Mah new Jazzmaster :O

Best answers
As said earlier in the santa thread, I got an olympic white Japanese Jazzmaster for Christmas (well, actually New Year), and it's made of pure win.

Most of you will probably hate this guitar for multiple reasons (oddly shaped body, silly bridge, made by Fender (looking at you Lee!)), but I frigging love it.. Has a very versatile sound, I can even pull out some nasty metal sound, but above all, it looks awesome.

Anyway, to those that hate them because the bridge sucks.. I can't blame you. Don't get me wrong, the bridge is fine if you don't play hard, but once you start getting into an agressive mood, it's easy to let the strings pop out of the saddles. But I'm going to fix that by getting some Mustang saddles, they only have one groove and it's pretty deep, so it won't pop out so easily. I'll probably get a Buzzstopper as well, but bridgebuzzing isn't really that much of an issue.

Another downside is the neck pickup that seems to be giving a tad too much noise (barely noticable though), but I heard that was rather common with the Japanese pickups, so I might replace them with original Jazzmaster pickups (Seymour Duncan Vintage '57)

Apart from that, it plays and sounds awesome (imo), and it's superb as long as you don't go smashing your guitar around. A massive upgrade for the crappy Jackson I had before.

Anyways, pix:

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice!

Are those double humbuckers? They look like extra fat standard pickups.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome!

And Cuc, those are single coils.

Make a video of you playing, Bolteh! =D

Best answers
Ye, they're flat wound single coils producing a neat warm sound.

I would post a video if I was actually advanced in playing guitar, I can only do basic chords, powerchords and slow lead, nothing that impressive to actually post a video of :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, post a video anyway, so we can hear the guitar's awesomeness. We won't make fun (at least the ones of us with any sense of decency won't).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
actually, those are called Soapbar pickups, or P-90's if you want to be technical.

they are almost a cross between a humbucker and a single coil.

Cuc, i'd like to point out to you that there's no such thing as a "double humbucker", that name is what people who don't know what they are call them. allow me to explain the difference between different pickup types.

Single coil: a single magnetic strip, with a metal pin for each string it will be picking up, wound with an electronic coil. it produces a fairly weak signal, as much of the magnetic spread is lost. tends to be used by people who want a bluesy, or thin sound.

Humbuckers: so named because they have two alternately wound coils, which produces an alternate current at each end. being magnets, this stops the electromagnetic spread, confining the entire signal to the twin coils. because of this, it picks up more vibrations, gives a much fuller sound, and stops the "hum" you get from the discharge of a single coil.

Soapbar: named because they look like a bar of soap. much like a single coil it only has one winding, but rather than being wound horisontally round the pegs, it's wound vertically across the magnetic plate, with the pegs fitting between the windings. because of this the sound tends to be a bit fuller than single coils, but muddier than a humbucker. they will still buzz, but not as much as a single coil, because while a single coils magnetic "north" will be at the strings, a soapbars will be inside the body of the guitar.

cool stuff. was never a fan of those guitars, just couldn't get on with the body, and the necks were too fat for me :(

but it does look pretty =] gratz.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was almost positive that they were single pickups because they didn't have the alternating pegs.

That being said, I said double humbucker to reference the fact that there was two of them, I was unaware of the Soapbar style coils.

I need to get a better amp, the little guy I have is great for porting the sound around but I need a big one for that serious sound :p

Best answers
Well, no video, but did record something a minute ago.. The heavy distortion at the end feels way too greasy though :) Had a decent distortion this afternoon, but since the guitar is pretty new and i'm still figuring out the different pickup settings as well as the rhytmn switch + volume and tone of the neck pickup..

Come to think of it, this sample really sucks, but meh, take a listen anyway.

http://users.pandora.be/bolteh/Muziek/huh.mp3

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very nice, better than my playing IMO, by far.

I'll try and post something tommorow, so you can all see how bad I suck :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That guitar has some sweet warm tones in it. Not at all bad playing either. How long have you been at it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow Bolteh, you are pretty good at playing guitar.

Also, congratulations.
Your guitar is far superior to what i had.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as soon as i get a decent soundcard for recording, i'll output from the back of my amp to my pc =]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pretty awesome attempts there, nice job with the intro for the Beast and the Harlet!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Okay, since everyone's posting their master-pieces, time for me to post mine XD.

http://threebishes.googlepages.com/Paranoidmojaverzija.mp3

http://threebishes.googlepages.com/warpigssolo.mp3

first one is Paranoid, without the solo of course, since I haven't figured it out yet, but I have the riffs down. Second one is me attempting the War Pigs solo, not so good at it yet :D.

And last but not least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di5Simj-XTI

Me playing the romanian anthem. Recorded that one a while ago. I have an acoustic guitar so it sounds like crap, but I'm playing it rather accurately, I think.

EDIT:

On topic: That baby sounds awesome, Bolt. Hope my future Epiphone has a sound similar to that.....

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
as soon as i get a decent soundcard for recording, i'll output from the back of my amp to my pc =]
Lee, if you would be so kind as to post the two videos you posted in the past again, I need to resave them to my pc <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom