Macbook Pro... hmm?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just checking the Apple site...are there even Mac's that are delivered with either a nVidia Quadro or ATI FireGL?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually use a Macbook Pro (Early 2008 version), since the University of the Arts requires all students to have one (comes with a discounter laptop, oodles of software, external hard drive, among other things)

I love it. I installed two more gbs of ram to the default 2gb (I think the new ones already come with 4gb). I used to always use Flash on PC, and while that was a few years old, I find the work flow and speed of Adobe Programs faster on a Mac. The OS is also well designed and you do not have to worry about viruses as much since not a lot are written for OSX.

I researched to why I always read that "Macs are the standard for design" and I think Macs just make the process smoother. Another fact is that Macs have a better gamma output than PCs, so pictures and what have you appear more brilliant on a Mac then a PC screen. I also read that Adobe programs are originally for Macs and then ported to PCs, so that Macs are their native environment.

I do not care about gaming on a computer too much, so Mac's lack of games compared to PCs did not really bother me. Besides, you can still install windows on a separate partition on a Mac using the built in "Bootcamp" program. The graphics card mine came with seems pretty decent, I can't run the Sims 3 at full settings without slow down, but I do not know about replacing the graphics card of a Macbook Pro. Also, 3DS Max does not have a Mac version. If I choose to dabble in 3D in Mac, I always thought Maya or Lightwave would do the trick.

iLife suite (or is it iWork?) is nice. iTunes runs much better on my Mac than on the PC, iPhoto an excellent way to organize your photos, art, and even movies. You can tag people by face, places by map, create "smart albums" and it provides surprisingly good quick-edit tools. I also find that my Mac handles video conversion/exporting a lot faster and with less incompatibilities than PC.

But I still think the Macs are over priced. They do offer an experience better than *some* PCs, but the price does not warrant it. But I say get one, especially since your an artist.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the details Chakra, prettymuch confirmed that It would be what I'm looking for. I didnt know that max didnt run on macs, but since I really want to learn how to use maya properly, it'd be kinda neat. It's zbrush that I'm more concerned with 3d wise anyhow.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to do media stuff, get a mac. I've had a MBP for 3 years and I love it. Oh, and what Chakra said.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest, Dave. i don't think a mac will benefit you at this point.

if all you're using it as is a digital sketch book, then it's too much buck, not enough bang. you can get windows OS machines a lot cheaper, with equal or greater performance...

by that, i mean that you're not JUST going to be using it for sketches, you're going to want to install 3d software on there (some software just isn't mac compatable.... full stop), not to mention you'll need SOME games on there just for their editors for rendering or previewing models.

photoshop may run smoother on a mac, but you'll get as good a result from any PC.

running a Wacom will hurt battery life for sure, using it out and about you'll probably only get 2/3 the life that you'd get without it. but it's a really handy thing to have dude =]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'd be cheaper just to build a Hackintosh, which I think would be fun to try. Does portability matter to you?

They are more expensive, but if you buy the cheapest ram and smallest hard drive, you can upgrade it yourself at a discount (I'd check the prices first).

Personally, I just hate the elitism Macs inspire. It turned my brother from a PC user into a douchebag Mac user who can't stop talking about how his Mac is the most perfection creation ever invented by man (it's not). I'm just in it for cheap pragmatism.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think...you'd regret getting a mac. You would probably get frustrated with the lack of mac versions of software you currently use on windows and end up using XP as your main OS anyway. Macs use Intel processors now so you'd basically be getting an overpriced PC with OSX on it. You say gaming doesn't matter to you but I think that'd change pretty damn fast when you end up paying over thousand dollars for a laptop and you can't get full functionality out of it without running XP. All because macs are supposedly ideal for graphic design people? Don't be fooled by the pretty looks. PCs can do anything a mac can do and more...and that includes running OSX.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think...you'd regret getting a mac. You would probably get frustrated with the lack of mac versions of software you currently use on windows and end up using XP as your main OS anyway. Macs use Intel processors now so you'd basically be getting an overpriced PC with OSX on it. You say gaming doesn't matter to you but I think that'd change pretty damn fast when you end up paying over thousand dollars for a laptop and you can't get full functionality out of it without running XP. All because macs are supposedly ideal for graphic design people? Don't be fooled by the pretty looks. PCs can do anything a mac can do and more...and that includes running OSX.
this....

to run 3dsmax on a mac you need to use boot camp, and while it's "supported" by Autodesk, i've heard nothing but bad things about it...

Force Pit Member
Best answers
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAyBaNwDX8c[/ame]

All the portability of an air, twice the power. And a CD drive!

Just kidding. But seriously:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HP-HDX16-1370US-16-Inch-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B002BH4PRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252424129&sr=8-1[/ame]

Vs

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC226LL-17-Inch-Laptop/dp/B002C745WS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252424338&sr=8-5[/ame]

I mean really? I have no issues with apple other than their price. And I'm willing to bet you can find a laptop on ebay for much much cheaper than those two. Regardless though, apple will always be more pricey.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think that i am going to buy imac, is a nice pc for grafic desing, more or less can cost arround 1000 or 1300,20 or 24'' LCD res 1.680 por 1.050 (20'') or 1.920 1.200 (24 '') 4 (or 8 )GB de memory DDR3 a 1.066 MHz,Serial ATA de until 1 TB, hard disk,Core 2 Duo de Intel 2,66 GHz /3,06 GHz. Además,also 6 MB cache,GeForce GT 130 from NVIDIA and Radeon HD 4850 from ATI.
i think that is a good pc for 3d,photoshop,is a computer for Grafic desing,but also you can play games.
is good!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still dont think you get the reason I want it :S

The majority of stuff that you mention I can do on my PC anyway (which will still be my main computer), but I just want a mac to do work, and I really do love working on a mac, I used them for 2 years at college and fell in love with them. I'd like to lock myself in my room free from distractions and work on it, rather than having all the distractions I have atm being stuck in the living room.

I do agree the price doesn't make sense, but on flexible finance, the one I want is about £40 a month, even if I lost my job, I could still pay for it easily, after my rent :S or alternatively, I could quit smoking and it pays for itself.

The only programs I want to use for work, are photoshop (amongst a few other adobe products) zbrush and maybe a 3d proggie. Since I want to learn maya anyway it'd be cool to use max on this machine and maya on another, also would give me a reason to learn it, whereas atm, it just sits on my pc and does nothing. I really dont want anything else, it's just for those things, and those only. Everything else, is what I'd use my PC for. And hell, they even let you run xp on a mac now on a partition too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Downside is though, as I said before, if you are planning on doing really serious work with maya, max and zbrush...I don't see how you would want either the nVidia 9400m or the 9600m GT. Although the 9600 is fine for average gaming capabilities, it is not made for rendering work, you'll really want a nVidia Quadro or Ati FireGL for that. As these cards are made specifically for CAD, 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave, what-have-you.

Then again, I don't know how seriously you want to work on your MacPro (maybe you just want to make 'drafts' and concepts on your laptop, and then work them out on your home PC). But it is stuff worth to think about if you plan to make your laptop somewhat future-proof.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I'm hoping to get a new pc when windows 7 and some decent direct X 11 cards come out, as far as it goes, the Macbook actually has 2 gigs more ram, a pretty equivalent card (ati 3870 hd on here) the only thing is I have a 3 gig Dual Core in my pc.

Quality of renders doesn't really bother me too much, im happy enough with what i can do on here for now, it's more about the learning and the skill advancement is what concerns me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
windows 7 is so ****ing pimp it's not even funny...

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If you're computer can do everything you need it to do now, I don't see why you need a new computer in the first place.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suggest you read my posts properly.

And yeah, windows 7 was hawt, specially on that monolith of a monitor you use :p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I suggest you read my posts properly.

And yeah, windows 7 was hawt, specially on that monolith of a monitor you use :p
I did. And I still can't figure out why you need something when you already have a computer than can do it. You said it yourself.

Maybe if you gave us reasons as to why a macbook pro would be better for you than whatever you have now, or even better than a new laptop that's almost 1/2 the price we could give you a better idea on whether the decision you want to make is a good one or not.

Needless to say, it's your decision, and your money, do what you want with both. However, I haven't been able to find one justifiable reason for you to buy a macbook pro. Hell, in this case, I can't find a good reason for you to even buy a new laptop. You already have a computer than can do the work. I don't see why you'd need another one.

And let's not forget, you have numerous posts pretty much stating the same thing I am. Some things you want to do may not even be do-able on your macbook pro because it might not be compatible, it's also much more expensive than a windows laptop, which will run everything under the sun and back.

But if you want an overpriced, under developed machine that might be compatible with what you want to do with it, then by all means, buy it. Have a blasty blast.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could render stuff on a Mac, let it do it's thing and still have the PC open to play games n' stuff. Even the newest MacBook Pros, regardless of general computing power, can still render pretty well even if you have 2 gigs of RAM (that's what my Mac has, although it's 3 years old, so you're would be a lot sexier at rendering then mine).

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You could render stuff on a Mac, let it do it's thing and still have the PC open to play games n' stuff. Even the newest MacBook Pros, regardless of general computing power, can still render pretty well even if you have 2 gigs of RAM (that's what my Mac has, although it's 3 years old, so you're would be a lot sexier at rendering then mine).
Okay. That would make sense, except the price factor comes into play. Why get a mac to do the rendering when you can get a cheaper laptop to do it, while you go and play games?

Although, I won't lie, if I had another laptop to render my video's so I could still play wow (god i'm sad), then yeah, that'd be cool. But I usually start the render and go to sleep or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, I think ya'll need to get over all the Mac hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom