low poly thread, whos with me.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ill start,

(may or may not texture it)

70 tris over my goal, but the hair came out a bit sloppy. im sure if i didnt count the sword (which i shouldnt) and cleaned that up i could meet my 500 tri budget easily =P.

Best answers
I havent been doing much modeling lately but once I seen this thread I got some motivation and well this is my lowest poly character model I've ever made.. if anyone could help me unwrap the mesh so I can try to skin him pm me and I'll send..

Discord Member
Best answers
hehe my "entry" in this deal
To be honest as i started didnt plan the end result to be a DBZ char but well...it just happened XD
This is my first low poly thingie out of my head with no blueprints so im pretty satisfied, there are 510 Triangles so far
Considering i have to make hair..could go as far as 800 in the end, but Nuttzy thank you for posting this topic, this was refreshing :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
shadowcast, it's getting there, but there's a lot of polies you can remove to make room for the hair.

the key to low poly modeling, is to think "what's the boldest shape i can make, with the lowest number of verticies". for example, you've got all the colours there, which is great, but to get those colours you've had to make more cuts than needed, which pushed up the polycount. and because those details are internal, and don't add anything to the overall shape, all they're doing is wasting polygons.

Discord Member
Best answers
thank you jesus for your feedback LOL (this sounds so friggin funny) thank you oh gods son, but anyhow..
If it isn't a problem id like it if you pm'd me your msn, so i can bug you on msn for all the modeling thingies xD

(on a side note)
I've tweaked alot of vegetas body..
enjoy :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright so what is that highest amount allowed? Well the poly count that is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there is no "highest count allowed". set your own limit, but it's not really low poly if it's anywhere near 1k.

Discord Member
Best answers

mesh is more or less finished...polycount is 589 tris...which is pretty satisfying for me :)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just for the sake of putting a number on it, lets say 750 tris, feel free to go above it if you feel you have to but remember, the entire idea is to get the most shape out of the least amount of polys possible.

Dont make extra cuts just to color it, anything that CAN be textured on leave for the texture, even if you dont plan on doing so, the SHAPE is whats important in this excercise =P.

i personally shot for under 500, and my finished model rang in at 479, and even at that i see where i could easily shave off maybe another 20 or so.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you're going to add a texture, 256x256 is the max.

Best answers
update

heres an NEW update,
-244 polys later.. I wanted to get under 750..
changed his fingers to a glove and got rid of his eyes/mask and his utility belt..

Last edited:
I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers

nobody said that it needs to be a character :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom