Loving it. Everything. *Bug Testing Session w/ Info Inside*

Best answers
I want to start testing some of the things. Around this Thursday @ 5 pm est time. It is not to play or to get a score. Will be doing diffrent types of test. It will be boring. If you want in to help let me know in here.

Btw I love the direction ESF is going. I know alot of people will whine because of the changes..and it is diffrent. I want to say tho i love the swoop..and hope things stay the same.

Will be posting on the bug forums what i found so far. Yet..This is the open beta chat. I think we should use this time to help the time and really test it. Setting up times like I have and trying to crash the servers. This is how esf testers use to do it. We should all pitch in and work on it.

Retired
Best answers
good idea, i changed the topic title to reelect the actual contents a little more. might attract more people. hope it helps

Best answers
Thanks. I am hoping to get more people to test. I think things like this will do it.

Retired
Best answers
better yet i'll sticky this topic for joo so people will see it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this would be a pretty good idea to have a set time for testing on the official server or whatnot.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Pcjoe in thread "ESF 1.3: Not what you expected?"
You have a good point, and it's a good point indeed. I'm actually quite surprised we didn't receive more post than this saying how incomplete 1.3 is; I expected to reply to a lot more "This game sucks ass!!?!?! wtf, omfg, bbq!!!" threads, rather than actual suggestion and bug submission threads (not saying this thread is 'that' type of thread, since it's not).

Lets start from the top... We don't have a team of 30 people; the core of the ESF team is actually extremely small. Lets just look at the animations for a second. Across the 30 something models we have in ESF now, the majority of them need custom animations. Take a second and download Half-Life Model Viewer (if you don't already have it) and open up the frieza4.mdl model for example. Just go to ref_powerup_charge for example. Note how detailed it is; even the mouth moves (if you go through all of the animations, you'll notice a lot of small details; the mouth moving in and out, sometimes chest expanding, etc etc...). Go to the same animation goku. Different? yes. Go to the SAME animation on SSJ goku. Different? Go to the -same- animation on SSJ2 goku, once again different.. And for kicks, check it out on SSJ3 goku. In this case, we have, and for the most part, always had one animator which is our beloved Darktooth. This is just reflecting that we don't have this 'huge' team to beast away our work; it's normally the work of an individual or two.

and others (don't be offended if I left you out team -_-)... I think in the ways of models, skins, maps, etc, we have quite a bit of material. Nearly all of the characters are complete, and a lot of the animations are complete as well. So, that leaves the code front...

First, I'm going to be honest with you; the speed at which the code has been going at was not ideal for the past couple years. On my part, due to the fact that I entered college and would much rather prefer socializing with friends over sitting in my room and programming is quite a kicker. I'm only 19 years old and do like spending my time doing other things ^_^; Also since I'm on co-op right now programming full time, coming home to more programming is quite a challenge as well.

Even so, they're just excuses, and I really can't give you a hard set reason why the progress is so lacking. A lot of stuff has been implemented, but for the most part, it's smaller things you won't find on your first or second play through.

So, as you probably know, besides the generalized stuff I do, my 'main' projects are the fx script and melee systems. In regards to the fx script system, it's so close, but the GUI isn't done. It's just a lot of freakin work. If I honestly knew it would have taken this much, I completely wouldn't have started it. It's too late to turn back now though, and the core code is literally finished... So, just have to keep on rolling with it. At this point the source for the fx script is spread across 40 someodd files totaling 569KB. To put it into context, the rest of the client code (written by valve and the esf team) totals a little less than 2MB, which spans across more than 150 files... The main point isn't "oh, look how much code I wrote!! weee!!", but rather to show that I have been working extremely hard on it, and it's almost there. Without an intuitive graphical user interface though, the entire system would be useless since our artists wouldn't be able to use it. As far as I know, our artists don't like editing raw XML to generate scripted events and particle systems

So, Melee system? It hasn't been touched; we've been through at least 20 different melee system write ups and just a few weeks ago we finally decided on something we're happy with. Ridiculous that it took us that long? Yeah, but what can you do -_- I don't think it's going to be too hard to implement though, so with some luck, you should see some progress with that soon after I finish up the fx script.

So, where does this leave us now.. Yes, open beta... Like I've said before, it's our attempt to interact with the community some more, and actually let you guys impact the direction ESF is going in. Not only that, but I personally hoped it would show you guys that, yeah, progress over the past couple years kind of sucked, but we're back and ****in' serious about getting stuff done. It would be retarded if we decided to do bi-weekly releases and have them nearly identical every time. My personal hope is that you guys make some suggestions on the forums on how something should be handled (for example, in relations to swooping), and in the next inteam go like - wholy ****, they actually implemented the changes I suggested less than 2 weeks ago o_O. And the same thing with the bug submissions... Hopefully over the next couple months you guys will see that we're serious about wrapping up ESF development, and you'll put the lack of development before hand behind you.
That was pretty well said. I think a lot of the members and ESF players are mature enough not to approach it in the way you thought they might. About the open Beta; it's quite something to be honest--like any open beta release it's going to have bugs and kinks to work out (just think of it as a premature-open beta), but what I think matters is the team actually put their hearts into this project and have been dedicated to it for years even though they're making practically no profit from it. That should be enough for people to understand that there are some people out there who are willing to put their all into things like this; Dragon Ball Z - it's all about imagination and ambition. The team's a group of wild and awesome fans who gave life to something and shared it with fans alike.

ESF 1.3
I'm impressed. I understand your guys' situation with those losers and I know it called for tough decisions - to be honest, I don't know why anyone would do something that cold. We're all here for the fun, no one's winning or losing, but there are some people who just have no brains--I don't understand the point in stealing someone's hard work and threatening to divulge it (private information and/or software)--savagery, especially when they won't gain anything from it--not even money. What's the point? They must be a bunch of schmucks in the real world.

The mod: It has the same feel as ESF 1.2.3, except it's like it went Super Saiyan. I couldn't care if it isn't finished, it caught my eye and it's still just as addicting. The animations are superb--they are just totally awesome. The models are great as well, and the skins, and the sprites - the coding so far seems pretty nice as well, you guys are pro. I can only stress how much I'm enjoying the additions and alterations... it's quite visually attractive now, and I can already tell you I enjoy it over any of the Budokai videogames, but I know that once it's complete I'll probably never play another DB Atari game ever again.

Android 18: She is HOT. Who modelled/animated her? Just amazing... excellent work.
I imagine there'll be plenty of Bulma, Videl, ChiChi & other character edits being made with her. Please don't make any nude ones. Please.

The other models look great, too. You're all doing a great job with this. Keep it up...

EDIT: It's alright to post here, aye?

Discord Member
Best answers
I must agree.......ESF is the best DBZ game available.........
Models are superb.......and the animations as well.....
They all catched that lil' something from DBZ.....you can actually feel like your watching a DBZ episode......
And to think that all of this was done by one man....great job DT..:)
Models.....They are awesome........If you ask me they ace the ones from teh ATARI games.....
The maps......are awesome.........I love the city map......
The code seems pretty stable.........a few bugs here and there....but i cant tell much about the code since im not a coder.
You did an awesome job ESF team.........ignore the ones who say that it sucks...the people who say that are mostly new members........
And its actually good in a way......you will loose the guys who never had any faith in you.......or in the game......
Thats all i have to say..........
Good job ESF team..........keep it going :)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG, is that Slim posting.

I know that's not my bro slim. Cause if it were, he'd say hi.

🌠 Staff
Best answers
Android 18: She is HOT. Who modelled/animated her? Just amazing... excellent work.
I was the one that modeled it. But in all honestly i still dont like how she turned out. modeling female characters is not one of my strong points, never was. Kama is also *****ing i need to redo the head of the model, even as i type this the bastard.

Im glad others still enjoy it though. Id also like to thank those that told me ingame the other day how cool my models were, makes one feel good to know ones work doesnt go unappreciated. Anyways, hopefully we'll have a few more ingame by next release <<

Keep up the testing~!

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My server is always open for some real testing if you guys want. Just talk to me on IRC and I have have it locked up tighter then a nun's panties. :)

Best answers
OMG, is that Slim posting.

I know that's not my bro slim. Cause if it were, he'd say hi.
Hey man! Ya. I at last got some free time. So wanted to help test some with the open beta. Phob. I might ask you for that...I want to really get some hardcore testing done. Not have to worry about people joining and messing around.

Still looking for people to help. If the time is bad. Post it. I will try and work around it.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My ping usually sucks all the time but I'd still like to try it out.
When exactly though?
Since time zones are very different around here, are you going by GMT 0?

Best answers
I will probaly be available count me in!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might be able to go. I'll be in school during that time for another 30 minutes or so, but after that I'll be able to go. What time does it end?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've got some free time that day, so count me in

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you need an invitation for this party, or can anyone join? o/

If I have the time for it, I'll try to join and help you guys out. :3

Best answers
My server is always open for some real testing if you guys want. Just talk to me on IRC and I have have it locked up tighter then a nun's panties. ;)
I want to test 1.3 with t3h Phobius !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom