Lost Coast

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For all of those who did not know; The Lost Coast has been released.

I read that the Lost Coast requires a good machine to run it at full quality since it's requirements seem to be greater than Half-Life 2 itself.

Best answers
1GB of ram is the MINIMUM! If you have less it will not install.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy **** are you serious? Where have you seen this? I saw a lost coast video and it didn't seem that bad -.-

That's worse than F.E.A.R. 1 gig is recomeneded not the minimum :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll take some screenshots in a few minutes ;).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
double you tea Eff? It says "this game is currently unavailable. It won't let me play :(

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to restart Steam. When you start Steam up again the news window will pop-up confirming it has been released. It will also have a link that you HAVE to click on in order for Steam to start loading the Lost Coast to your hard drive.

Note: It will take a while for it to download due to its size. Also on the Steampowered forums people seem to have problems downloading it, so far the solution is to shut down Steam and wait a few minutes then start Steam up again.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I figured that out. But thanks anyways. It's nothing special. It's only about HDR lighting which is in DoD source already. nothing special. It's really short.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Something new and pretty comes out for PC. So I have to now come in and complain about the lack of anything good in my computer and how it can't run the game but I wish it could.

Anyways, I guess i'll have to go over to a buddies house tomorrow and try it out.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You didn't do the audio comentary Smith? If you haven't tried it already, I recommend it. It was quite interesting. Though half the time I didn't know what they were talking about.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And here I am still lacking a good gfx (& now corrupted textures in the source engine, but may be resolved if I reformat my machine, I suspect my memory may possibly be ****ed :().

That's some seckseh gfx they got going there.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Yeah I figured that out. But thanks anyways. It's nothing special. It's only about HDR lighting which is in DoD source already. nothing special. It's really short.
Technically this is something special if your into game development or mod making.

The Lost Coast was nothing more than a demonstration of the Source engine technology and also the commentary tells you many interesting things.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it me? Or does it seem a little over exagerated? I notice when I look up into the sky(even near the sun) it isn't THAT bright. I mean sure it's bright, but it's not that bad. I can't look at the sky in Lost Coast with out going "ouch my eyes" which I only have to do when i look directly at the sun. I try to avoid that as much as possible. But it's still cool none the less.

Best answers
Smith| said:
Pfft, basically repeats of mine =P.
Heh, well it's such a small level it's kinda hard to avoid that ;)

However I bet you don't have the fisherman looking at freeman with disgust :O

Has anyone else noticed that if you take his spear and throw it into the small village or into the water (which is infested with leeches) or even take it with you for the entire level, he will still have it with him at the end? o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, aside from the ones in the church-like building with the sunlight filtering through the windows, i'm pretty unimpressed with what i've seen so far. Maybe it's the fact that it's not in motion glowing at me, but it doesn't look worthy of an OMG to me. I mean, we have a similar-looking effect in BTL, Half-Life 1 engine.

I'm going to go home tomorrow just to check it out, I just about meet the minimum spec required to install =)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How much was used to determine the HDR is incredible in my opinion even though I am easily fascinated with things of a technological nature which many consider small or insignificant.

Besides, the Lost Coast was not made for people to be shocked, it was made merely for demonstration. Many people believe that the Lost Coast is supposed to be something revolutionary (even though I consider it to be revolutionary in terms of technology). Just look at the steampowered forums and see how many people believe the Lost Coast is supposed to be like an expansion pack or a ground breaking release.

Ravendust said:
Meh, aside from the ones in the church-like building with the sunlight filtering through the windows, i'm pretty unimpressed with what i've seen so far. Maybe it's the fact that it's not in motion glowing at me, but it doesn't look worthy of an OMG to me. I mean, we have a similar-looking effect in BTL, Half-Life 1 engine.
Sure you might be able to give the illusion of HDR in an outdated engine though BTL probably will not take the same steps Valve did to make HDR.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are Valve going to be intergrating the technology in Lost Coast (HDR and better shadows) into the rest of HL2, or even Aftermath or CS: Source?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Are Valve going to be intergrating the technology in Lost Coast (HDR and better shadows) into the rest of HL2, or even Aftermath or CS: Source?
Every game Valve makes from now on will have HDR in it, so that includes Aftermath. They've also stated that they will be putting HDR in CS: Source. HL2 on the otherhand, may or may not get converted into HDR, not decided yet (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom