Looks like I did this one too. First models ever

Best answers
Heya all,

The past few days I was hitting the 3DSM books. After 5 days of practicing and watching tutorials I finally learned perfectly all about 3DSM including how to work with the reactor or underwater effects. Still need to learn how to UVW-map anyway.
If anybody have a tutorial for it please post it here or hit me up with an PM (only for that). I will really like to learn how to do that too!

Now I would like to thank you Nataku for teaching me online how to make a model face and for 3DBuzz.com for making so many awesome tutorials. After practicing a little, this was my first model ever in max...

Sawing that I was not skilled enough I decided to quit that face and spend all my days in 3DSM and on the internet. lol I was simply attracted by how easy is to create things in max.

So without further typing here is with what I come by chucking a box:
Yes that guy has a mouth, tongue, eyes and eyebrows to close his eyes. Also a tummy, bones structure etc (see the pictures)

http://www.dbzhood.com/GokuSSJ/pics5/alien04.jpg

http://www.dbzhood.com/GokuSSJ/pics5/alien05.jpg

Now I’m ready to finish what I started (that Gohan) and then return to the maps.
Going to work so fast now, knowing that is so easy to create the models…

later

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rofl, that's soo badass dude. Can you show a wire and non-meshsmoothed render please?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
impressive at what reading tutorials and focus could do for one in such a short time.

that alien is good tho the ribs could be better but meh

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Juding by the Gohan, they obviously didn't teach you jack about topology. Looks really sloppy and poorly constructed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those books took you quite a ways I'd say. Good work for such a short period.
Try looking into edge looping on google; the gohan needs some major work done to it before it starts to look good, but it shouldn't take you too long to start producing nice results.

Best answers
thanks all

I fullly agree with you Tek. When I first made that adult Gohan face (4 days ago) I wasn't that skilled. Now I can do a way better one in a short amount of time.

here is a smooth wire frame and a non meshsmooth render as you requested

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not all that much better =/ your edgelooping needs an awful lot of work. and you shouldnt be creating polies with 5/6/7/8 edges, keep everything to quads!!!! youll get a much nicer and more controlled result. at the moment your control cage looks very random, with all your polies jumbled around and just generally un-thought out.

i reccomend reading this tutorial: http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/hi_poly_tut.htm

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
polies with 5/6/7/8 edges, keep everything to quads!!!!
I feel inclined, due to lack of complete understanding of the topic, to inquire about that statement. Upon inspection of the wireframe on both the gohan face picture and the alien wireframes, I notice only rectangles (quadrilaterals) and triangles... Considering I have little knowledge in that area, can AxMan explain why he mentions "5/6/7/8 edges" there? so my input can be more accurate.

**Edit: Ty for pointing that out, Ax ^^;**

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh, so you completely ignored the head then? look at the top ridge on the eyes, the cheeks. theres verticies in there which arent connected for sure. how else would you get a curved edge?

ZuL

Best answers
Ever heard about smoothing groups? ^^

Best answers
Dear Mad_AxMan

thank you for replying so could and ruthless to a beginner modeler like me : S
let's take the sarcasm away and be serious

I didn’t wanted to create a really high poly model so I tried to keep the thing as clean as possible. This thing has 1420 faces so I’m happy with it.
Also if you take a close look at the eyes you will see that are pop up from his head. Under the eyes there are some eyebrows (or how you call this?). Also if you counted the vertex from the legs, chest, arms and neck you will notice that I made that for a easy and better movement (for animations movements). Maybe your right about the cheeks but you must understand that I tried to connect a edge there but it ruins the mouth shape.

Pics bellow:

regards for the link anyway

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
er... if your not going for high poly, then why are you pressing the meshsmooth button?

how did you manage to get bends in the edges without verticies there? because as far as im aware, you have to have a straight edge between 2 verticies.

if you add an edge and it "ruins the mouth" then your mesh is unstable, and you need to think about how to resolve your edgeloops better.

my point still stands, your mesh is random, with many unresolved verticies, and its a mess.

Best answers
how did you manage to get bends in the edges without verticies there? because as far as im aware, you have to have a straight edge between 2 verticies.
A hint to you. Try to look better in the 3d studio max tools, and you will find out.
Look for the bend tool...
Anyway I don't want to argue with you coz I kill my precios time.

have a good day

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
lol, i thought the same thing.
You are actually relying on the meshsmooth to define your mesh. Just look at your unsmoothed picture, that is how the model actually looks. If you are aiming for a clean mesh i would advis to stay away from meshsmooth and define the model using polys you actually put in yourself.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok, well, since your obviously too good to listen to the criticisms of people on this forum, i would suggest you start posting on the http://boards.polycount.net/ubbthreads.php boards. hopefully you will listen there though, because if you dont listen to those guys, then there is no hope for you at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Goku[SSJ] said:
A hint to you. Try to look better in the 3d studio max tools, and you will find out.
Look for the bend tool...
Anyway I don't want to argue with you coz I kill my precios time.

have a good day
The bend is there because you have the isoline display button checked for either meshsmooth or nurbs subdivision.

A suggestion to you: Don't get defensive when people who've modelled for longer than a week try to help you out. No one's trying to offend you, we're just being blunt about what you need to do to get better.

Best answers
I Just couldent resist to post ^^

Ontopic : Gokussj this model is briliantly Constructed, im lookin forward to see more of your amazing skills :) keep up the amazing work. :)
Offtopic:
First of all Madaxman dont act like a man who knows everything, I know you want to share with your knowledge but acting in a Sarcastic way will not help in anything.
You leaved your opinion about that Edges but you should end on that. Dont tell him that his mesh is a mess( which is not). He's mesh is beutifull and clean, and you should see that. You dont see the Good point's of this thread and Gokussj idea by posting it. Its he s second model and giving him offending crits will not help in Anything. He did an awsome job by makin that alien model, and its briliantly constructed. Its a succes that he made it by 5 days of practice .Only you try to find negative things in every threads, you r lookin for chances to find other ppl mistakes :) thats weird dude, think about that.And saying that you give him crits its a excuse for kids. :)But Gokussj want s to keep this closed so take my post personaly ^^ .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
those crits will help gokussj improve his skill and i think he should accept them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Critiquing a model means finding the negative things about it and pointing them out -_-;
It helps if you mix in a bit of praise, but sugar coating everything by saying that its a wonderfully fantastic model hurts way more than it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom