lol Jack Thompson.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't argue with this man... Halo 3 made me hate the terrorists.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Duke Nukem made me want kick a$$ and chew bubble gum......and im alll outta gum.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
lawl, jack and his paranoia ... always good for a laugh.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know Jack Thompson is evil incarnate and all that jazz, but he isn't necessarily wrong about this one. It's no coincidence that the military is training soldiers using virtual reality or that controlling UAV's is pretty much like flying an aircraft in a video game. The military may not be paying people to create games that glorify war, but they're certainly making it as easy as possible for our generation to make the transition from civilian to killing machine. How do you do that? Make it as close to our hobby as possible. If a 90-Star General came to my house and said, "We're being invaded! Quickly! Use this joystick to control the UAV and bomb them", I'd probably be able to do it. Or if I, for whatever reason, had to control one of those r/c cars brimming with weaponry, I'd probably be able to that do that, too, thanks to video games.

I think he's on the right track, but he needs to get off of his crazy-cycle and avoid saying the DoD has managed to take control of the entire video game industry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with everything you just said, and that was entirely the point. I'm not denying that the line between videogames and reality is a little blurry when it comes to the military (like you said, same sort of controls for both videogames and bombing equipment), but the "unholy alliance" thing just made me laugh out loud. He must be on drugs to be this paranoid.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He probably feels he failed on the video game front, but doesn't want to let it go just yet, so instead he'll take another route and bring the government/military into the equation since they're both "easy" targets right now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's what he thought about Rockstar and Take Two and we all know how that worked out for him. Muppet.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BREAKING NEWS:

Jack Thompson, the Floridian-based lawyer best known for taking on the video game industry, was found dead in the trunk of his car, gagged, hog-tied, shot twenty times in the chest and three times in the head. His death has been ruled a suicide. Police say they found a suicide note nailed into the back of his skull, and do not suspect foul play at this time.

And now back to Bill, with the weather.

----------------------------------------------

It's not like it hasn't happened before.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone knows that hand/eye coordination is improved through tenured gaming.

The difference is he's trying (once again) to shift the obvious lack of parents teaching their kids common sense.

Why do we pay so much attention to what he says?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cause its amusing.

i doubt theres really many "important" people that will listen to a man thats been so discredited like he has been.

btw, i thought military gaming was referred to as a "virtual reality" "simulator"?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is nonsense.

Violent games, such as fps, are played mainly because of the fact that they are competitive, based on the results of team work ( communication , that is ), skills. This is also called as Bloodsport/e-sport. These games usually have an achievement to be accomplished from both teams. For example: planting a bomb in to the designated area, while other team tries to prevent this from happening. After either team wins, it gives a feeling of satisfaction. Doesn't this sound a lot like some sport? In fact it does.

I can't argue that some might actually really shoot people all because of the videogames they play. Each one of these individuals are mentally sick people. Then there are the ones, who want to kill anyway, but hide behind the curtain in order to escape the justice & punishment. They also get a nice amount of money this way.

Jack Thompson is the most mediocre person ever to live in the 21st century.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People still care about him because he's trying to destroy the videogame industry/scene once and for all.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Trying and failing miserably, and the way to make him keep failing is to stop giving him attention. No media access = fail for Thompson

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom