Logan has some 'puter questions!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1) I have a pentium 3 right now. I wanna upgrade to a pentium 4. So can I simply replace the 2 or do I need any other new quipment to do it (such as a new motherboard, ect)

2) I'm looking for a new graphics card. I have a GeForce 4 TI 4200 right now. I got it in order to play FFXI on my low budget. but now because of my new job, I can buy something better...but I don't plan on going overkill because my computer isn't really made for really top-of-the-line graphics cards unless I upgrade the whole thing (as far as I know, a graphics card can't go its full potential unless the computer is powerful enough for it). So What graphics card do you reccomend for a computer thats just a pentium 3 (trying to become a pentium 4) with 256MB ram, but is strong enough to make FFXI look really nice, but not overly powerful as if I were trying to play Half-Life 2 or Doom 3?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
You need a new motherboard.

Also I suggest, if you game alot, AMD.

Also they are cheaper price/performance wise.

Also the 512 MB ram is more important, the Geforce 4 TI 4200 is fine for FFXI for the moment.

So get an 939, AGP motherboard with new set of 512 MB ram.

Also ofcourse an AMD processor.(I suggest the 3000)

This is about €100+€55+€120= €275 or in dollars, $332,50

This is pretty low budget and after you bought this, and you have about 200 euro(In two months orso), you can get yourself a nice 6800 GT or maybe a normal mainstream model of the G70 series.(If one will be AGP ofcourse :p)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
You need a new motherboard.

Also I suggest, if you game alot, AMD.

Also they are cheaper price/performance wise.

Also the 512 MB ram is more important, the Geforce 4 TI 4200 is fine for FFXI for the moment.

So get an 939, AGP motherboard with new set of 512 MB ram.

Also ofcourse an AMD processor.(I suggest the 3000)

This is about €100+€55+€120= €275 or in dollars, $332,50

This is pretty low budget and after you bought this, and you have about 200 euro(In two months orso), you can get yourself a nice 6800 GT or maybe a normal mainstream model of the G70 series.(If one will be AGP ofcourse :p)
Ah thanks. I'll see if I can e-bay most of it for dirt-cheap prices.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're going to go with new mobo/cpu, then go ahead for PCI-E. AGP is being phased out a lot faster than many people would like. G70, according to nVidia, is never being released on AGP. The next radeon card will, but I feel that it'll be the last high-end part released on AGP.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Smith| said:
If you're going to go with new mobo/cpu, then go ahead for PCI-E. AGP is being phased out a lot faster than many people would like. G70, according to nVidia, is never being released on AGP. The next radeon card will, but I feel that it'll be the last high-end part released on AGP.
Then he has to buy a new videocard and he is on lowbudget.

There are motherboards who has an ULi-chipset, which means, AGP and PCI-E on one motherboard ;).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
Then he has to buy a new videocard and he is on lowbudget.

There are motherboards who has an ULi-chipset, which means, AGP and PCI-E on one motherboard ;).
Those boards have been utter crap , gigabyte's version was very bad (they did this back when the lga platform was just introduced) and it sucked hardcore (but gigabyte sucks regarless , atleast imo , gigabyte boards lack overclocking potentional) Of course though there are some others , but you won't be able to use 3.3volt agp cards in them (damage the card or the board , i think biostar did that). But still that's a waste of a channel on the north bridge

i actually have a pretty simlar system upstairs in my brother's room , 933 , 256mb sd , asus cusl-2c & a leadtek geforce ti4200 (used at lans for games like generals and battledfiled 1942 + mods). However though as suggested aboce i would go with the amd64 939 upgrade (i will be getting a 939 based setup soon enough , just got pull a few more pennies out of my ass ;o).

If you can't wait for a proce drop on a 6800gt and must have something now for a new gfx card , then get a 6600gt (that's if you do the full switch to pcie)

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
Those boards have been utter crap , gigabyte's version was very bad (they did this back when the lga platform was just introduced) and it sucked hardcore (but gigabyte sucks regarless , atleast imo , gigabyte boards lack overclocking potentional) Of course though there are some others , but you won't be able to use 3.3volt agp cards in them (damage the card or the board , i think biostar did that). But still that's a waste of a channel on the north bridge
Big bull****.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471&p=9

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:

I could say the same thing again , it is a waste on the bridge. And the "common" ones you will find say not to use 3.3v cards... So anyone using a 3.3v card could kiss goodbye to it (you have to think of limits) They will most likely need to do a few revisions on this board to just like any other board , but bound to have various revisions....... Think of what you find throughout the mainboard market that will need a revision to fix a few things up (some nforce2 boards for example , people complained of dodgie sound)

The board you speak of at the moment all stated in that review

Andatech said:
We could wish for SATA 2 support and integrated Gigabit LAN, but even those are coming with the M1575 South Bridge slated for September/October production.
It his choice in the end , but you would have to wait for some more nice & useful features on the board. That's why i look for a board with alot of "useful" features other then opposed to one useful feature

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:

I could say the same thing again , it is a waste on the bridge. And the "common" ones you will find say not to use 3.3v cards... So anyone using a 3.3v card could kiss goodbye to it (you have to think of limits) They will most likely need to do a few revisions on this board to just like any other board , but bound to have various revisions....... Think of what you find throughout the mainboard market that will need a revision to fix a few things up (some nforce2 boards for example , people complained of dodgie sound)

The board you speak of at the moment all stated in that review

It his choice in the end , but you would have to wait for some more nice & useful features on the board. That's why i look for a board with alot of "useful" features other then opposed to one useful feature
The 3.3v vga cards are ancient ;x

Also, revision, hell it even happens with video cards, thats not a really good argument at all.

This will safe him lots of money since he doesnt have to upgrade his GF4TI.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
The 3.3v vga cards are ancient ;x

Also, revision, hell it even happens with video cards, thats not a really good argument at all.

This will safe him lots of money since he doesnt have to upgrade his GF4TI.
I am aware of that myself... But some mainboards take some revision , especialy considering the technology in bus wise for pcie and agp , that's all I am thinking of. I woulf say yes to it if the benchmarks prove good enough. Even though 3.3v cards a old , i would laugh at the person tryying to use one in this board

It's just when you look into a mainboard , you want more then just one thing , and i think if he waits for the better version it would be worth it more if he can afford it

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
I am aware of that myself... But some mainboards take some revision , especialy considering the technology in bus wise for pcie and agp , that's all I am thinking of. I woulf say yes to it if the benchmarks prove good enough. Even though 3.3v cards a old , i would laugh at the person tryying to use one in this board

It's just when you look into a mainboard , you want more then just one thing , and i think if he waits for the better version it would be worth it more if he can afford it
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/uli/m1695/g1.htm o_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok I've been looking around at the motherboards but I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Processor I understand though.

So if anyone has an idea for an exact motherboard rather than a general idea of one, it would help me out...because I'm an idiot with motherboards.

If you could find one on www.newegg.com and tell me, it would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, I know exactly what to do about a processor and getting some RAM. Was also gonna get a new case too.

Again, thanks for all your help in everypeoples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom