Living fossil

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's just old. The call it a 'living fossil' because it's species hasn't evolved much. It's like the Vogon of the sea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We think a lot of things are extinct fossils until some guy catches one in a net off the coast.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
We think a lot of things are extinct fossils until some guy catches one in a net off the coast.
so we know there are still some of them out there waiting for us to kill them

Best answers
It isn't a living fossil at all.. It's a shark-species that lives at least 1km below sealevel, aka the dark regions of the ocean.. That's why there are so few photos or videos of that shark.. It's just rare that a shark like that comes so close to the coast. Scientists believe that it was cought in some heavy stream that drove it to the Japanese coast.

People never thought it was extinct, it was just rare to find one.. Same thing as the giant-octopus, we know that the 12+ meter ones exist, we just can't get them on film because they're so damn unreachable.

PS: every shark is a living fossil, because about every shark alive these days, looks 95% the same as they did millions of years ago.. Same goes for turtles and crocodiles.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's just old. The call it a 'living fossil' because it's species hasn't evolved much. It's like the Vogon of the sea.
@ Bolteh: ^ is the reason why it's called a living fossil, much like in the case of the coelacanth. Other sharks can't be called living fossils because they've obviously evolved and look the way they do now because of it. That, and I'm pretty sure their progenitors were actually friggin huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom