List of console RPG cliches

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, very true (thogh I aim not planning on going all the way down to 177...)

"The Higher The Hair, The Closer To God "

Completely true

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Law of NPC Relativity said:
Characters can accomplish superhuman physical feats, defeat enemies with one hand tied behind their back and use incredible abilities -- until they join your party and you can control them. Then these wonderful powers all vanish, along with most of their hit points.
Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely said:
If a good guy is manipulated to the side of evil, they will suddenly find a new inner strength that will enable them to wipe out your whole party with a wave of their hand.
ROFL

Those are simply too accurate! I don't believe I've read that before. Thanks for the link, Deman!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember seeing this before, but I lost the URL before I could read the whole thing. Nice example of "here's what not to do when you want to make a game."

Zelda's Axiom
Whenever somebody tells you about "the five ancient talismans" or "the nine legendary crystals" or whatever, you can be quite confident that Saving the World will require you to go out and find every last one of them.
Heh.

Dungeon Design 201 (or, The Interior Decorators Anticipated Your Out-Of-Body Experience)
Most dungeons will include "hidden" passages which are nearly impossible to see from a bird's-eye view, yet would be blaringly obvious from the party's perspective.
FF2/4 anyone? XD

Best answers
Saw this a while back, good stuff, makes me want to go replay every FF, Chrono Trigger and all those good ol SNES RPGs

Best answers
There are some fantastic ones in there :D
Thanks for the link!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL!

So much is true....very true.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The tough-as-nails female warrior who is not in love with the hero (note that this is the only female character in the game who is not in love with the hero and will therefore be indicated as such by having a spectacular scar, a missing eye, cyborg limbs or some other physical deformity -- see The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Rule.)

Movies apply to that too, most action films are stuck with this casting direction.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahaha, very funny stuff, i've just hit the hundred mark so far. My favorite is:

76. Magical Inequality Theorem
In the course of your travels you may find useful-sounding spells such as Petrify, Silence, and Instant Death. However, you will end up never using these spells in combat because a) all ordinary enemies can be killed with a few normal attacks, making fancy attacks unneccessary, b) all bosses and other stronger-than-average monsters are immune to those effects so there's no point in using them for long fights where they'd actually come in handy, and c) the spells usually don't work anyway.

77. Magical Inequality Corollary
When the enemy uses Petrify, Silence, Instant Death, et cetera spells on you, they will be effective 100% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom