Linux

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok. I decided I want to try out Linux. I have never even used it let alone know where to get it.

I am currently using Vista Ultimate and I wanna try and Dual run Linux and Vista.

Any got a chance to help me?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not a Linux expert, but as a beginner, I suggest trying out Ubuntu (FYI, Ubuntu is a modified version of Debian.). I used it when I was using Linux and I loved it. The installation is super easy, and I highly recommend it. There are plenty of helpful stickies and members on the forums, so you should have no problems.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a small tip, try it out on a computer that's not your everyday one just to make sure you like it. I'm under the impression a lot of things will require a lot of tinkering to work / some things will downright be incompatible.

I've never used linux, though, so I can't offer much help other than that. Best of luck.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks Man.

Been wanting to try Linux and Ubuntu.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, do what Sub said. If you have more than one computer, do it on an alternate one, not on your main one. Unless you're a super expert at Linux, keep using it on your alternate PC.

G
Thanks Man.

Been wanting to try Linux and Ubuntu.
Just want to clear this up, you realise Ubuntu *is* Linux, right?

I want to fuxx around with Linux but I don't have any spare computers to do so with. When I get the chance though, I'm trying out Paranoid Linux.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Just want to clear this up, you realise Ubuntu *is* Linux, right?

I want to fuxx around with Linux but I don't have any spare computers to do so with. When I get the chance though, I'm trying out Paranoid Linux.
why dont you just use vmware, or virtualbox, ...?

G
I have, for experimenting, testing. But I want to try it on a real rig, for obvious reasons.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll be honest, be careful when you install Ubuntu. I've done it twice so hear me out, make sure it's on another partition. You could probably figure out why I'm telling you this so anyways...

:(

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
a bit of a warning, when using linux as dual boot.

when you'll become sick of it, which will be in the first few hours for 90% of all the windows users out there. (no offense intended)
Your booting will be handles by a linux installed boot manager (usually grub) which occasionally can be a ***** after linux is uninstalled.

What can you do against this?
Nothing, just make sure you have a windows repair cd and know how to delete/remake and fix the MBR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom