Linux Recommendations?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like someone to recommend which type of Linux I should use because there's like 1209381209380912 of them out there.

Hopefully, I can meet its requirements with my scrap computer parts.

I know we have linux users here. =/

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most Linux users around here would agree on Ubuntu, and I can't say I disagree. I'm posting this message in it right now, using IceWM as the window manager for my slower computer. =)

BeatrIX is also a good distro, I used that one for awhile.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A freind of mine uses Debian, it keeps updating it's own installation images, so you just burn off a couple of CDs and you can update the OS from scratch and have the latest fixes installed on launch. Neat piece of tech.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
A freind of mine uses Debian, it keeps updating it's own installation images, so you just burn off a couple of CDs and you can update the OS from scratch and have the latest fixes installed on launch. Neat piece of tech.
I know a guy worknig at the net cafe I go to who uses Debian. Even though I haven't looked into Debian much it's good according to him. Might find a spare pc, install Debian & take a look at it.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Ubuntu is based on debian

Want to update the whole system?

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Done

first line retrieves new package info from the repositories you have selected

second goes through and updates any packages that have updates waiting

although updating is really optional on linux, except for security issues naturally (which are thankfully very few and far between)

It's designed for people who either a) don't know linux at all, or b) want a system up and running with the least ****ing around, with stable programs available and installable with 2 mouse clicks

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
*shrugs*, last time i couldn't even choose which Linux i should use. Besides, honestly. I'd rather not use Linux at all due the fact that most software / games are created for Windows. What about that "3D" desktop linux? That kurt uses.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've only used SuSe once, which was my first Linux, and while I was impressed with it, I had grown too accustomed to Windows, and I didn't want to lose out on all those programs who were Windows-only compatible, so I eventually went back to w2k, which was what I used at the time. But, XGL looks so damn sexy, I might just give it a try sometime if I ever have a spare laptop.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there any way to run 2 different OSs at the same time ? I mean where you can choose when the comp boots ?Cause it was possible with Win98 and XP.
So is it possible with WinXP and Linux Ubuntu ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, it is possible. I used to have a win2k and SuSe Linux dual-boot system. :3

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok thats good,cause im getting ubuntu atm.
How would it beeing installed that i can have both ?
been a while since i had 2 OSs on comp ^^

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
Ok thats good,cause im getting ubuntu atm.
How would it beeing installed that i can have both ?
been a while since i had 2 OSs on comp ^^
You can have a dual boot system if you like, I did that too, grub (on ubuntu) makes sure you have a dual boot system, just as long if you have one partition big enough for linux left.

First windows then Linux, it should work.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok i got Linux dled now.
But i cant seem to find an Image to burn for the boot cd oO ?

I got the Upuntu from the First posted download link.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ubuntu it is. I'll be installing this on my very old dads laptop that he never uses which should run perfectly.

Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
Ok i got Linux dled now.
But i cant seem to find an Image to burn for the boot cd oO ?

I got the Upuntu from the First posted download link.
What you downloaded is the image to burn.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a word of warning: if you're not comfortable doing something like partitioning a hard drive or installing a new operating system, especially if you're using something like a shared family computer, don't mess around. I'm not targeting this at anyone, I just don't want to see someone lose all of their important files. =o

If you want to get some Linux running on your personal computer with few strings attached (installs in under 100MB on a DOS/Windows partition), try Zipslack. You could also get a free shell account (Arbornet is good, they run FreeBSD) to experiment around. Sure, it's a text-only terminal, but you'll probably want a computer running Windows just to use those spiffy games and Windows-only programs anyway. That, or VMware.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Ubuntu's installer will automatically detect other operating systems and make entries into the "bootloader" for them. When you start your comp, you will have options to boot into Ubuntu or Windows <whatever>

Partitioning is the most difficult part of installing an operating system though, once you're past that, you're golden

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok i installed Linux.
I created an Partiation, then the comp had to restart and booted into Windows without an OS choice question.
Is there something else i have to do ?
cause atm im saving now all my Files on my Backup HDD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom