Linux Recommendations?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Forgot to mention... when you install grub (the bootloader that lets you choose what OS to boot), make sure you install it to the MBR (master boot record). The option to install it onto a partition is there in case you have a custom bootloader already, such as Acronis Disk Director.

It will overwrite your MBR from Windows, but if you decide to stop using Linux, you can simply run "fdisk /mbr" in Windows and that will put the default one back. Then you can use a program like Partition Magic to reclaim the space Linux was using.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there anyway to do this after installation of Ubuntu ?

I installed Linux and i had 90 GB left then i had to create an Partition and choosed 50 GB but now i only have 3.5 GB left Y_Y and i dont see an 2nd Partition anaywehere with Linux files or so.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
I'd like someone to recommend which type of Linux I should use because there's like 1209381209380912 of them out there.

Hopefully, I can meet its requirements with my scrap computer parts.

I know we have linux users here. =/
LOL
RIFL
RIFK
RIFKLE HOLY **** I R DYING LOLOLOLOLOLL DJ SWIFT WITH LINUX LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL HOLY **** RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIFFFFFFLLLLLLLLL

ubuntulinux.org

don't ask how to use it, you have to be uber pawn like i am to figure out scary hax in teh terminal like rm -rf /~~~

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I cant install it >_< I just aint smart enough.

Ok
My HDD has 180 GB
then i used 60 GB in one partition (before installing Linux)

//HDD Stuff in the partition menu
//1)Partition INFO...60 GB...nfts.../media/sda1
//2)Free space 97 GB
//3HDD INFO...1.5 GB...Swap stuff

I went on 2 (97GB) and had to use the max space (97GB)
then i went on Partition 1(60GB) and changed its path or what that is to
/ (media/sda1 --> / )
and then i went on Partition2 and changed the path ( "/boot")
Partition3 remain "Swap"

so the Partition screen was now
/
/boot
swap

so it was no like this
//HDD Stuff in the partition menu
//1)Partition INFO...60 GB...nfts.../
//2)Partition INFO...97 GB...ext3.../boot
//3HDD INFO...1.5 GB...Swap stuff...swap

Then it showed an red screen with "Master Boot Error" or something like this.
So i went back and tried to put that "lighningbolt ^^" on each 1 Partition till it shows No red screen.
It worked but then i wanted to continue installation and the menu sended me to the Partition Info screen again.

So i just changed everything back so i can go back to Windows.

But now i only have 3.5 GB left.

Y_Y
What should i do ? How do i make my HDD SPace go up again ?
or atleast make it so i can have 50 GB for Win Partition and the rest free space for Linux ?

Im such an n00b >_>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sean said:
LOL
RIFL
RIFK
RIFKLE HOLY **** I R DYING LOLOLOLOLOLL DJ SWIFT WITH LINUX LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL HOLY **** RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIFFFFFFLLLLLLLLL

ubuntulinux.org

don't ask how to use it, you have to be uber pawn like i am to figure out scary hax in teh terminal like rm -rf /~~~
Uh, I know how to use it.

PS.

ROFL

Anyways, Is there a program that reads PDF's for Linux?s

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm.

Im formating my comp so its brand new again, caus eit was lately anyway fileld up.
Okay.
Im installing WindowsXP again the standart way.
Then i do all the stuff on XP where i did before with installing my apps and games etc.

After that how exactly do i install ubuntu then ?

Cause im having 1 Huge Partition then again before ubuntu.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
Anyways, Is there a program that reads PDF's for Linux?s
Yes there are lots, at least 1 comes with Ubuntu by default (I forget the name, just download a PDF file and double click it).

After that how exactly do i install ubuntu then ?

Cause im having 1 Huge Partition then again before ubuntu.
I did the same thing. I used a program called Partition Magic to resize my Windows (NTFS) partition. This left 30 gigs of unallocated or "free space" at the end of the drive.

Then, in the Ubuntu installer, I chose the option to have it install into the existing free space automatically. That created the root partition for Ubuntu (where / is mounted), and the swap partition. You can resize the root and swap partitions if you don't like the sizes it selected.

(For your information, Linux dedicates an entire partition to act as swap, since swap has its own filesystem.)

If you are asked WHERE to install grub, make sure you choose the MBR (master boot record). After that, you should reboot and have a menu come up, asking you which OS to load into.

Installing a new OS is the hardest thing most people will do, since most people have no experience doing it. :)

Edit:

I forgot to mention, in Windows, it will appear as though your drive size got smaller... this is because Windows cannot read Linux filesystems (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc.)

Linux, on the other hand, can read Windows filesystems fine (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, etc.). So you will be able to access your Windows files from inside Ubuntu.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah ok.
Im downloading the Free Trial of Partition Magic so i can use it after installing Windows later.

So i relooked and i have 160 GB HDD.

Im planning on using 140 GB for Windows and the rest for Linux ^^.
And 2 GB for that SWAP thinggy where appears in the Partition Setup menu of Linux.

So the Linux Partition is mounted with "/" while Windows remains "/media/sda1"
or should that be changed into "windows" ?
___
I have an Clean Windows now.

This is what i did now using the Partition Magic Tool.
I havent done anything else now.Cause i would like to know first if this was the right thing what i did now.
I didnt save anything now.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say make 3 partitions, 1 for windows (let's say 20gb), 1 for linux (let's say about 12gb) & the rest for all your apps, games, files etc. Make your windows partition NTFS & make the partition for your apps, games & files fat32.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just seen that i made the Partitionon te small HDD >_>.

Anyway ^^
On the 160 GB HDD
I want to make it like this.
20 GB for Linux
The rest for Windows.

So i make an new partition (Primary/or Logical ?)
Then i set the Type to "Linux Ext 3"
And then im donw and ready to install Linux ?
I just want to make sure cause i dont wanna install everything wrong again !
=O

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Click on your main Windows partition (I'm guessing on Disk 2, the 160gb one), and then click Resize/Move partition, and resize it to 140,000mb (140.000 european style :p)

You will have to "Apply changes" and reboot. After that, Partition Magic should show 20 gigs of unallocated/free space on the end of Disk 2. That is the area you would install Ubuntu into.

So the Linux Partition is mounted with "/" while Windows remains "/media/sda1"
or should that be changed into "windows" ?
Once you have Ubuntu installed, your NTFS partition (Windows) will be mounted into /media/sda1 (if you use a SCSI drive) or /media/hda1 (if you use a IDE drive), don't worry about changing the "mountpoint" or anything on the Windows partition.

You need to have a / before you can have a /media ^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm I quess the Free Trial Version of Partition Magic isnt working =O
Atleast it doesnt work for me.
When i try to aplly changes it changes it back like nothing happend. Y_Y
Ah i just read the Free Trial Verison isnt applying changes >_> Its only for demonstrations.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
Hmm I quess the Free Trial Version of Partition Magic isnt working =O
Atleast it doesnt work for me.
When i try to aplly changes it changes it back like nothing happend. Y_Y
Ah i just read the Free Trial Verison isnt applying changes >_> Its only for demonstrations.
That is because everyone could just keep dling a free trial version of there program each time they wanted to repartition or reformat tehre hdd and they'd lose money for their product.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm, I having a problem installing Ubuntu. Everytime it's installing, it gets a error of Process Killeed and showing this like 1209320138 times.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
Hm, I having a problem installing Ubuntu. Everytime it's installing, it gets a error of Process Killeed and showing this like 1209320138 times.
At which part of the installation exactly? For better technical help, it may be worthwhile to post on the Ubuntu Support Forums in the Beginner Talk section.

The Ubuntu forums are a flame-free place to ask basic questions about Ubuntu or Linux in general. :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, I know why. I only have a 32MB RAM instead of a 64MB. Thats the requirement. No wonder why I couldn't install Ubuntu nor Mandriva.

Any other distributions? :X

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Slackware or Gentoo, but neither's installer is particularly friendly

A low spec machine like that would be better off without a graphical interface, but that can be unfriendly for a newbie to linux

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh well, I'll just try the live CD then. Thanks alot Kurt. You deserve a O/ from me. D:

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Actually, you can also try ubuntu-server, I believe at the initial "boot:" prompt you simply type in "server" and it installs just the base system (i.e. no X11 or GNOME or other graphical stuff).

That computer could act as a web server, database server, etc., but running a full-featured GUI on it is probably not going to work well. It also installs and adds "sshd" to startup, so you can use a Windows-based SSH client (http://putty.nl) to connect to that computer remotely and control it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom