Linking to "my computer"

Best answers
As the title says.. How do I make a shortcut to "My Computer" without adding the icon for it to the desktop (just a shortcut that I can place on a dock or quick launcher..)

The only way I've found so far is to show the "My Computer" icon on the desktop, and making a shortcut that links to that.. But I don't want that, I just need to find the file that performs the command to open "My Computer" and link to that file..

The reason I'm asking this is because I want to have a clean desktop without any icons.. I was able to get rid of the recycle bin and "my documents" (<3 google) and place those 2 on my dock, now I need to find how to get rid of "my computer" and make a shortcut to it in my dock..

It's kinda hard to explain so I hope everyone gets what I mean..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To get a clean desktop, use 'TweakUI', a Microsoft Powertoy tool that allows you to tweak many hidden settings in Windows XP, including the desktop icons. I use it myself.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I've created a shortcut to my Desktop folder, and if you open it, it'll show My Computer and all the other icons just fine. That is what I use when I need to access the Recycle Bin or whatever.

Clean desktop = <3

Best answers
Is it a program that needs to be running to have effect? Or just set once, uninstall and still work?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a button on my keyboard that opens My Computer for me.

Also, I had no trouble just now creating a quick launch shortcut, and My Computer isnt on the desktop.

Open My Computer, click the Up button. This brings you to a windowed view of the desktop with My Computer, My Network Places, etc. visible on it. Right click on My Computer and make a shortcut. This places a shortcup on your desktop which you can use to make a quicklaunch icon with. Just delete the shortcut from the desktop when youre done with it. No icon, no mess.

Or is your computer not as smart as mine and wont let you do that?

Best answers
When I did it your way, and deleted the original My Computer on my dekstop, the shortcut stopped working because it kept linking to the icon on my desktop.. But the TweakUI thing worked =)

Thanks for the help

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So then yes, your computer is stupid. Good to hear the UI thing worked though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom