Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You know that light error I had while making my esf_moon map?
(It still isn't released cuz DJ-Ready is trying to fix it :fight: )
The one where there's light everywhere as if there is a leak but there isn't? And I have light entities. Well I was starting another map and I had this same problem again after working on the map for no more than 5 minutes...
I must be doing something seriously wrong but I have no idea what.
Has anyone else EVER had this problem before? :confused:

P.S. - Don't say "check for leaks." I already have...many, many times.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
How do you do that through Expert Mode? :scared:

P.S. - A fellow Wisconsinite! Where do you live?

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
must be your compile settings .. i fixed some errors in the map and sended it back to you with a working bsp

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I copied and pasted the parameters exactly as they were on the tut u made DJ...
How do you run a full vis in expert compile?
And did the lighting problem happen when you ran it on your comp?
Thx for fixing it, I'll get it once I get home. :p

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
no, everything worked fine when i compiled it. and make sure that you compile in expert mode and activate the checkboxes "use long filenames"

Best answers
For a full vis, look at the parameters for the vis program. You should see -fast. Change that to -full.

If you are still making your map, you should probably use -fast for faster compile times, but for your final release of the map, use -full.

I'm in Green Bay.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I compiled it in expert mode with all of the Use Long Filenames checkboxes checked, and the same problem happened again.
How did it work on your computer? Was there light and shadows? Or light everywhere? Or no light at all?
I didn't get the bsp file you sent, are you sure you sent it to the right address?
Every map I make for ESF has this problem! I can't make maps if the lighting doesn't work correctly... :(
I am eagerly waiting to fix this incredibly annoying problem so I can release this map and get started on another... ;)

*EDIT* - K, I'm gonna use a full vis now, I was typing this while you posted, thx Sandrock.

P.S. - I'm in Stevens Point, not as big as Green Bay, but moderately sized, about 30 miles north of you. :D

*EDIT # 2 :p * - I got it set up to run a full vis, and started compiling it. I figured it would take awhile so I left and came back 10 minutes later and it was running vis stuck on Leaf Portals: or something like that. How long should compiling with a full vis take? I have a slow computer, but you can't really tell if it's compiling or frozen...and by that time basically all of my memory is being used so the only way I can stop the comp is to turn it off... ;D

Best answers
full vis is gonna take a while. just let it run. it may take a few hours depending on the size of the map. while its doing its thing, it might seem frozen, but just let it be. if in doubt, just let it run overnight or while your at school or work or something. if its still going when you get back (several hours later) then it might be freezing, but otherwise it should be fine.

Best answers
have you got any complicated struktures in the map?
are there any problems, when you click "check for problems"?

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I let it run, it took like 20 minutes, and there still was the lighting problem.
There are no problems when I click "Check for problems"...

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Originally posted by DragonDude
I didn't get the bsp file you sent, are you sure you sent it to the right address?
then ... gimme your adress again so i can send it to you .. again ^^

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It's [email protected].
How was the lighting when you ran the map on your comp DJ?
I'm completely out of ideas now... :(

*EDIT* - I can't stand this problem anymore! This is hopeless! Agh! Ok just had to let that outburst escape. :devsmile:

I have one last idea...you guys who compile maps and the light works...could you post your compile settings? The problem has got to be with my compile settings, because I just made a map which consisted of a hollowed box, and info_player_start, and a light.
Guess which problem poked it's ugly little head through...yup there was light everywhere!
So it isn't the map, the problem has to be my compile settings...

And DJ...I still haven't gotten an email with the .bsp file yet.. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom