LEGO Formula 1 Car WIP

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've undertaken a new project in Rhino. As the title may suggest, I'm building a LEGO car on my computer. Remember the days when a LEGO model was made up of the standard pieces, and not just a bunch of unique parts that take all the fun out of creating something from a bunch of square boxes? Well, I'm reliving those days, but on my computer because I can't afford real LEGO.

The chassis is starting to take shape. This is quite the time consuming ordeal as I have to model each of the 88 different blocks individually (coying bits where I can) before assembling the entire 413 pieces into some high speed plastic.

Knowing that many of the people here have a fixation with low-poly DBZ characters, I somehow see myself double posting as the model slowly takes shape. It'll keep the thread somewhere where I can find it.

Edit: I use a large grid snap for assembly and a much smaller one for modelling. And it actually wasn'y my idea, I just thought it would be fun to try.

...stupid 120 seconds.

Best answers
I have to say that's quite some unique project :p. But in these cases I would really suggest you to you use grid snapping(if you aren't) that your application should offer ,instead of eye accuracy, since...it's lego XD.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Dead on, dead on.....

Man now you made me wanna play with lego again :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jup lol im getting the urge to devion i might crack tho ol lego crate open tonight:D:D:D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That looks incredibly spot-on, awesome job.

But, if you don't want to model every piece yourself, you should try looking up MLCAD. It's a free 3D modeling tool with thousands of LEGO parts built into it, as it was designed to allow LEGO building on the PC. I've used it for a while, it's pretty good. :yes: It might save you a lot of trouble, but it can't produce pretty renders like these, I think.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm using 3DWin5 to get the .dat files to .obj files that can be imported into Rhino. Once that's done, I use them as a template to make my polysurfaces from. I got the LEGO software from LDraw.org and the instructions from peeron.com.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow does that ever look meticulous *shivers*
Nice job :D

Best answers
haha incredible, i was playing with LEGO all the time when i was a kid, awsome work.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow what a creative project to take on, im starting to remember building ships out of lego o/

Best answers
At first i thought it was a picture from LEGO digital designer (free lego building software from lego). But it looks a hell lot better. Awesome model, oh i mean MODELS!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've begun work on the engine. I just finished the crankshaft assembly.

Next up, the engine block.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now, just for temporary reasons, I a mod should seriously stickify this. Only because 1. This is an ownage project. 2. It rocks. and 3. I really would like to see this get finished, and not have to scroll down to find it :x

Best answers
havin a project stickified is as good as gettin in the hall of fame =), good job frsrblch

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright... I went back through all the pieces I had made and filletted (rounded) all the edges that can come in contact with other bricks. Now you can actually tell two bricks that are next to each other apart by the crack between them. I also, after reassembling the whole thing, finished the engine. Next up are the sides of the body.

I did a quick render to show what I've got done now. By quick, I mean only 15 minutes. The final one should take a couple hours... unless any of you happen to own a render farm?

This is step 11 of 22.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From making cars from lego to making lego in 3D.
Awsome job frsrblch.
Cant really see anything wrong with it at all..

Best answers
thsi is one damn awesome project here!
this should defenitly be stickied^^

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh jeez. I'm 22 years old, yet that picture makes me wanna play with my lego again. Keep it up, I love it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why not make the next modeling contest, a Lego contest? Would finaly be something original and interesting to see what people come up with.

Anyway, nice project, would love to see it getting finished, you make me want to play with lego again....

Best answers
Dude thats pretty awersome!!!! Mabey I'll try one too :D But I've got a qestion... How did you do these holes in this parts ? I'm curious.. I've got an idea how to do it... but it would take to many polies, so your's could be better :]

And in this

Mabey you cauld also show wires of these parts..

Of course if you don't want to show it I'll understand :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom