Legality Issues

Best answers
Would someone explain me about some titles legality issues in concernment with game development?

Is it allowed to make games with a trademarked titles like animes, movies, books and even other games? What situation is it allowed and what is not?

Please comment anything important about this subject beyond what I posted.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is allowed but it has to be free of charge. And even then you can be shut down for no reason.
I don't know anything other than that. Maybe someone from the Dev team will give you more info.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nah, thats basically it.
We cant make any profit off of something that we're copying and not licensing. If we purchase a license then yes, we can sell it. But none of us have a large sum of money to purchase the license to begin with.. so.. you got a few hundred thousand lying around? :)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically as long as you dont sell it you are allowed to make it freely.

But if the company that holds the licence for the thing you are copying for the game decides that you have to stop, then you have to stop.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically as long as you dont sell it you are allowed to make it freely.

But if the company that holds the licence for the thing you are copying for the game decides that you have to stop, then you have to stop.

Making your first argument not entirely true. From what I understand, making a game based on a movie/game/book/what-have-you is in essence illegal. Even though you might not make a profit on it, you are using copyrighted material and concepts without any consent or license. Thus you are effectively stealing someone's work. Often though, companies turn a blind eye to modding communities though. One could say that this is basically free advertising for them.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nah, thats basically it.
We cant make any profit off of something that we're copying and not licensing. If we purchase a license then yes, we can sell it. But none of us have a large sum of money to purchase the license to begin with.. so.. you got a few hundred thousand lying around? :)
Pretty sure DBZ is worth a lot more than a few hundred thousand dollars at this point.

Best answers
So, let me say, if I develop a game, with some professional character, based on copyrighted materials and concept using my own engine will not be tolerated? :<
I just don't want to be sued. :~

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, let me say, if I develop a game, with some professional character, based on copyrighted materials and concept using my own engine will not be tolerated? :<
I just don't want to be sued. :~
In most cases, you will be sent a cease and desist request by the copyright holder. However, if you ignore the request, then you will most likely be sued.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
well it should be fine as its a mod also imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom