Legal Rights

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
Guy's just stop.
If their team is so willing to stop their project so easily, their not going to bother with it again.
Yeah, you're right, cuz if you were making a mod which had a company threaten legal action, you'd have the balls to go to court and hand over a few hundred thousand k for something that you do in your spare time, because, its just sad to let down a bunch of 14-20 year olds. I mean, really, they owe it to us dont they -_-

ZEQII arent amatures like MeSuVegetto said, I'd expect they're thinking ways round this, and they'll adapt the mod if they can. Simply saying "you should put your ass on the line for us" is incredibly childish and selfish.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anythings better then a simple email requesting to take down the site.

Best answers
and 1 more thing, how about moving to Hl2? and then kinda try to be protected by Valve...im not sure, but this wasent anwsered i guess

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-Nataku- said:
and 1 more thing, how about moving to Hl2? and then kinda try to be protected by Valve...im not sure, but this wasent anwsered i guess
It was.
Theres no protection either way.
Plus they would have to rework the entire coding for the game.
Redo the maps, even re-rig the models.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://valvesoftware.com/legal.html said:
Claims of Copyright Infringement

Valve respects the intellectual property rights of others, and we ask that everyone using our internet sites and services do the same. Anyone who believes that their work has been reproduced in one of our internet sites or services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement may notify Valve's copyright agent by providing the following information:

-Identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;

-Identification of the material that you claim is infringing and needs to be removed, including a description of where it is located on the Valve internet site or service so that we can locate it;

-Your address, telephone number, and, if available, e-mail address, so that we can contact you about your complaint; and

-A signed statement that the above information is accurate; that you have a good faith belief that the identified use of the material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf in this situation.
I'm sure a company can use this as much as a small group of people can.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Maybe this is a complete shot in the dark, but how about having some kinda advertisement agreement with funi animation? i mean, if you littered your site with funimation products/adverts, and shove their name in every nook and cranny in the game, maybe they'd agree to letting you continue the project? I dunno :x
Here is an idea worth a shot. Maby they will let you do it if you advertise them.

I mean free advertisement is allways a good thing right :p

And asking them isnt gona bring any big problems ^^

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That wouldn't work, besides, what would ZEQII advertise? Dragon Ball Z? The Budokai series? It just will not work like that.

I'm sure there's a way to get it to work, just that right now it seems unlikely.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MeSuVegetto said:
Offcourse you can say that.
It's not your ass on the line.
It's not you they are going to issue a C and D to.
It's not you their powerful lawyers are going to go after.
I wouldnt care if 'my ass was on the line.'
A C&D would be the point where I would stop.
Lawyers would never go after you.
Unless you do anything more after a C&D.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you read what Zeth or Mdave said? They've already exchanged a number of emails, which means its not just a case of the images on the site. What more do you want from them?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing.
I'm just bored.
This is getting oftopic...

Veghetto said:
How many people here believe that it is legal for Funimation to stop a small group of people from making pc game modification of DBZ.

And if you do believe it's legal, then how come they haven't stop ESF?
Hm, it is legal...
They have not stopped ESF imo becuase ESF since it's been released for so many years, will make no real difference in sales if they demand to have the team shut down the mod.

Best answers
u guyz advertised it too much like a dragonballz game i bet showing it off too much

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What else would they advertise it as?

And sif showing off.

/part

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
THA TYRANT said:
u guyz advertised it too much like a dragonballz game i bet showing it off too much
Well it's based on DBZ....duh.......ESF does the same thing.

And they weren showing off, they were merely showing their ideas and for that Funi got scared.

Kidd0r

K
Hey guys :laff:

Firstly i'm new on this forum and english is not my native language, so don't criticize my englisch skills. ^^

Now to my question:
can't you (the ZEQ2-Team) do anything? I mean like get in touch with FUNi or something like that?
k, I know that this question is stupid and naive ^^.

Best answers
I dunno, they could try it and see if they will give permission to use their characters and other copyrighted material, but seeing that Funimation shut them down for that reason, they probably wont let them now.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I dunno, they could try it and see if they will give permission to use their characters and other copyrighted material, but seeing that Funimation shut them down for that reason, they probably wont let them now.
Funi would probably tell them to buy licensing rights.

Nothing is free.

Best answers
basicly if ur going to make a modification, make sure it sucks.. like esf!!!! naw but i mean i heard zeq2 wasnt even a modiciation but a "stand alone" so thats probably the main reason, these guys went off making a game for dbz without letting the owners know... so u get trashed cuz u cant be doing that duhhh

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
basicly if ur going to make a modification, make sure it sucks.. like esf!!!! naw but i mean i heard zeq2 wasnt even a modiciation but a "stand alone" so thats probably the main reason, these guys went off making a game for dbz without letting the owners know... so u get trashed cuz u cant be doing that duhhh
Basicly, FUNimation never gave a reason why they shut down ZEQ2. Sure, they were using DBZ Characters, but is that even a good reason? No. I've heard because of ZEQ2's video quality was the reason for them to take action.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
Basicly, FUNimation never gave a reason why they shut down ZEQ2. Sure, they were using DBZ Characters, but is that even a good reason? No. I've heard because of ZEQ2's video quality was the reason for them to take action.
Using Dragon Ball Z characters would be a good reason, since it's still copyright infringement. If you heard that it had to due with the graphic quality of the mod (which most likely was shown in the video's that were released) then that just shows that ZEQII was a potential threat to FUNimations profits. The last thing FUNimation would want is a mod that has the graphic quality of a Budokai game without their logo on it (to be blunt). Since the only way you can get their logo on a product (legally) is if you have the rights to produce a game based on Dragon Ball Z.

Makes you think though.... after all this time, people constantly ask or request ESF to move to the Source engine. People think it's a dumb idea not to not make the switch but considering that the possibilty that ZEQII was shut down due to its graphical quality (due to the powerful Unreal engine) which can be compared to a Budokai game, makes the whole "never moving to Source" make more sense (whether the team thought about it that way or not).

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
then that just shows that ZEQII was a potential threat to FUNimations profits
Which I've also heard in their IRC channel. And no, using Dragonballz Characters is not a good reason, if it was. Then this mod should of been shutted down as well. FUNimation is simlpe afraid as you already have mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom