Legal Rights

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then what's the problem? If the problem is the pictures stated in that letter, than why don't you just remove them? If their not after you for violating their copyrights, then what's this whole argument about with ZEQII?

Veghetto said:
How many people here believe that it is legal for Funimation to stop a small group of people from making pc game modification of DBZ.

And if you do believe it's legal, then how come they haven't stop ESF?
The thread creator said nothing about ZEQII, regardless of their legal problems if you could call it that, it was a general question not aimed at any specific mod. I apologize if I am trying to act like a mod, I'm just becoming irritated that the main topic is not being followed. Not to mention that it is a very good topic for discussion if you ask me, so why waste it?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
They complained about pictures... on a website.
Not the project itself.
Did you even read the e-mail?

"We also ask that you delete any other infringing works not listed in this takedown notification, if they exist."

Last I checked... THE WHOLE DAMN MOD IS AN INFRINGING WORK.

Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
Again, someone who doesnt know what he's talking about...

This isnt a C&D.
Lol my ideas still wernet coment by the zeq2 team... why your ignoring it and replying only to posts that dont have such intense meaning. If you didint recived and C&D, and they ony wanted you to remove the pics, remove the pics then. DOnt ceese the mod as it was said... ANd as some one said, GIR recived an C&D and what they did to him after that? nothing... and opti said that there is a terrible risk continuing with the mod, 1 more thing its not meant to go on as zeq2 anymore, change the content , blablabla i said it milion times already >_O.
ANd i know a perfect example, In Poland there is a site with NAZI content, and its relating to pepoples living in Warsaw( our Capitol ) but its hosted on a American server. ANd our GOVERMENT itself ( i think that Goverment has a little more power then some FUNI..!?!) wanted to take off that site,, but they couldent couse it was based on the american law.. Soo if you would acctualy host the mod on lets say Nigerian server funi cant tocuh you no more... I think. im not sure, to that what do you guys think

Best answers
Veghetto said:
How many people here believe that it is legal for Funimation to stop a small group of people from making pc game modification of DBZ.

And if you do believe it's legal, then how come they haven't stop ESF?
exactly... maybe its cuz esf is the only legit mod out there, the rest r fake or stolen ideas/models/code/etc

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, so basically you're saying that ZEQ2 is either, fake or stolen. Which is both untrue, unless you consider stolen as "using characters from a copyrighted franchise". Which ESF does too.

🎈 Advanced
Best answers
The thread creator said nothing about ZEQII, regardless of their legal problems if you could call it that, it was a general question not aimed at any specific mod. I apologize if I am trying to act like a mod, I'm just becoming irritated that the main topic is not being followed. Not to mention that it is a very good topic for discussion if you ask me, so why waste it?
Although I cannot be fully certain, I'm pretty sure the thread topic was on a coinciding note with ZEQ2.

Veghetto is a semi-veteran to the project and came into IRC to discuss the issue when he discovered it (as far as I recall). Given the nature and regulations of these boards, the vagueness of the topic, and that the timing was only several days after the actual event, I'd probably guess it had at least had SOME relation to ZEQ2. Even if not directly related, the project does fall under the general consensus of subject.

Forgive me if I am mistaken or overstepping my assumptions in some way.

Indeed. Optimus Prime, thanks again for pointing out keynotes that others may have missed in my verbose posts.

Lol my ideas still wernet coment by the zeq2 team.
For what my posts and the email haven't covered, Optimus and others seem to be answering pretty accurately.

why your ignoring it and replying only to posts that dont have such intense meaning.
I'm sorry. I must have missed it somehow. Although looking back your posts do seem a bit difficult to read. I'll do my best to segment out and answer what portions haven't been taken care of yet.

If you didint recived and C&D, and they ony wanted you to remove the pics, remove the pics then. DOnt ceese the mod as it was said...
This has been answered already.

Zeth said:
Aside from the one shown email, there were several followup and response emails as I mentioned between myself and dreamhost. Dreamhost furthermore acted as an intermediary between Funimation's legal department and our project in communicating the issue.
which was derived from the earlier posting of :

Zeth said:
There were several followup emails between our host's legal members and Funimation with dreamhost serving as intermediary for communication. It all boiled down to us either striking up a legal case in defense or being in complicance to remove all infringing content currently and potentially on the project. From later responses it became clear that that Funimation's legal department had been and would continue to monitor the project to assure compliance to copyright laws.

While we actually had no Cease & Desist in a raw form, we were able to maintain communication and determine inevitable legal complications -- which is why I worded the the message on the site as so "due to foreshadowed legal..."
more thing its not meant to go on as zeq2 anymore, change the content , blablabla i said it milion times already >_O.
This has been answered already.

Zeth said:
ZEQ2's roots were heavily based on DBZ. Changing the shear level of accuracy we were striving for would not allow us to create the same game. We had already ignored all creative ideas in favor of strict DBZ series ones. Without the strict accuracy towards DBZ, we are nothing.
Zeth said:
We'd have to recreate our content completely as to not be reconized, change the project name, include NO credits, and release completely anonymously over some file sharing or tracker. EVEN then though we wouldn't be able to provide the master global server that we had planned due to contraints. Furthermore, if they ever DID find out we were still working or if we ever DID release, we would face some very serious legal allegations. It's a huge risk.
Soo if you would acctualy host the mod on lets say Nigerian server funi cant tocuh you no more
Even if we migrated to an international server for protection on the webfront, myself and other US-based ZEQ2 project members could still be held liable. Since Funimation has most of my personal information (including address and contact details), I'd rather not even make a joking gesture concerning anything of the like.

Best answers
thats my point exactly, everything esf did, zeq2 did it 2!!! so wats the difference????????????? y zeq2 and not esf?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cuz esf quality cant mess with the quality of Budokai games but what ZEQ2 does, ZeQ2 has just better graphics and a modified q3 enigne. FUNi feared ZEQ2, Rayna said it allready.

Best answers
sorry but i dont believe that bull****... funi has not a damn thing to fear, multi million dollar corporation fear a couple kids making a modification?? that makes ZERO profit??? if anything they coulda let them make the game and just took it from em wit some $$ and made it theirs.. but dbz is DEAD so wats the point about worrying about a dbz game?? its like me making a power ranger game that has better looks than ps3 and better game play than budokai... no one gives a **** its the principle that matters

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well when you can play a DBZ game for free wich has kick ass quality graphics and where the accuracity is better then in the ps2 dbz games, wouldnt you better play a multiplayer version then a Rpg dbz game based on ps2 and wich you get only when you pay?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RISKY.. said:
sorry but i dont believe that bull****... funi has not a damn thing to fear, multi million dollar corporation fear a couple kids making a modification?? that makes ZERO profit??? if anything they coulda let them make the game and just took it from em wit some $$ and made it theirs.. but dbz is DEAD so wats the point about worrying about a dbz game?? its like me making a power ranger game that has better looks than ps3 and better game play than budokai... no one gives a **** its the principle that matters
Just because you "don't believe" it, doesn't mean it's not possible.

They don't have to fear it. They just have to send out a letter to prevent bad things from happening to them. What mod would seriously sue Funi if they were using licensed content? None would. They know the mods'll comply because they have no way of winning a lawsuit.

ZEQ2 looked promising. Do you really think that, if there's even a slight chance that a free DBZ game might be better and more popular than a Budokai game for instance, Funi would just take that chance and risk losing profit over it? I think not.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Did you even read the e-mail?

"We also ask that you delete any other infringing works not listed in this takedown notification, if they exist."

Then dont and say you did.
I would take the email lightly, they didnt TELL me to do so.
Prove to your fans that your willing to get in a bit of trouble for your project.
How long have they been working on ZEQ2?..
Just take the site down.
Continue working on the mod.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And then randomly dump it somewhere on Filefront or something when it's done, at an internet cafe or something so it can't be traced. And provide a manual with it so people will know how to play.

o:

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeth said:
Although I cannot be fully certain, I'm pretty sure the thread topic was on a coinciding note with ZEQ2.

Veghetto is a semi-veteran to the project and came into IRC to discuss the issue when he discovered it (as far as I recall). Given the nature and regulations of these boards, the vagueness of the topic, and that the timing was only several days after the actual event, I'd probably guess it had at least had SOME relation to ZEQ2. Even if not directly related, the project does fall under the general consensus of subject.

Forgive me if I am mistaken or overstepping my assumptions in some way.
Then I must apologize for stepping out of line, I was not aware of ZEQII's situation prior to this thread, with that said, I apologize.

RISKY.. said:
I already said it, ZEQII was a threat to their profits, so everyone that pointed that out, is right. Wouldn't you want to play a free game that has equal quality than one you have to buy? FUNimation saw that ZEQII was a threat to their profits, which it could possibly have became. What you seem to be missing is that ZEQII was a replication of the Budokai games even though it is not an exact replication in terms of specific things, but generally all the same. I'm not saying the ZEQII team made it based on Budokai, I'm just saying that FUNimation saw that ZEQII as a replication of a product which they receive profits from.

Also Dragon Ball Z is not dead, as long as FUNimation is still around, they will make sure of that; without Dragon Ball Z they would not have been the company they are today.

"A power ranger game that has better looks than ps3 and better game play than budokai", then you don't have to worry about FUNimation, you would just have to worry about Disney.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe this is a complete shot in the dark, but how about having some kinda advertisement agreement with funi animation? i mean, if you littered your site with funimation products/adverts, and shove their name in every nook and cranny in the game, maybe they'd agree to letting you continue the project? I dunno :x

Best answers
damn, zeth your right, but is there nothing else you can dO? just hink up of something.. your a smart guy,
And many times i read something like Funimation and Budokai Games, as far i know, Bandai and Dimps developed the budokai games, not funimation. Funi has nothing to do with budokai 3 or tenkaichi.. you wont even see their logo on those games, Bandai America and Japan are the developers of those games not funi. Also Spike and Dimps ( for tenkaichi ) dimps ( mostly for budokai 3) They didint recived an e-mail from Bandai or SPike, they recived from funi... i think. or it might be that BAndai is behind this? And i Belive that Bandai and only Bandai is gaining profit from Budoaki games , not Funi...

and yeah just as DAvid says... try to do something, maybe it will work !

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually you do see the FUNimation logo when you start up those games...

FUNimation might not have anything to do with the Budokai games, but names like Goku, Vegeta, Dragon Balls, Gohan, Saiyan, Namek, etecetera, are all copyrighted names, not to mention the likeness of each character is copyrighted. FUNimation sold rights to Bandai, Spike, Dimps, and Avalanche (Dragon Ball Z: Saga's) so that they could make the Dragon Ball Z games, and usually in the contract that is made, FUNimation is payed royalties and a certain percentage of the total profit made from those games.

There's no way around a legal issue unless you remove anything/everything that is copyrighted by FUNimation which includes:

Audio from the show
Character/Attack names
Character likeness

Just to name a few, the only way around it is to completely change all of that and just focus on making a mod that is based on Dragon Ball Z gameplay rather than Dragon Ball Z itself (ex: ability to shoot beams, transform, etecetera).

Best answers
MC said:
Actually you do see the FUNimation logo when you start up those games...

FUNimation might not have anything to do with the Budokai games, but names like Goku, Vegeta, Dragon Balls, Gohan, Saiyan, Namek, etecetera, are all copyrighted names, not to mention the likeness of each character is copyrighted. FUNimation sold rights to Bandai, Spike, Dimps, and Avalanche (Dragon Ball Z: Saga's) so that they could make the Dragon Ball Z games, and usually in the contract that is made, FUNimation is payed royalties and a certain percentage of the total profit made from those games.

There's no way around a legal issue unless you remove anything/everything that is copyrighted by FUNimation which includes:

Audio from the show
Character/Attack names
Character likeness

Just to name a few, the only way around it is to completely change all of that and just focus on making a mod that is based on Dragon Ball Z gameplay rather than Dragon Ball Z itself (ex: ability to shoot beams, transform, etecetera).

well i played all of those games, many many times but i didint saw gunny logo at the start :p :p. And as far as i know Funi bought rights to dbz like in 2000 year.After that dbz belonged to AKira and Bandai... but that s not the point.. the point is to save zeq2 which is rather hopless atm : (

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guy's just stop.
If their team is so willing to stop their project so easily, their not going to bother with it again.

Best answers
RISKY.. said:
The amount of bull you are talking is unreal. ZEQ2 is NOT a technically a modification anymore. There was a time when it was a modification and there were restrictions of what they could do with the source. Cel shading was faked for example.
They got the full source for quake3 and obviously changed the renderer to produce better quality ingame rendering. The possibilities are virtually endless with the full source. If you know ANYTHING about game development at all you should know that.

There were other plans. MAJOR stuff that would basicly, in Funi's logic, threaten their profit margin offcourse. Now I resent Funimation for imposing the law on ZEQ2 but the fact is they CAN do it. It is obvious you don't know anything about zeq2 or its team members because you are basicly underestimating their abilities. Funimation are smarter and therefore did not underestimate them. I still resent Funimation for it though.

ZEQ2's team is not a couple of kids. We aren't talking about a crappy mod with no direction here. We are talking about guys who have been doing their thing for a while now. In otherwords, they know their ****. You obviously haven't even been reading the thread. ZEQ2's team is probably the one of the strongest dbz "mod" team around if not the strrongest in terms of raw ability(no offence to anyone else).

Fatal_CobraX said:
Guy's just stop.
If their team is so willing to stop their project so easily, their not going to bother with it again.
Offcourse you can say that.
It's not your ass on the line.
It's not you they are going to issue a C and D to.
It's not you their powerful lawyers are going to go after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom