Legal Rights

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
ZeQ2 only hints at 'legal complications'. ESF is older and more successful than BFP and ZeQ2, yet they both get 'closed down' by FUNimation. I smell a rat.
I cant understand how can you be saying that when ESF has more then 3 releases when ZEQ2 had/has non.

We didnt even released anything and Funi targeted us strait away.
I have no idea why.
I think ESF is protected by Steam and Valve.

mf29 said:
who cares about ZEQ2, esf isnt making a profit so i dont see why its illegal
Dont be a fool, we never made ANY sort of profit out of this project.

Revitalized Prince said:
ZEQ2 got lazy, just like all the others.
Excuse me? got lazy in what way? explane.

Enix said:
IMO, the folks at funi are a bunch of *******s. Other companies like Capcom don't mind if you make a mod or some kind of fanmade content, but oh no, not funi.

"Mommy! Look, I drew a picture of Goku in school today! My art teacher said she would put it up on the wall!" - next day - "Whats this mommy? FUNimation says my drawing has been 'Pwnz0red'?"

Blehh...
Very well said, Enix =']

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
I cant understand how can you be saying that when ESF has more then 3 releases when ZEQ2 had/has non.
Exactly, ESF is older, therefore it had more releases and more players, which makes it more successful. If ZeQ2 was released then maybe it would be different, as that game > ESF graphically. It's a real shame FUNi had to be retarded.

What I don't understand is why now, ZeQ2's been around for over a year hasn't it?

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Exactly, ESF is older, therefore it had more releases and more players, which makes it more successful. If ZeQ2 was released then maybe it would be different, as that game > ESF graphically. It's a real shame FUNi had to be retarded.

What I don't understand is why now, ZeQ2's been around for over a year hasn't it?
Yeah, it's been around more then 3 years actually, I think it might be because we raised our quality level to the max...

In addition to that, all of you who are saying we got lazy, try to think again, if you have any freaking idea how much effort we putted in that project...
I gave it my all, same with the rest of the team as well...

Jeez, some people are so nerrowminded...is it so hard to believe we got shutted down?...would you rather wait for a C&D letter?...
It pisses me off that people think we got lazy, if you had any idea what we had going on...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF is well protected by the Fair Use Act.
sorry gokou but this little line rules out ESF

Under the "fair use" rule of copyright law, an author may make limited use of another author's work without asking permission
what part of esf is limited from the show?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
Yeah, it's been around more then 3 years actually, I think it might be because we raised our quality level to the max...

In addition to that, all of you who are saying we got lazy, try to think again, if you have any freaking idea how much effort we putted in that project...

Jeez, some people are so nerrowminded...is it so hard to believe we got shutted down?...would you rather wait for a C&D letter?...
It pisses me off that people think we got lazy, if you had any idea what we had going on...
It has nothing to do with narrowmindedness. Most mods don't make release--it's a fact. Why do most mods collapse? Lack of skillful coders, and lack of ambition.

Several mods in the past have used "legal issues" as an excuse to shut down their mod--they didn't want to just come out and say why they were shutting down the mod, it seems. BFP is highly suspected (if not 'known') of doing this.

The fact that you guys are claiming that Funimation sent a cease and desist order is in itself suspicious--because, as people have said, ESF has been much more successful than ZEQ2 was, and has yet to receive any cease and desist orders. On the contrary, ESF has received special permission from people to use their intellectual property, like the main menu's use of one of Bruce Falconer's songs, the SSJ3 Accension Theme.

Super Veggeto said:

Naturally, people think you guys got lazy and quit. Why? Your site was down for endless months at a time (how hard is it to keep even a front page with a notice running?), seldom updates, etc--if that is hard-work by a dedicated team actively working towards completion, you certainly fooled me.

Please don't think I am criticizing you--I never had anything invested in ZEQ2, and I knew out of experience when you guys started that the likelihood of a release was next to zero.

The point is--don't act so surprised people are doubtful you were shut down, as people have pulled that before, you were previously totally inactive for months at a time, had almost no updates, etc--people understand mods don't always work out and won't hold it against you. Although (if true) you guys have already taken the plunge, so the embarassment might prevent that.

Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
what part of esf is limited from the show?
Alot of the characters, some of the area's in DBZ, movies aren't copied in ESF, GT isn't copied ESF.

Basically, ESF isn't taking much from 'em except for some area's and some characters. ESF has the some of the main characters and the main area's, nothing more.

IF, however, ESF decided to start taking Movie content and GT content, then ESF would have to worry a bit because remember, most of the other mods took movie content and GT content.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I still cannot believe that this has happened. If you guys hadn't have gotten your website back up...

I was really looking forward to seeing this project moved to completion. What bits you had shown the community were amazing, to say the least. I can't imagine what else you had that wasn't shown, or what you had planned.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alot of the characters, some of the area's in DBZ, movies aren't copied in ESF, GT isn't copied ESF.

Basically, ESF isn't taking much from 'em except for some area's and some characters. ESF has the some of the main characters and the main area's, nothing more.
but in dbz (which is some 220 episodes, maybe more) the main focus is on the characters and the settings which are copy-righted and trade marked (most of the copy-right is emphasized on those 2) and there are only about 10-15 movies. more or less theyd be worse off doing the actual series than doing the movies.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
It has nothing to do with narrowmindedness. Most mods don't make release--it's a fact. Why do most mods collapse? Lack of skillful coders, and lack of ambition.
I'm sorry but you probably have no idea who our coder is.

SailorAlea said:
Several mods in the past have used "legal issues" as an excuse to shut down their mod--they didn't want to just come out and say why they were shutting down the mod, it seems. BFP is highly suspected (if not 'known') of doing this.
So you want to say you dont believe ZEQ2 got shutted down by Funi?
If you dont, excuse me, thats nerrowmindedness, doesnt have anything to do with a fact or opinion.

SailorAlea said:
The fact that you guys are claiming that Funimation sent a cease and desist order is in itself suspicious--because, as people have said, ESF has been much more successful than ZEQ2 was, and has yet to receive any cease and desist orders. On the contrary, ESF has received special permission from people to use their intellectual property, like the main menu's use of one of Bruce Falconer's songs, the SSJ3 Accension Theme.
Currection, we didnt get any C&D yet, we just got a notice to take the project down.
Although, it could have gotten into a C&D.

I think that has very much to do with ESF working on Half-life (Valve) and Steam and has some sort of protection.
Not to mention ESF is already up on the net for a few years, sending a C&D now would be completly useless and obviously too late.
Maybe Funi were too late for that, who knows...
But it is indeed very strange, I've been wondering about that myself...

SailorAlea said:
Naturally, people think you guys got lazy and quit. Why? Your site was down for endless months at a time (how hard is it to keep even a front page with a notice running?), seldom updates, etc--if that is hard-work by a dedicated team actively working towards completion, you certainly fooled me.
Everytime the site was down, we had a notice that we will comeback with a running site and full progress.
I guess I cant blame you since you had no idea what went on underground.
Last year, the site went down a couple of times, yes.
It was a simple issue, we decided to go underground for a while so we can work quietly and then raise back up with full material, and so we have, not sure if you've been in that time.

Why we havent released anything yet? not because we're freaking lazy...
Because we wanted to achive more then we already had, we felt we could improve ourselfs over and over again, this year, we reached our max, and I think you could see that in our media shown in our site.

SailorAlea said:
Please don't think I am criticizing you--I never had anything invested in ZEQ2, and I knew out of experience when you guys started that the likelihood of a release was next to zero.
Thats too bad, it's your call though.
How ever, if Funi wouldnt have stepped in you would have seen something from us.
But again...we didnt/dont have to prove anything to anyone, so I guess I'll let that go...

SailorAlea said:
The point is--don't act so surprised people are doubtful you were shut down, as people have pulled that before, you were previously totally inactive for months at a time, had almost no updates, etc--people understand mods don't always work out and won't hold it against you. Although (if true) you guys have already taken the plunge, so the embarassment might prevent that.
No. I am suprised, people are still having the wrong ideas and dont have faith in anything anymore.
Guess I cant blame them though, I know exactly what you mean, I havent seen a decent mod myself who made a release recently.
But faith cant hurt anyone, especialy when it was about ZEQ2...too late now I guess...it's not in our hands anymore.

frsrblch said:
I still cannot believe that this has happened. If you guys hadn't have gotten your website back up...
I know...I'm still trying to hold it off myself...

frsrblch said:
I was really looking forward to seeing this project moved to completion. What bits you had shown the community were amazing, to say the least. I can't imagine what else you had that wasn't shown, or what you had planned.
Thanks man...=[ I really wish you could see what we had going...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
I'm sorry but you probably have no idea who our coder is.

I'm sorry, but I never said I knew who your coder(s) are/were, nor do I need to have.
Super Veggeto said:
So you want to say you dont believe ZEQ2 got shutted down by Funi?
If you dont, excuse me, thats nerrowmindedness, doesnt have anything to do with a fact or opinion.
No, I'm afraid it's not narrowmindedness, it's "experience." I've seen dozens of mods fail--most do--and yours was no exception. Experience tells me, and with ESF and DMZ as precedent, that it's unlikely your mod was shut down by Funimation.

Super Vegetto said:
Currection, we didnt get any C&D yet, we just got a notice to take the project down.
Although, it could have gotten into a C&D.
Then why not publish it? Why would Funimation have given you one, but not mods that are actually out? BFP claimed the same thing--but people actually called Funimation, and their marketing department had no idea what they were talking about--they had never sent any. That's the story, anyway.

Super Vegetto said:
I think that has very much to do with ESF working on Half-life (Valve) and Steam and has some sort of protection.
Not to mention ESF is already up on the net for a few years, sending a C&D now would be completly useless and obviously too late.
Maybe Funi were too late for that, who knows...
But it is indeed very strange, I've been wondering about that myself...
Any modification, legal or not, can use Steam--as long as it's based on the Half-Life engine. Plus, sending a cease and desist letter would stop further releases, and make the game die quicker. Plus, companies protect their intellectual property usually out of principle--not practicality.

Super Vegetto said:
Everytime the site was down, we had a notice that we will comeback with a running site and full progress.
I guess I cant blame you since you had no idea what went on underground.
Last year, the site went down a couple of times, yes.
It was a simple issue, we decided to go underground for a while so we can work quietly and then raise back up with full material, and so we have, not sure if you've been in that time.

Why we havent released anything yet? not because we're freaking lazy...
Because we wanted to achive more then we already had, we felt we could improve ourselfs over and over again, this year, we reached our max, and I think you could see that in our media shown in our site.
I personally saw the site go down for months at a time, with no warning, and be replaced by nothing except "We'll be back soon," that soon being six months. Meh.

Super Vegetto said:
Thats too bad, it's your call though.
How ever, if Funi wouldnt have stepped in you would have seen something from us.
But again...we didnt/dont have to prove anything to anyone, so I guess I'll let that go...
Sorry that you feel you don't "owe" anything to the people you excited (myself not being one of them, but I'm sure there were many) over the years, but you're right--you don't "have" to do anything.

Super Vegetto said:
No. I am suprised, people are still having the wrong ideas and dont have faith in anything anymore.
Guess I cant blame them though, I know exactly what you mean, I havent seen a decent mod myself who made a release recently.
But faith cant hurt anyone, especialy when it was about ZEQ2...too late now I guess...it's not in our hands anymore.

I know...I'm still trying to hold it off myself...
I haven't been accusing you of anything. I'm merely talking about probabilities and the reality of the past. The people "get the wrong ideas" because people know a fishy story when they hear one. In any case, I'd say that the people who frequented your forum (when it was up) and wore ZEQ2 signatures had plenty of faith--and those were the people hurt by the "legal troubles." Not people like me.

[Edited to fix some of the Quote HTML]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NO, seriously.. who cares a crap about ZEQ2?

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Jesus, why are some of you bashing on Zeq2, some of you say they got lazy. Havent you seen that they have been coming out with updates on their project almost every week since they got their new site. You can't say that someone is lazy if their project was taken out of their hands

You see the team constantly improving with each and every update, and they suddenly cut off. That makes them lazy? Something must obviously be wrong if they have been going on for long with updates and such then just stop. It usually would happen if there was no updates for months or something, then that usually means production might have ceased.

Aw man, im really pissed, i really loved this Zeq2 project man. Im about to cry!!!!! One question though super vegetto, will the team do like bfp and make a mod with fake characters then release a dbz "fan" pack later on. That would really be a great idea. PLEASE SAY YES!!!!

Damn...The whole world should jump everyone at funimation, GOD IM PISSED!!! They always shut down peoples mods, but their games always suck. If they were smart, they should have waited for Zeq2's eventual release, then they could have look at the goods and bads of it and develop their own. BUT THERE STUPID ******S THAT I WANT TO KILL AND URINATE ON!!!!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dalte89 said:
Jesus, why are some of you bashing on Zeq2, some of you say they got lazy. Havent you seen that they have been coming out with updates on their project almost every week since they got their new site. You can't say that someone is lazy if their project was taken out of their hands

You see the team constantly improving with each and every update, and they suddenly cut off. That makes them lazy? Something must obviously be wrong if they have been going on for long with updates and such then just stop. It usually would happen if there was no updates for months or something, then that usually means production might have ceased.

Aw man, im really pissed, i really loved this Zeq2 project man. Im about to cry!!!!! One question though super vegetto, will the team do like bfp and make a mod with fake characters then release a dbz "fan" pack later on. That would really be a great idea. PLEASE SAY YES!!!!

Damn...The whole world should jump everyone at funimation, GOD IM PISSED!!! They always shut down peoples mods, but their games always suck. If they were smart, they should have waited for Zeq2's eventual release, then they could have look at the goods and bads of it and develop their own. BUT THERE STUPID ******S THAT I WANT TO KILL AND URINATE ON!!!!
If you are refering to me as the one "bashing" ZEQ2--I am not. I am merely scrutinizing their supposed 'reason' for abandoning the project. Like I said, personal experience--I checked on the site fairly regularly, didn't see the "almost weekly updates" you're referring to.

But yes, as you said, when there's nothing for over half a year, and the site isn't even kept up (or the forums), it's usually a good indicator that nothing's going on.

If you're that concerned, I suggest you pick up the phone and give Funimation a call--and ask what happened.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Alright, im gonna ask a stupid question... SO BE PREPARED!

Whats ZEQ2? and what game are they based on?
ZEQ stood for DBZ Enters Quake, if I'm not mistaken. It was being made on the Quake 3 engine, much like ESF is on the HL engine. They mod was focused around reproducing the DBZ feel in a game, with about as much attention to detail as is humanly possible. Although I no longer have the original file, I posted a reduced version of it which I had as my desktop.

Those were to be the graphics in-game. They had 4 images, exibiting the filter technique they planned on using in the game. The first was Goku, without the aura or overbright from powering up, then was one with overbright, one with lots of overbright for pulses, and another with the aura (which one can assume would be animated and, if I remember correctly, was supposed to wrap itself to the character [nifty bit of coding there]).

All their ideas were way out of the ordinary. Not only were their hexagonal maps very large, but they were designed in such a way as to make them appear larger than they actually were, rather than simply putting in a background. I'd give links to all this info, but yeah.

Funi had quite alot to be afraid of. RIP, ZEQ2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alea is correct about most mods not making it. Mechmod shut down a while back also, but they didn't bother making an excuse such as we see here. Not making it doesn't say anything about the team members skill at what they do. The Mechmod Team consisted of many of the ESF Team members, but it still failed. So why would one mod go on and one stop dead in its tracks if the same people were involved in both? It's just the nature of the beast.

I happen to think it's plainly obvious to see why ZEQ2 stopped, but some people want to believe the story being fed to them, that's up to them. When we pulled the April Fools prank about FUNi shutting us down, many people believed it. Just goes to show how gullible most people are.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
NO, seriously.. who cares a crap about ZEQ2?
Sorry to dissapoint you but some people DID give a crap.

Well, all I can say is that it's your own call if you want to believe that we were shut down or we were lazy. I know the truth, someother people do too, thats all that matters.

Sorry =[ I dont see that happening...
ZEQ2 was always about accuracy to the DBZ series, going against it now will change everything we worked for completly.

Best answers
What you guys fails to notice is that they had no indication what so ever of shutting down at the moment. Everything was going fine with updates and all until suddenly this happens.
The thing about most mods shutting down is that it's pretty easy to notice, like no updates for months (or at all) or no Posts in the forum etc, none of these things could be found in Zeq 2 since they still worked their asses off on this mod. It was clearly a big suprise for many when they recieved that message checking the ZEQ2 site for new updates/news.

So all of you who think it's just laziness haven't been following the mod completely these recent weeks/days, cause if you had you would have noticed the none existence of laziness.

I've been following alot of mods through-out the years, their creations all the way down to their fall. (For exemple what now is Naruto Ninja chronicles, and used to be Nine tails power etc) And I could almost in every case tell when something was going wrong (wether inner conflicts or what u like to call "laziness"), in this case (Zeq2), these recent days I have not.

Edit: Of course I'm not 100% sure what the case really is here, but I do think it's wrong accusing and bashing people without any proper facts.

That's it for now,
over and out.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NinjApe said:
What you guys fails to notice is that they had no indication what so ever of shutting down at the moment. Everything was going fine with updates and all until suddenly this happens.
The thing about most mods shutting down is that it's pretty easy to notice, like no updates for months (or at all) or no Posts in the forum etc, none of these things could be found in Zeq 2 since they still worked their asses off on this mod. It was clearly a big suprise for many when they recieved that message checking the ZEQ2 site for new updates/news.

So all of you who think it's just laziness haven't been following the mod completely these recent weeks/days, cause if you had you would have noticed the none existence of laziness.

I've been following alot of mods through-out the years, their creations all the way down to their fall. (For exemple what now is Naruto Ninja chronicles, and used to be Nine tails power etc) And I could almost in every case tell when something was going wrong (wether inner conflicts or what u like to call "laziness"), in this case (Zeq2), these recent days I have not.

Edit: Of course I'm not 100% sure what the case really is here, but I do think it's wrong accusing and bashing people without any proper facts.

That's it for now,
over and out.
What you "fail to notice" is apparently what my posts were all about. The lack of updates that you say were going "fine," the absence of the website/forum for months at a time with little to no explanation, and slow updates even without the website issues.

They were a pretty good indicator of what was going to happen.

In any case, as I've stated twice now, I wasn't "bashing" or "accusing" anyone of anything--I was talking probabilities.

It's a shame ZEQ2 died, most because of Super Vegetto--while modeling/skinning is an important part of making a mod, it's also usually the first thing done because if done by an experienced modeler, doesn't seem to take as long as coding. So you end up with the modeler doing much of their work early in development, and then if the mod goes under, all that work goes to waste. It's a pity, especially with a modeler as talented as SV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom