learning everything

Best answers
i'm going to learn everything about making a mod
modeling,animating,skinning,mapping,spriting,coding etc.
so i'm not going to release any map for a long time ... maybe i'm not on any forum for a long time so wish me luckyou'll hear more if i'm finished learning :]
PS. i won't give up :yes: and i know it's very hard to do that but i'll do it until i'm finished

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good luck o_O ?

Dude, that's like way too many, if you want to do it right. It'll take atleast 4 years till you have mastered the basics of everything you just summed up.

Best answers
i know but i do it and i won't quit
thnx for good luck

Best answers
uhm i'm going to try it by myself and with some site's (to learn ) no thanks man
it's nice but first i need to learn it
ps. i know there are some guys/girls who don't believe this... but just wait:)
and thanks cold steel ... you helped me with mapping :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't learn everything, learn one or two things until you've mastered them then set off to another one. If you try to "master" too many things at once you'll get them confused.

"Ok, type this... merge vertex this... weld edges... color texture... wait what's all this crap and where was I?!!?"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hate to burst your bubble... but I predict the following:
you're gonna look at some sites that explain how to do modeling etc. for a month or so, then realize that it's too much to handle.
Seriously, starting a mod just by yourself is insane, especially if you don't know anything about coding, modeling etc. yet.

I suggest you stop before you even attempt to start this 'project', otherwise you'll be disappointed when you realize that you've wasted your time.

IF you somehow manage to successfully finish this thing, however... big thumbs up to you. But there's not much chance of that happening.

Best answers
Navanax said:
Hate to burst your bubble... but I predict the following:
you're gonna look at some sites that explain how to do modeling etc. for a month or so, then realize that it's too much to handle.
Seriously, starting a mod just by yourself is insane, especially if you don't know anything about coding, modeling etc. yet.

I suggest you stop before you even attempt to start this 'project', otherwise you'll be disappointed when you realize that you've wasted your time.

IF you somehow manage to successfully finish this thing, however... big thumbs up to you. But there's not much chance of that happening.
Sorry man but I agree 100%

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Youre completely wasting your time.. I attempted modelling/skinning like 3 times, trust me its not so easy

and thats just modelling... you want to learn everything?

Thats like me saying im gonna become president of the united states and have a three-some with Britney and Christina

Best answers
Well hey if the guys really dedicated he could go step by step and learn it eventually... just dont fool yourself and think you can get it all done in like a year or so.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GIVE UP GIVE UP GIVE UP!!! XD Anyway's good luck.

PS: GIVE UP GIVE UP GIVE UP GIVE UP!! Xo

Best answers
hmm.... i should explain then.....
you guys think that i try to learn it in a day..... i know it's hard( i said in my first post ) and i will learn it as good as possible ... not all on the same time or everything in a week or something... i only say : i'm going to learn ..... that means :
learning everything NO MATTER HOW LONG..... so if it's 4 years like CS said... it'll be 4 years or longer... i'm not trying to learn as fast as possible but i'm trying to learn as good as possible.... i don't care how long it takes... i always try until i know it
PS. LOOK AT MY FIRST POST AND MY SIG and this post-_-
i didn't give up mapping so why give up the rest? i mean... first day i tried to work with milkshape i gave up but a few weeks i tried again (and i'm still learning modeling ) and now i won't give up... i just do it time doesn't matter .... i need to do it GOOD and i know it's hard and it'll take a lot of time but i won't give up anymore ...if i do i'll never learn... wish me luck and as i said : no matter how long and no matter how hard
and besides .... all the modelers,mappers,skinners,animators,coders,spriters didn't give up (i mean the guys and girls who are still doing that ) right? so why should i give up?
well ... now read this,my sig and my first post in this thread and think about it....i'm learning one by one no matter.... you know the rest right?-_- if you don't read again
i'll try my best :):yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, you do understand that youre gonna have to completely dedicate your life to this in order for you to be ablel to start a mod by yourself within the next 10 years

Good luck :laff:

Best answers
Well, from someone who has experience, don't try it.
I mod Max Payne myself, and after I tried working in a team (and didn't like the way it was going) I decided that I should try and make a mod by myself, with lots of stuff in it of course.

So I set out learning animating, mapping and scripting, coding and what not (bare in mind, Max Payne doesn't even require proper coding knowledge) and I couldn't do it. There was too much to do, and because of that I couldn't focus on any one thing. My work suffered because of this, I couldn't produce anything of a great quality, I wasn't learning fast in any department and trying to do it was taking up huge amounts of time.

Now I've no doubt that learning everything is possible, and I'm sure that if you were really serious about it you could do it, but without being able to focus on one thing, your work will never be the best.

Something you've got to think about, is who needs all that knowledge? Even if you do learn it all yourself, you won't be able to do everything for a mod, it's just too much work. If you join a team to lighten the load, then it completely takes away the point of learning it all in the first place if you see what I'm saying.

Now I suppose this is just my well informed opinion, but from personal experience, when I started focusing on one aspect of modding, my work improved. So I guess it's up to you, but my advice is to drop the jack of all trades idea, and focus :yes:

Best answers
heh... cool... i didn't say i'm going to make a mod by myself
i said : i'm going to LEARN it so i can do anything with own mod
like : maybe some modelers wanna help me with modeling,skinning and animating or what they can
and mapping is something i'll do for sure ...
then coding ... i guess no coder has time to help me so i'll do it
and if somebody wanna quit then i can do his/her work and i can help ... example:
1 coder, 3mappers, 1 modeler{skinner} 0 animators and 1spriter
i can animate so 0 = 1 ,if coder quits i can code ,if spriter quits i can sprite etc.
so i can do everything ...if someone leaves or has no time i can do it
P.S. for everyone who thought i'm going to make a mod by myself : sorry for that but now you see... and if i said to anyone : i'll make a mod all by myself ..i mean : i'm going to LEARN everything to make a mod ...but if nobody wants to help me i should do it by myself { i think there are some peeps who wanna help me} i know zeldalink and niobe wanna help me ... if there are more people who wanna help me... PM me
and don't PM me if you can't do anything-_-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Coding to me is impossible and im sure it takes years of coding to even THINK of starting a mod

I THINK

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
why dont you guys just try and support him -.- good luck man

Best answers
I am trying to support him, I'm giving him advice that I feel is appropriate.

Ok, I see, you aren't trying to start a mod by your self. That's good. Also, yes, it is a good idea to know a bit about everything if you're a team lead, for the exact reasons you stated. But to be honest, you only need to know a bit. You need to know just enough to keep the workflow going until you can get someone to fill the position again.

You should never have to master any area of modding, because you should never have to do much other than your speciality for very long. If you do find yourself having to do all the work for each department, then somethings wrong with the team and should be fixed, otherwise you'll end up collapsing under the pressure of all the work.

Anyway, the last thing I've got to say, is that even if you want to learn a bit of everything, you should still choose a specialty to focus on. You don't want to get to a point where you're good at everything but great at none.
Anyway, I hope you at least think about what I've said, and good luck no matter what you end up doing:)

Best answers
ok thnx everybody for the good lucks and thanks to -JLN- for the hints
well.... if someone wants to help me when i'm ready PM me (i hope that there's a coder who wants to help me )
i was thinking about : first mod is mod for halflife and second is for Q3 .... but we'll see
thnx to everybody who wished me luck and helped me... and thnx to everybody who wants to help me with my mod (there are no peeps yet but i think they'll come ) :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with JLN if you want to know everything you can only know very little of each. No matter a big your brain is you can't:
1) be perfect. sorry you just can't
2) learn one subject then move to another one right away. you need to practice everything until you feel youre ready.
That's my 2 tips though everyone knows them :fight:. GL man :laff::yes:
P.S. don't start with modeling. if you plan on having a team there are tons of ppl that can help you with that so you'll save time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom