Leap motion ! :D

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Hey guys, what do you think of this? I find it very intriguing and it seems to be many times more accurate and faster than anything on the market right now. This is very exciting and this should be incorporated in many different devices. I really hope this is the future where Apple will be heading together with their speech recognition/dictation (Siri) :)

[video=youtube;_d6KuiuteIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6KuiuteIA[/video]

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I was all meh until they showed Half-Life 2.

I wants its.

I wants its bads.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks kind of annoying tbh. I'll take a mouse and keyboard over any of the new input devices.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
But dudeeeee! Imagine actually shooting stuff using your fingers! That be so awesome!

Pew Pew Pew Pew!!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
People wanted only a keyboard when the mouse came out.. But I think this can replace or be a compliment for the trackpad. You see, you don't have to fling your arms like crazy, by just resting your palm on the trackpad like you would, you can use the tip of your index finger pointing at the screen and do the same. That would be a cool experience! :D

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I want to control shit with mind.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks kind of annoying tbh. I'll take a mouse and keyboard over any of the new input devices.
I'm with Sub, That just looks like another gimmick, Trying to make xbox users buy a PC

I want to control shit with mind.
I'm with hleV, That would be epic

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah.. I'll pass. I play games to relax, not to wear out my arm holding it out stretched.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Like the Kinect? You did see that you don't need to flail your arms, just small finger swipes made it possible to write hello on a 1 square cm on the desktop! :p

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Like the Kinect? You did see that you don't need to flail your arms, just small finger swipes made it possible to write hello on a 1 square cm on the desktop! :p
Sure it does. I also remember the advertisements for the Kinect suggesting that it will bring something out of this world and then when it came out.... well ...ugh. It's basically the same concept. The difference is that you use your hands only to interact with the interface(I don't think that's what it's called but whatever). It's basically a device that captures movement and interprets it as commands if I'm not terribly mistaken, and if I'm not, then that's what the Kinect is too.

Also if I where any consumer, I would not argue about how precise or good the thing can be because last I remember that type of over-hype resulted in a disappointment with the Kinect. Better to wait and see if it turns into something good or not. But until then it still looks like a Kinect for the PC.

Red Saiyan Mod
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Its an innovative way to use your computer. I could see this used to phaseout touchscreens (on computers not tablets of course).
It would be great for presentations, but not for a gaming peripheral. I figure we're gonna start seeing more of this kind of technology.
Maybe in a few years, keyboards will be obsolete. Computers will probably be voice operated and controlled with hand gestures like this.
Also in the future we will have flying cars, self-lacing Nikes and wireless internet for all. ^_^

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Tbh this could be intresting.
If you watch this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZrkXGE8ZA&feature=related

you'll see that you don't need to use the leap just when you think it's appropriate...

i just wonder if it will be able to "click" things. And how it will happen.
Just where you point or do you really ahve to raise your arm getting to that point of the screen.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I am one step closer to create my Tony Stark themed home!

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Tbh this could be intresting.
If you watch this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZrkXGE8ZA&feature=related

you'll see that you don't need to use the leap just when you think it's appropriate...

i just wonder if it will be able to "click" things. And how it will happen.
Just where you point or do you really ahve to raise your arm getting to that point of the screen.
I pre-ordered one...but why is he using the mouse to click on things when he should be using his fingers?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
As interesting as it seems, having your hand pointing at the screen for extended periods of time can be quite a load on your muscles.

So yea mouse + keyboard.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Wow nice stuff. But yeah what Grega said. Still would be nice to have it as AN ALTERNATIVE to mouse/keyboard.

Just a nice person :)
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Yea..... for me, I prefer keyboard for one reason only:
I want to be a programmer.

Programming with my hands all out in space isn't going to work.
Though yea, sticking your brain into a device making the programs for you would be... money making.
(Creating games on the fly, oh hell yes.)

Response on the video above:
He was talking about 3D and used, if controlling a 3D camera, his hand.
Made me wonder that maybe the hand will only be used for 3D space related programs/games.
And 2D will be done with mouse. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Because you aren't that accurate with your finger, sometimes you just want to hold the position of the cursor.
In this case a mouse would be handy..

EDIT (again):
Also, you look ridiculously retarded when you accidentally put your video chat with skype on. Haha ;P

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I can see how it could be useful for total immersion of certain video games but not much more other than 3d graphical design.

Unless they can make a virtual mouse + keyboard with it. That might be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom