LCD or CRT?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking to buy a new monitor because my 15", 13" viewable monitor isn't cutting it anymore. So now I want something nice but not too big so i was going to go for a 17" monitor. The thing is, i get people telling me LCD's are better and I get others saying CRT's are better. Now I ask you, which is better for gamming?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You will see ghosting with most in-expensive LCD screens due to a crap response time. I'd atleast find a LCD screen that has a 8ms response time, otherwise jsut get a flat crt screen.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
You will see ghosting with most in-expensive LCD screens due to a crap response time. I'd atleast find a LCD screen that has a 8ms response time, otherwise jsut get a flat crt screen.
Ghosting is a very opinionated term. I personally see no ghosting on my 16ms (black-white-black) LCD, nor does really anyone else who views it.

LCDs are generally better for your eyes because of how they refresh compared to CRTs. CRTs flash many times a second based on their refresh rate. 75hz = 75 flashes a second, 100hz = 100 flashes a second. The higher, the less you'll notice the flashing. LCDs, on the other hand, don't flash at all, but just change the color of the displayed pixels. Refresh rate isn't what you're looking for with an LCD, but response time; not saying 75hz on an LCD isn't good. For a good, healthy minimum, 16ms is what you'd be looking at. Make sure you use the black-white-black scale, as it takes longer to inverse the pixel than to just darken it (gray-white-gray). A 16ms G-W-G LCD may be comparable to a 20ms B-W-B LCD.

Also, LCDs are notorious for displaying poor blacks as they can only dim the pixel, not shut it off and on rapidly. A high constrast ratio is what you'd be looking for the LCD.

Although, for gaming, I've always found a CRT to just be a lot smoother than the comparable LCD. LCDs are fine for gaming, yes, but the CRT is just really good, matured technology. If you want my advice, I'd say make your own judgement ;). Either would be perfectly fine these days, assuming you get the correct type/speed.

If you have any question, contact me on AIM, as I prefer real time chats.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thank you guys very very much for helping me out. I'm going to go with a CRT then and I'll wait on a LCD. A mod can close this thread if they feel like it but if they close it, they have to do it in a funny way or they can not close this thread. HA! Take that pain!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Enjoy the monitor, I'm sure you'll like it. I personally would've gone with the LCD you've got linked up there, but it's your choice and as before, I'm sure you'll like it.

A mod can close this thread if they feel like it but if they close it, they have to do it in a funny way or they can not close this thread.
Hm... <s>/me drops a spooge bomb on the thread.</s> Closed ;).

Wait, no. We're the evil tyranny. You get no laughs from this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom