LCD ghosting D:

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Greetings, Tech Bench enthusiasts.

So, I got up this morning and started up my desktop PC and began my usual regimen of ruling the forum with an iron fist, and I noticed that several avatars and the forum's "activity meter" were ghosting. I checked my desktop and, much to my chagrin, most of my desktop icons are also ghosting. As is the text in the start menu.

I'm, by no means, an expert when it comes to monitors, but I don't get the impression that LCD monitors are supposed to fall victim to ghosting under normal circumstances.

So, is there any way to go about removing this ghosting, or is my monitor doomed to be buried and join the ghosts that plague its once-immaculate display? :p

If it helps at all, the monitor, itself, is about a year and a half old; I bought it new (not used), and it does, obviously, see quite regular use. I'm not confusing ghosting with a motion blur; I'm talking about an actual image formed to the right of sentences, icons, etc. that gradually fades as it spans further from the image causing it.

I'm baffled by the fact that it'd start ghosting after that, though, as I have another LCD monitor that's about 6 years old and, although it's horrendously small, hasn't started to ghost yet.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
same happend to me when i over used my monitor had it a year and BANG that was it needed a new one excessive use does tend to start ghosting them try changing resoluton if all else fails get a new monitor

Best answers
I had a similar problem, seems to have fixed itself somehow. I'd double check the cabling (try to use DVI if you can) and refresh rates/resolutions before throwing your monitor away.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It must have been an issue with the cabling. I hooked the monitor up to my lappy, and there was no ghosting whatsoever.

I use a VGA cable with a VGA-to-DVI adapter on the end (as my desktop only has ports for DVI cables), and that's something I don't have to use on my lappy, as it has a VGA port on the side. I've got a ton of those adapters sitting around from old video cards and the like, so I tried using one that hadn't seen any usage in the past, and I don't appear to be getting any more ghosting. I should probably just hit up monoprice or some similar site and get a DVI cable, already :p

Thanks for the tip, hars!

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, for future note, when it comes to weird things like that, cabling is usually the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom