Last time i ask for help lol maybe

Best answers
because it constantly runs in the background, which gets in the way of scandisk. just close norton while u run scandisk, and it should work fine

Best answers
What I usually do, is run full virus scans and spyware/adware scans, defrag and scandisk all in safemode, safemode is much more stable because it dosnt use the cluttered drivers and go by what programs tell it to do. If your using XP go into safe mode and run all that crap, under the Administrator login, that way it shouldnt run things in the backround. And remember you cant really run games in safe mode because it uses default drivers depending upon which version of Windows your using.

K

Best answers
ok so i should go into safemode then do a virus scan then run ad aware then scandisk and defrag?

ps.does runnin norton in ur taskbar while playin esf make it lag?

Best answers
Yeah thats what I do, you dont exactly have to, but the programs that are open are things the Virus Scan can't usually scan, because its in use, safe mode fixes that.
And depending on how much RAM you have norton might or might not make esf chug a little, if you have more than 128 megs, I wouldn't worry about it.

K

Best answers
well i have exactly 128mb ram so i dunno and how do i enter safe mode? and wen runnin scandisk i have to close down norton right?

Best answers
Cruzharo said:
Use edit button.
what are you on about? no one has double posted o_O

anyways, to enter safe mode, it depends on your operating system. On some, you might have an option where you can restart your computer in safe mode, but in other you might have to try this (im not sure if this works on all operating systems though...):
1. shut down your computer
2. turn your computer on
3. while your computer is booting up, hold down the 'Ctrl' button
4. at a certain stage in startup, an ms-dos menu will apear, scroll down the list and press enter on 'safe-mode'
your computer will then start in safe mode

either way, once your in safe mode, look on the task bar on your desktop, and see wot programs are running (near where the time is displayed), if anything is there that constantly runs in the background, you can close it. some programs can still run while scandisk is operating, but they are usualy system programs or other programs that are sitting idle.

Run scan disk, and if it still doesnt work, make sure you've closed all non windows system programs that could be causing this, and if it still doesnt work, run a lap around the room screaming about cheese, then you can sit down and notify us :p

K

Best answers
o ok well the only things i have runnin in my taskbar are norton auto protect,Nvidia media center,and volume so could this be causing the problem with scan disk?

K

Best answers
uh can anyone help with my previous question?

Best answers
K you have been told before not to double post, use the edit button, keep it up and I'm gonna stop helping you.
Anyway its possible Norton could be causing a problem, but not likely, you have to go to Safemode to do it.
To get into safe mode just restart the computer and as its restarting Tap F8. When you get into Safemode(normal) login as administrator if your using Windows XP. It should work the same way with 98/ME as well.
By the way how old are you? I find it hard to believe that your older than 13 and know so little about computers. Good luck anyway though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DAmn k u need a new mother board go and get ur self one it only cost $50-$400

Best answers
Why would he need a new mother board? If he cant scandisk it could be a conflict with open programs or a dying hardrive, I'd doubt it has anything to do with the mobo. Dont scare him, he dosn't know much about this stuff.

K

Best answers
lol im sorry for double postin and i know very little about computers even though im 15 lol i guess thats weird ok so do i have this right slander?first enter computer in safe mode then run a virus,adaware check after that run scan disk and then a defrag am i right?

ps.does havin this in my taskbar make scandisk unable to run and esf to lag? this is what i have in my taskbar normally: volume,notonantivirus auto protect,and nvidia media center

K

Best answers
uh sorry for double postin my edit button doesnt work for some reason anywayz i forgot to say that i appreciate all u guys help keep it up lol

K

Best answers
um ok im sorry for bringigng up an old topic but yesterday i did scan disk and defrag and it didnt help the problem, u guys got any other ideas?

K

Best answers
um ok im sorry for bringigng up an old topic but yesterday i did scan disk and defrag and it didnt help the problem, u guys got any other ideas?

Best answers
DO NOT POST 5 TIMES IN A ROW WHEN YOU WERE TOLD NOT TO COUNTLESS TIMES.
Ehm anyway, if it still dosn't work your ONLY choice is to either get a new computer or format, I'm done helping you, you don't listen to rules and dont listen to people.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warning for "K" for spamming like mad with his sex-tuple post (Is that right? Whatever.) "K" don't expect anyone to give you assisstance if you keep breaking rules and screaming. People will come at their own pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom