Laptop Cooling

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, looking for some good external laptop cooling products. Looks like geforce cards from the last 2 gens have some bad thermal problems and are starting to die off. Need my lappy to live another 18 months. Any thoughts from ppl who know about cooling issues?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Mmh, what about cooling plates? I've seen one of my friends using it long time ago.

It doesn't really looks exactly what I had in mind, but he had something like that. A plate where you put your laptop on that gives extra cooling / prevent a lot of heat coming from your laptop.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I need something more in terms of active cooling if it exists. I just don't know much about this topic :p I'll look into it though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can get a cooler as Sky suggested: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998051

If you don't want to do that, you can just point any fans you have in your house at the laptop and that can sometimes help (though not tremendously). Beyond that, I don't know, I've never disassembled a laptop so I wouldn't know about installing additional internal cooling.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you can't install additional internal cooling unfortunately. that product looks promising. TBH I shoulda started my search at newegg ;P

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The sad thing is, there is only one way to tell what cooling is good for a laptop that has a video card.

Ones with a video card need cold air blown on them, so the fans must be facing the computer and blow up. Many laptop coolers attempt to draw heat away from the laptop by sucking air out, which causes issues with high end laptops. Just watch and see that the cooler blows air towards, not away, from your laptop.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah I've been looking at a few like that. I almost hope nvidia does die for this :p Hopefully I'll stave off my own problems til I don't need this thing anymore.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not just Nvidia. ATI's newer cards have pretty bad heat issues as well from what I hear.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but this is diff from simply having bad heat issues. There seems to be a flaw in the GPU itself and cards have been dying in less than a year in some cases.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i elevate my laptop w/ stands on each of the four corners, then have a small fan point up towards the vent at the bottom where it sucks air in.

tada! and it's really cheap

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He already knows what he's looking for if you bothered to read the thread. o_O

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I'm prolly gonna go with the zalman nc-2000. One of the few that appears to be designed with 17 inchers in mind, 2 fans that distribute evenly over the entire surface and has a lot of good customer reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom