LAN sharing problem

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay I have a little problem.
Me and my brother have a LAN and we share our internet connection (no problem so far).
But I hab a little problem with the filesharing in the network.
I couldn't access the file my brother had on his pc, but it worked the other way round
(so I could move files from my pc to his and vice versa while sitting at his pc).
And now nothing works so I can't access his files and he can't access my files.

I hope the description of my problem is good enough and my english doesn't suck too much^^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How if your network setup? is it automatic or do you both have an ip assigned to your brother's pc and your pc? (Right click Network places, right click the connection and go to properties then click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

If it is set to automatic, then give each pc an ip (example: your computer will have the ip 192.168.0.1 and your brother will have 192.168.0.2, both pcs should use the same subnet mask, witch is via default 255.255.255.0).

Does he run a different service pack to you? (it has been my expierence with a friend that didn't have sp2 installed on his machine one time & that I had it installed I could only view his shard files and he could not view mine, though we could still pnig each otehr etc).

You didn't use the network setup wizard did you? (That isn't a way I would ever setup a network).

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You both have to be on the same workgroup, which you apparently are, AND you both have to have the share folders set to share over a network. It sounds like your folder is set for sharing, and his isn't. If he did add the shared attribute to the folder, then he needs to try a different folder that a program isn't using. Sometimes programs, especially database stuff like MusicMatch will lock file sharing in that folder to prevent damage to the files within.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, there are several folders set to share. Ip's are given from the router, workgroup is the same. I guess it's because I have Sp2 and he doesn't. I might have to upgrade his pc to sp2 :( (or downgrade mine).
But there must be another way of doing this, because I'm not feeling like messing around with windows (although I probably won't brake anything).
Can somebody tell me which services are required for shared networking? So I can check that before installing/uninstalling something

eidt : and I've set up the network myself, I hate the wizard (never worked for me for any network I wanted to set up)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
example: your computer will have the ip 192.168.0.1 and your brother will have 192.168.0.2
In a network of that IP range, 192.168.0.1 is usually the default gateway, i.e. the router. You're most likely to see the client machines set up as 192.168.0.100, 192.168.0.101, etc, unless you use DHCP all the time with different ranges and many computers.

If you're on the same network and within the same Windows "workgroup", try this: go to Start->Run, and enter the name of the other computer after two backslashes. In XP, you can see the name of the computer by right-clicking on My Computer, going to Properties, and clicking the Computer Name tab. It'll be next to "Full computer name:" So if that name is MYUBERPC, you'd enter \\myuberpc on the other machine. If the network is, for the most part, set up right, explorer should open a window of all of that computer's shared directories and/or printers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
If you're on the same network and within the same Windows "workgroup", try this: go to Start->Run, and enter the name of the other computer after two backslashes. In XP, you can see the name of the computer by right-clicking on My Computer, going to Properties, and clicking the Computer Name tab. It'll be next to "Full computer name:" So if that name is MYUBERPC, you'd enter \\myuberpc on the other machine. If the network is, for the most part, set up right, explorer should open a window of all of that computer's shared directories and/or printers.
That would do the same thing as if I would select the workgroup and double click his computer --> not working.

I'll try to translate the error message (german windows ftw^^):

Could not access \\"NetBios name" , you might not have access rights to use the network resource. Please consult the network administrator to find out if you have access rights (I am the friggin' administrator)

access denied

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom