Lag Compensation

Best answers
So here's my question. I know games such as Counter-Strike (1.6) have lag compensation commands, however I'm not sure if that's writtin in or if it's a standard command for HL Engine games. If it is infact a standard command, or even if it isn't, couldn't that solve alot of problems regarding realtime combat + ping, in esf?

I'm almost positive there is no lag compensation, as i can feel how slow it really is at higher pings (70+). Where as other games, the effect isn't that apparent.

Basically, lag compensation on a server just sync's you with the server or something right? Doesn't that solve alot of the real-time combat "ping" issues. (i know it doesn't make it perfect, but i know enough to know it shouldn't feel that laggy with some pings).

Or is it infact already in ESF?

Am i making any sense to anyone... :(

(note: I am not saying "If there's lag compensation how come 100pingers can't play like 20 pingers", so if you percieved it that way, :) try again)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
100 pingers can play like 20 pingers. They just don't practice in 100 ping as often as they should. Look at Ape Gohan for example (nsw13 or something like that on the forums) He's from cali, when i was in the east coast- he would own me, and by own me i'd kill him like 3 and he'd kill me like 6. He had 120 ping usually. sometimes even more then that. I had 50. So you tell me.

as for LAG compensation- i don't think so. But there are commands to help you out some, but you don't feel a difference

Best answers
I've always felt a difference with slow fire, etc....

And, i'm not saying the man isn't good. But i can assure you he plays ALOT better on 20 ping than he does on 100+ ping.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tend to disagree.

It's all timing, whether your in 100 or 20. Ape gohan never played in 20 ping because hardly anyone in cali plays the game. So he got used to 100+ ping. So can garantee that his timing would be off. If you just practice in a higher ping you will get used to it.

This game is mostly timing.

Best answers
Mostly timing... correct. But with lower ping comes faster reactions & attacks. Again, i'm not saying the man is bad at 100ping by any means. I'm just saying, he's better on low ping, for sure.

Anyways, it has nothing to do with the topic!!! :(

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there was something with that name on ESF-world if i remember

And no he wouldnt play better on 20 ping. Cause 20 ping is to fast for his timing. so hed loose the timing and make lots of misstakes wich would make him play worse ^^

Its like you live in the desert where its warm and you move to where its about 20 °C colder youre bodey feels like its more than 20°c of difrence. Its all a mather of what you are used to

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ultima2_freeze said:
Mostly timing... correct. But with lower ping comes faster reactions & attacks. Again, i'm not saying the man is bad at 100ping by any means. I'm just saying, he's better on low ping, for sure.

Anyways, it has nothing to do with the topic!!! :(
it's like what Grega said, he would be horrible at 20 ping cuz he isn't used to the timing, he's used to 100 plus ping, which means in 20 he'd be using the timing of 100 so his timing would be off and probably loose. And yes this is very on topic, why? because you want the higher pings to seem lower, how do you do that, fight and practice in higher pings. You will get used to it and be good in it because you are used to the high ping and have the timing down, this game is all about timing.

And your question technically has already been answered. No there is no Lag Compensation, but there are ways to diminish it, but it's so small you can't feel it.

Best answers
well somethimes when i play i feel like im lagging alot when i have a ping of like 50 or 60

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that's usually called lag spikes. It will spike to like 100 then drop back down to 50-60

If it's not that, then i dunno your computer is slow, or you're used to 0 ping in your own server.

Best answers
ni im used to pings like 100-120 but since i fixed my comp im using pings like 50-60. but can see and feel the difference in the game but when it spikes it basacally freezes up for a min or so then it somes back and im usually dead lol

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK quick lession about how the HL servers work.

The servers use a connection protocol called UDP. What the UDP protocol does, is it sends every bit of data it recieves to each individual person. So, lets say a person moves. He sends his data to the server. The server then recieves the data and sends it to EVERYONE. And what your clients do, is basically sort through that data (IF it is recieved) and it will decide what pertains to you, and what doesnt. So litterally every bit of data is recieved and your client will auctally choose if you need to see it or not.

An other part of UDP is the fact that its meant for SPEED. Since it really doesnt have many security calls or calls to make shure that all the data is sent, all it does is sends the information and hopes that everyone that is connected to the server recieves it.

Now onto the client:
Heres the clients job, to sort through the data recieved and only show the data that is meant for the client. But that is done behind the scenes and really inst for you to worry about. What is for you to worry about is HOW often you update and HOW MUCH you update.
I found a REALLY nice article about what your client settings should be for update rate and command rate here. Follow that, and what you see should be updated more often. BUT KEEP IN MIND: Every part of data sent and recieved is as late as your ping. 200 ping means that every command, no matter how many times you update/send means that everything is always .2 seconds late. This will always remain true.

The only thigs that what I have told you will help alievate by updating yourself more often rather than less. And it helps explain what the servers auctally do.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
iv'e owned n00bs overseas on terrible ping of about 500+ on dial up overseas. i can still manage to play on high ping only just , and sometimes i will prefer higher ping for some games depending on what my foe's ping is like

Best answers
Grega and Fire, i have to say you are both wrong.

The man will be better with 20 ping, plain and simple. The potential to be even better is there... Yes he would have to re-work his timing, but once he does everything becomes faster. Attacking, dodging, teleporting, etc... i win you lose much <3 try again :)

Best answers
ultima...i have to disagree with you

using ape niko demus aka gohan aka nsw316 also i will use myself

I probably have faced Nsw hundreds of times...i have faced him when he had low ping and when he had high ping. His abilities are about the same...The ping does not effect him as much as you would think. The reaction timing is still the same...this goes for me as well

I have beaten almost every european player worth beating when i have a ping anywhere from 90-120 and they have a ping anywhere from 20-50. I still play pretty well. the thing is, i play with a different strategy that goes along with the timing. When you lag, you have to compensate and use other tactics, which i do...anyone that has faced me with me lagging or without me lagging knows this. Tactics change and well honestly i think that i would do better in my higher ping tactic than my lower ping tactic.

It is about strategy...if you say "well if he practiced this at low ping he would be better"

You are using an if statement..

that has no basis for arguement since it NEVER HAPPENED. We are using what HAS happened and what people HAVE done...not IF someone did it.

So my two cents is, with ping...strategy does come into play

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't argue with the best esf player...

But he's right strategy has a lot to do with it. But i'm saying fight Ape Gohan, you'll know what i'm talking about. I use ape gohan because he always fights in high pings, SS is usually in an east coast server and has low ping.

Ultima2 if you live on the east coast, fight gohan, 1. he'll own you 2. he'll have a really high ping in your server.

You think that ping has everything to do with skill. No it doesn't. You think the lower the ping the better you are. Wrong. When i played. I sucked in 0 ping. 50 ping was perfect for me, cuz that's when i had the timing down to, cuz i played in it the most. I played in European server such as esf-world. that server was usually full and i always came out on top in the server ranking, i also had the highest ping (140 tops) If you think ping is a huge issue, don't play, cuz chances are in later versions, it's going to be even more ping based then now, making it that much harder to play.

Best answers
#15 , you forget. That if you have low ping, you can still use high ping tactics. But not the other way around, so you really proved nothing.

And you and can give me examples of a million people good at high ping, but it doesn't change the fact that they have the potential to be much better on low ping.

Everything can be faster...
You can keep the same "tactics" used at high ping... Where as with high ping you can't use low ping tactics. Low ping has more versatility...

You're not making any points yet, =(

#15 , a perfect example of how bad your arguement was, let me ask you this.

IF I put in an ATi Radeon x800, to replace my old Radeon 7000 (32mb), i'll get better fps.

OH WAIT I CAN'T SAY THAT IT HASN'T HAPPEND YET! I'M USING AN IF STATEMENT.

No, you see... just because it's an "if" statement doesn't make it less true.

:) <3 <3 <3 (we're so off topic >_O )

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK you have a point. I myself do play better than i did (but i had a ping of 300+ darn 56k modem) and now i have a ping <100 (sometimes it goes over if my bro connects)

But it took me about 1 week of playing worse than i did on 56k modem be4 i actualy got better cause i had to totaly start over. My timing was made after 300+ pings so it was to slow for the <100 pings i couldnt even start swooping at the right time.

It all depends on how fast you can adapt to the changes. And in my case it was a big change.

You can ask the people who know me from the WON days of ESF they will confirm what i just said.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ultima2_freeze [b said:
IF[/b] I put in an ATi Radeon x800, to replace my old Radeon 7000 (32mb), i'll get better fps.

OH WAIT I CAN'T SAY THAT IT HASN'T HAPPEND YET! I'M USING AN IF STATEMENT.
Wrong again sparky :)

IF your computer can't handle an ATI Radeon x800 you could get worse fps then your old video card. You're computer has to be able to handle it.

But ontopic, your question has been answered. And you have 3 people telling you the same thing true to the game. It is how it will always be. Because not everyones ping can be super low. Unless it's lan, your own server, or everyone lives very close to you.

Best answers
Not true #19 ,

I can put in an x800, right now, without drivers installed and get better fps than i would with a radeon 7000.

Btw, actually... my question has not been answered. I was lectured on how the network code works, but not anything about what i said. :(

My point is... There are games (HL mods) that have lag compensasion. As a result, it smooths everything out for you or something to make it more insync with the server (or something along those lines). I know it works, because when you disable the commands, you can use +attack and your shots will fire a few seconds after the initial +attack being used, (dependant on ping).

Right now, in esf... It feels like the same way with the lag compensation off. When someone with higher ping holds to fire an attack, it seemingly takes a few seconds for the command to actually process (depending on ping). My point is, it feels exactly like it has no lag compensasion.

If you don't fully understand what I am talking about, look up cl_lw or perhaps it's cl_lc commands. (I believe it's lc, lag compensation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom