Ki Energy Design

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I've been wondering lately, about how Ki energy is percieved, how it should be perceived in games and how it is perceived in anime. One of the many things that I've noticed in the anime, is that, when two charecters fight, they can use melee and energy attacks (beams, blasts, energy balls, special moves, etc.). The latter, energy attacks, use Ki energy. When the fight starts, both charecters have a specific amount of energy in their body (ofcourse, some charecters have more energy, some less, depending on how strong they are) and they use the energy to attack and defend themselves, while at the same time, they need to preserve energy in order to keep fighting. Energy works like stamina, if you use to much, you get tired and your ass gets kicked, simply put.
But the main point is, once your out of energy, your out.

This is how it happens in the anime. However, what I've noticed, is that in the games, Ki energy is a matter that can be restored, if you pick an oppertune chance when your enemy is distracted, you can recharge you Ki energy.

This also happens with ESF, it takes the concept written above and balances it nicely, to say the least. However, I was wondering if ESF could be spiced up by using the same concept as in the animes, just to add an unique touch, different from what the other games are suggesting.

I know this would be a dramatic change around (or not), but one can suggest and hope his wishes come true and in my oppinion, this is not such a bad idea.

But there are many people in this world who have their rightful oppinions, that's why I'm obviously posting this here. Please take your time to generate an oppinion and express yourselves, I would very much like to hear the oppinions of the game-designers and the community.

Pardon any mis-spels that I might of have made.

--Hight

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ki is a solution to short term balancing problems, it regulates teleport swoop and beam attacks, meaning if you do too much of one or the other you must take the time to replenish it, good players find that this is a vital part of the game, people tend not to get hit unless they're trying to powerup, so it creates opportunities of attack. It regulates the speed of the game by making you stop a short time so you can keep going. If people had a large none self regulated ki amount there would be problems due to the fact that esf is about constantly moving, you aren't ever in a position to just sit back and wait for your ki to replenish. Plus the fact that ESF is a server based gamed its a little unfair for you to do well fighting one opponent and win and then have a new guy roll up and beat on you while you haven't the energy to do anything from the previous fight.

What is being implemented into 1.3 is a stamina bar, it has links to your ki bar in powerstruggles (where you can consume stamina for more ki). Stamina is used in various techniques and regulates certain actions, such as rapid teleporting (pressing teleport every 0.10 seconds) and melee. Stamina cannot be gathered like ki, it replenishes itself over time, though if your ki bar is full and you keep charging up you slightly increase the rate of stamina recovery. Running out of stamina decreases your speed and disables your ability to teleport for a while, as well as making recovering from attacks harder.

It's hard to replicate dbz universe true fighting since balance is key. Balance and good game mechanics will always come before accuracy I'm afraid, we do our best to emulate the desired effect, but it cannot be perfect.

Best answers
I know there's probably a lot planned for stamina usage, but I think that might play an important factor in ki management as well, if played right. I'll make this very generic and simple here. If lower stamina created more openings to attack, like ki recharging does, then it would work to the same effect.

I think Stamina would be best implemented if, under a certain level, it became better to defend attacks and regain Stamina. It would create an Attacker/Defender scenario that was more prolonged than a simple... oops! ya got me! I was recharging! silly me.

Instead it's like... oh crap I used all of my Stamina or lost all of it, and now if I don't defend for 20 seconds, I can get knocked down and finished off by a beam attack. That's just what I think though.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know there's probably a lot planned for stamina usage, but I think that might play an important factor in ki management as well, if played right. I'll make this very generic and simple here. If lower stamina created more openings to attack, like ki recharging does, then it would work to the same effect.

I think Stamina would be best implemented if, under a certain level, it became better to defend attacks and regain Stamina. It would create an Attacker/Defender scenario that was more prolonged than a simple... oops! ya got me! I was recharging! silly me.

Instead it's like... oh crap I used all of my Stamina or lost all of it, and now if I don't defend for 20 seconds, I can get knocked down and finished off by a beam attack. That's just what I think though.
I think its worth putting out that runing out of stamina makes you unable to swoop and teleport. If you run out of it you will probably get killed.

Best answers
Good to know people are considering these ideas.

http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=72284
"Stamina is a Defensive bar. It accounts for successive damage done in a shorter period of time, so if a player gets beat around for 10 seconds they'll feel penalties from it. In this regard, I don't think that Stamina should be used for teleporting, only Ki. Make it so certain moves can't be used when under a certain level of Stamina however, like Teleport and Swoop for example."

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stamina isnt used for teleporting. Its used for overteleporting. Basically if you teleport 3 times or more in less than 0.1 seconds your stamina takes a hit ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom