Keyboard Question

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How do you set up a keyboard so that it allows you to press any combination of keys?

For example, in the Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars demo, you have the standard "wsad" movement keys and the shift key for sprint or speed boost for vehicles. Now, when I hold down the shift key to sprint, while holding down both the "w" and "s" key, I have no problems. However, when I hold down the shift key to sprint and the "w" and "a" keys, my computer beeps at me indicating that I pressed an invalid key combination.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wiki said:
Buying considerations

Some low-quality keyboards suffer problems when multiple keys are pressed in quick succession; some types of keyboard circuitry will register a maximum number of keys at one time. This is undesirable for games (designed for multiple keypresses, e.g. casting a spell while holding down keys to run) and undesirable for extremely fast typing (hitting new keys before the fingers can release previous keys). A common side effect of this shortcoming is called "phantom key blocking": on some keyboards, pressing three keys simultaneously sometimes resulted in a 4th keypress being registered. Modern keyboards prevent this from happening by blocking the 3rd key in certain key combinations, but while this prevents phantom input, it also means that when two keys are depressed simultaneously, many of the other keys on the keyboard will not respond until one of the two depressed keys is lifted. Better keyboards are designed so that this happens infrequently in office programs, but it remains a problem in games even on expensive keyboards, due to wildly different and/or configurable key/command layouts in different games.
@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_keyboard

so basically, buy a better keyboard.
their is no fix for this

edit://
I believe you can test your keyboard for this by typing "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy old dog" while keeping both shift buttons pressed down

Example on my laptop:
"HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPED OER HE LA OLD DOG"

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"H K BN FX JMD V H LZ LD DG"

Jeez, my keyboard must really suck. I guess it's time to get a new keyboard. Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom