Katrina takes a toll on Gas...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
if it was so easy to "buy" it from other countries, and then sell it for an exuberant cost to our own people, why make our own oil and gas, from synthetic materials, for a much cheaper price? we wouldnt want to do that, then the government would make less money... and the people would be happy and have some other incoherant thing to ***** about
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but we dont produce as much oil as we buy from other countries. Synthetic oil also isnt as efficient as natural oil. Contrary to what you may believe, complaining about oil prices is quite logical as it affects each and every one of us. When winter comes along, what do you use to warm your house? A fireplace? Wood? Oil, maybe? When you need to travel long distances, do you run, walk, bike there, or do you take some kind of motor vehicle? Oil is important to modern society. That is a fact. When prices for something we need go from a happy 1.10 to 2 dollars (I've seen gas for 1.10 in New Jersey) to 3,4,5 and even 6 dollars, we have every right to complain.

Our govt. does make money by selling oil. Perhaps the current administration does, but the govt. doesnt.

Best answers
Zeonix said:
Do you honestly believe this is going to push people to develop others forms of power and fuel? There's too much money to be made. Gas prices go up, oil industries are happy, our president is happy.
Actually yes I do. Not everyone who deals with energy is involved with the oil business, so naturally they want to produce something that can rival combustion engines. It's called competition and is a basic tool of economics. People involved in the oil business comprise a very small percent of the population, thusly those of us who aren't a part of the oil business will seek another means to heat our houses and move our vehicles so that we don't have to pay the exorbant prices. Alternative means of energy are already being researched and developed quite thoroughly, but a rise in the price of one commodity (gas) encourages the seeking out of a good that can replace it (alternative energy sources). It is simple economics.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mhmm. We've had the capability to create a hydrogen fueled car and hybrids for many years now. Its only recently that people have felt it necessary to find a way to make these cars a reality.

Is this the first time oil prices have gone up? Hell no. The oil crisis during the 70's is an example of prices going up, and nothing going on in the science department. Are we really going to replace everything with hydrogen? God no. We are dependent on oil. So, scientists can experiment all they want. Oil is here to stay for the time being.

Best answers
Which I never contested, I was simply stating that this will fuel efforts to find alternative sources of energy, which it will. I do not expect oil to be discarded as a fuel source tomorrow, even if a proper replacement was found tomorrow, nations that are still in an industrial state, such as the one we were in at the beginning of last century, will still be consuming oil as it will be more efficient for them to buy. Not to mention the fact that even if it were cheap enough, it would still take time to filter into the mainstream. I'm simply stating my lofty dreams of one day owning a vehicle that doesn't burn fossil fuels to move from point a to point b and still be a viable source of transportation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom