Just taking a peek and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Well anyway like the topic says I was just taking a peek to see what the status was on 1.3 and what was going on in the community since I've been gone. You know I got a real laugh though seeing that scripting/hacking thread closed right there on the top of the first page...

As many here probably don't remember or even know me let me make a short introduction. Awhile back(I dunno a year or so maybe more? Don't really recall). I was still fairly new at the game and there were generally 3 or more topics about scripting daily...huge huge debate back then. A lot of the time the discussion fell back to "well everyone doesn't have those scripts or know how to make them". So I decided well what the hey I'll make a scripting pack. Well I started work on this and then made a poll on the forums asking if I should finish and release it. While the voting ended up being close near the end it didn't pass so the pack never saw the light of day.

As such I have slight interest in this communities views on scripting and so on...So I decided to read this new topic from top to bottom pretty much. Though in doing so I came to realize something...and I'm surprised I never saw this before. This community is largely very elitist(Well a lot of the people who are left anyway). I mean looking through that all I could see is the basic idea "if you don't play exactly like me you are this and that!!!11!1one" and a couple comments about pride....Pride? This is a game its meant to have fun and relax.

Now want to know a little secret? For the most part scripting is no big advantage. Don't get me wrong there are some instances where it most certainly is, but lets be serious the single most talked about script in this mod is swoop. Now in my script pack I had I think it was 6 different ways to use the swoop script with each reacting differently and of course I had to test each to make sure they worked. Well I decided to be evil at the time and test on public servers.

So after the completion of each type of swoop style would come a couple hours of testing to make sure no bugs were popping up. Though after testing I would default back to nonscripted play just to test something out. This something I was testing? To see if these supposed hawk eyed people in the public servers(and yes I played with those on the forums complaining about scripts) would notice the difference in my play. Not once was I questioned about scripting though and while I will not claim to be one of the best esf players I was easily noticable because I was no newbie. Heck even people I played with daily didn't stop and go "hey you are playing different"...

The conclusion I came to from this? Its mostly a mental thing...This game can be extremely frustrating at times and doubly so when you are getting whooped. So people start blaming things such as scripts, ping, kb, or whatever else they must to feel better about their frustration. Its not uncommon in games...heck it's been going on since I was a kid and before video games(yes I am an adult).

Finally a tip for those who have ignored it....Bind your keys right. Even if you don't wish to script you can easily match that speed with the right bindings. An example...shift and w both bound to forward for a quick way to double tap....I will admit hitting the same key twice is always going to be slower then scripting, but with the right bindings and a little thought(ie. which actions does your style use a lot) you can easily match that slight difference.

PS- Don't bother pm'ing me asking for that script pack its long gone, but everytime I show up on the forums I get many requests for it. It was not and will not be released at all unless the public in general agrees to it...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well anyway like the topic says I was just taking a peek to see what the status was on 1.3 and what was going on in the community since I've been gone. You know I got a real laugh though seeing that scripting/hacking thread closed right there on the top of the first page...
ESF 1.3 is still in development, it's current status is and will always be unknown (until it's ready for release of course).

As many here probably don't remember or even know me let me make a short introduction. Awhile back(I dunno a year or so maybe more? Don't really recall). I was still fairly new at the game and there were generally 3 or more topics about scripting daily...huge huge debate back then. A lot of the time the discussion fell back to "well everyone doesn't have those scripts or know how to make them". So I decided well what the hey I'll make a scripting pack. Well I started work on this and then made a poll on the forums asking if I should finish and release it. While the voting ended up being close near the end it didn't pass so the pack never saw the light of day.
Three or more topics about scripting daily? I don't remember there being that many, or of that frequency.

As such I have slight interest in this communities views on scripting and so on...So I decided to read this new topic from top to bottom pretty much. Though in doing so I came to realize something...and I'm surprised I never saw this before. This community is largely very elitist(Well a lot of the people who are left anyway). I mean looking through that all I could see is the basic idea "if you don't play exactly like me you are this and that!!!11!1one" and a couple comments about pride....Pride? This is a game its meant to have fun and relax.
It's less about pride and more about trying to have fun. For it to be fun, most people want it to be fair, thus scripting is considered a violation of being fair.

Now want to know a little secret? For the most part scripting is no big advantage. Don't get me wrong there are some instances where it most certainly is, but lets be serious the single most talked about script in this mod is swoop. Now in my script pack I had I think it was 6 different ways to use the swoop script with each reacting differently and of course I had to test each to make sure they worked. Well I decided to be evil at the time and test on public servers.
Scripting can easily give someone an advantage, regardless of it being something small or seemingly insignificant.

So after the completion of each type of swoop style would come a couple hours of testing to make sure no bugs were popping up. Though after testing I would default back to nonscripted play just to test something out. This something I was testing? To see if these supposed hawk eyed people in the public servers(and yes I played with those on the forums complaining about scripts) would notice the difference in my play. Not once was I questioned about scripting though and while I will not claim to be one of the best esf players I was easily noticable because I was no newbie. Heck even people I played with daily didn't stop and go "hey you are playing different"...
No one is going to stop and say "Hey! You're playing completely different than usual!" unless it's something very noticeable. Scripting isn't very noticeable in my opinion unless you have an eye out for those small details/changes that scripting produces.

The conclusion I came to from this? Its mostly a mental thing...This game can be extremely frustrating at times and doubly so when you are getting whooped. So people start blaming things such as scripts, ping, kb, or whatever else they must to feel better about their frustration. Its not uncommon in games...heck it's been going on since I was a kid and before video games(yes I am an adult).
Scripting has proved to be a valuable tool in gaining the advantage over someone who doesn't use scripts. It's because of this fact that many players who get frustrated will accuse whoever is beating them, of using scripts.

Venting out frustration of being beaten at a video game towards another player doesn't make you feel better. The fact still remains that you were and are being beaten.

Finally a tip for those who have ignored it....Bind your keys right. Even if you don't wish to script you can easily match that speed with the right bindings. An example...shift and w both bound to forward for a quick way to double tap....I will admit hitting the same key twice is always going to be slower then scripting, but with the right bindings and a little thought(ie. which actions does your style use a lot) you can easily match that slight difference.
PS- Don't bother pm'ing me asking for that script pack its long gone, but everytime I show up on the forums I get many requests for it. It was not and will not be released at all unless the public in general agrees to it...
I don't think the community would agree to it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

You obviously weren't testing that around "hawk-eyed players". I've never even seen you ingame.

For me, the issue is people who script still suck at the game. I find that extremely frustrating. If the person kicked my ass around, I'd have something to work towards. I could say "Hey, that scripter is pretty good. I bet I could be better through normal means." I'm not given that opportunity. Scripters like "Jinx" are continually boasting about how great they are, but when it comes down to a duel they just fail completely. Once the duel is over, they even have the balls to say "I WAS JUST PLAYING WITH YOU LOL IM NOT EVEN WARMED UP" and stupid **** like that. So no, being beaten isn't a factor when it comes to me hating any and all methods that aren't "Play the game as is, unless you're making the game better for all."

What really gets me boiled is when "pros" use scripts. Why would a pro script? To be numba 1. Thats why. That is all those people are concerned about. They want to win by any means necessary, and I just don't tolerate that.

Best answers
Yay new thread! so as I wanted to say in the previous thread: Whether or not u could bind 2 - 5 teleports, which u can still do today by adding a couple of ;wait;'s into the script, makes no difference. U could still bind the teleport to the mousewheel, which would give u a pretty damn good amount of teleports after eachother.

And I really don't know Jinx that well and if he's boasting or not, but afaik u're boasting a lot more than him, Zeonix.

Also no1 said the scripters were "pro", don't know where u found that idea in ur dirty mind...

The thing I notice from scripters is that they whine a lot less than u.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mr-A, I'm not going to have another arguement in this thread so leave what happened in the other thread there.

The delay makes binding 5 teleports to 1 button useless. In 1.1, the teleport was instantaneous. Now, it isn't. The delay solved both the scripting of teleports and the mousewheel "problem".

It's a known fact that most of the scripters are actually fairly good players. New players don't even know how to play the game, let alone write scripts for the game.

I have every right to boast, considering I can back up what I say. That doesn't go for Jinx and most of the other people ingame who feel the need to say "I GOT BETTER MAN I THINK I CAN TAKE YOU NOW" only to lose 10-2, despite the fact that I or the people I'm friendly with have been gone for months.

Cheaters usually have no reason to whine, until their form of cheating has been completely disabled. Or until we all start using exploits.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yay new thread! so as I wanted to say in the previous thread: Whether or not u could bind 2 - 5 teleports, which u can still do today by adding a couple of ;wait;'s into the script, makes no difference. U could still bind the teleport to the mousewheel, which would give u a pretty damn good amount of teleports after eachother.

And I really don't know Jinx that well and if he's boasting or not, but afaik u're boasting a lot more than him, Zeonix.

Also no1 said the scripters were "pro", don't know where u found that idea in ur dirty mind...

The thing I notice from scripters is that they whine a lot less than u.
Actualy my teleporet is binded to the mousewheel. And the onlytime it made a problem with the delay was when playing in a server with a certain pluggin. On that server it shot me from one end of esf_city to the other.

In all other servers it works as 1 teleport = 1 delay.

@topic heh i remember you somerandomguy ^^

There were a lot of scripting threads at that time but you did exagerate a little XD

In any case 1.3 is still in development. Oh and about scripting threads. The closedone was the last one in ages.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's no point in having scripting threads around. The only 2 ways this can be settled is if everyone uses scripts or no one is allowed to use them.

Best answers
Just script then. Now it's settled. I shall be happy to write scripts for every single movement in the game if you require, as long as it stops your endless whining.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I wanted to script, I would. The fact that you need to get an upper hand on people shows just how far you're willing to go to get ahead.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the record, when a thread is closed, it doesn't mean immediately make another thread on the same topic... >_>

Let's put down our bats and leave the dead horse alone now.

- Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom