Just some psychological clarification o.O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

Okay, so I'm finally finished with my PC, all the drivers are updated, everything is working and i'm installing WoW now.

However, I wanted to see how I was doing on the temperature side of things.

So let's see here-

It says my system overall is running at 36?C.

Says my CPU is running at 42?C

My font fan is running at ~2015 RPM
My rear fan is running at ~1962 RPM

I'm not over clocking.

I was just wondering what you guys thought. I'm mainly looking for what Cuc and smiff have to say, but any and all comments are appreciated. Since I built it, and it's my first, I'm just cautious and unsure.

And with the ESF community having a wide variety of different areas of expertise I figured perhaps this would be a nice place to start. And I googled before I posted Smith xD

Best answers
It's fine. 42C could be considered warm, but it's probably fine.

Congratulations on building your first computer. You're finally a man-nerd now! I'm curious, what's it got in it?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's fine. 42C could be considered warm, but it's probably fine.

Congratulations on building your first computer. You're finally a man-nerd now! I'm curious, what's it got in it?
Any way to possibly make it cooler? I just don't want to play something like F.E.A.R and have it blow up =/

But here's what's in it:

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811146030

I never did get the LED display to work =/

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131593

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103759

Ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145038

160 GB (Seagate) HDD i got at compusa

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130066

1000W BFG PSU from compusa

and then the sound card that came with the MB, and it crackles a lot which I'm trying to fix, but w/e

And then everything else is from my old computer, CD/DVD drives etc.

I plan on, in the near future, to upgrade to 4 gigs of ram and to SLi another gfx card in there, and to raid my old HDD from my old computer into this one. But that's for another time.

Best answers
As I said, it's a little warm, but it's fine. When looking at reviews on newegg, and people say it idles at 15C, that's obviously under some sort of active cooling, i.e. water. Yours is being cooled by air and metal, lol, so it's going to be a little warm. If you want to cool it down some, you can buy a new heatsink for it and/or apply some better thermal paste.

If you want to check how hot it gets under load, use a program called ASUS Utility and have it set to the temperature graph, and then play a game for a while. Finish playing and check the highest temperature.

Could you im me on aim? I need to ask a few questions: BowToSmith.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Temps seem to be fine at Idle, no real cause for concern. The only thing I would get worried about if it hits over 60/65 degrees under load. Normal operating temps, for most people with air cooling, are around the 50s, sometimes lower as results will vary from hsf to hsf.

Best answers
Chris... my proc idle's at 56C and under load it is at 67C. SO i wouldnt freak out too bad.

And yes, i know we have different processors. Im just saying.

Now Chris, wuts it say in your CPU Manual? It should say the maximum recommended temp.... mine did anyways. (oddly, it was built to shut down at 70 C... but it didnt.)

Yea, i'd get freaked out if it hits around 60C. I know i got really scared when my Prescott hit 97C.... it was supposed to do a shutdown at 70C but it didnt, so i had 2 do a manual shutdown (i.e. i ripped the plug out of the wall, :p)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, to be honest, my old PC would freeze for a second every once in a while, and you could hear the fans in there spike in RPM and then would freeze again for a second and settle down, and every few minutes it would do that, making playing games really really annoying. I'm not sure why it did/does it, but i figured maybe I hurt the CPU, or the psu was ****ed or something, so I'm just being cautious. I might do what hybs does lmao.

I just don't want it to go up in temperatures by a **** load when I try to play a game, and that website says a lot of software/ onboard temps "guess" and are generally too low. Which makes me think my computer is running hotter than 42?C. And I don't like that :x

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, **** side fans. Open up the side, plant a giant fan right next to your tower, and forget about how hot it is in there. Hyb is jockin my style. I'm using my summer fan on my pc, and let me tell you something. That fan might be about 6 inches tall and wide, but it's powerful enough to make anyone extremely cold, and will make your lips crack and bleed if you leave it on while you fall asleep.

Yeah, that **** happened to me once.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, **** side fans. Open up the side, plant a giant fan right next to your tower, and forget about how hot it is in there. Hyb is jockin my style. I'm using my summer fan on my pc, and let me tell you something. That fan might be about 6 inches tall and wide, but it's powerful enough to make anyone extremely cold, and will make your lips crack and bleed if you leave it on while you fall asleep.

Yeah, that **** happened to me once.
Yeah that's what I meant when I said I'd do what hybs does lol

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only problem that I have with my side fan is it sucks up any dust or dirt with the strength of a million vacuums and spews it at my pc. I had to wrap a mosquito net on the front of the fan to keep it from blowing dust or crumbs or w/e is on the floor inside of my pc. I clean it out once a week. No biggy.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to lower your temp, your best bet is getting some arctic silver, and not using the thin film on the stock HSF. That alone will drop you by 8 degrees or so.

Still, as others have said, 42 is fine, 38 is usually what I aim for, so that's acceptable, if not improvable.

Best answers
Nah, 42C is not warm enough to destroy it. My computer is on all day and the highest I have got is almost 48C Laptop though so it got cooled down fast

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to lower your temp, your best bet is getting some arctic silver, and not using the thin film on the stock HSF. That alone will drop you by 8 degrees or so.

Still, as others have said, 42 is fine, 38 is usually what I aim for, so that's acceptable, if not improvable.
If I were to do that, what would I do? just take off the heatsink and apply the arctic silver?

TBH, i think my CPU likes to do wierd ****, it will range from 38-50?C, and will go anywhere from 1.3 to 3.9 ghz when it's supposed to be 2.6 which it stays at most of the time.

Normal?

:EDIT:

Also, maybe some help, I use the audio card the MB came with, because I only have 2 front speakers, (left and right), I installed the drivers on the CD the MB came with, however, I, on random songs, get crackling, like "let the bodies hit the floor" and they're in tune with certain instruments like drums.

Anyone know how to fix these crackles?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't use onboard audio, but lowering the signal, and boosting from the speakers might help.

As for application of AS, you need to use alcohol to get the gunk off the HSF and the proc, can't stress this enough: MAKE IT CLEAN AS POSSIBLE. Put non-excessive amount of arctic silver between both items, then run a game, let it cool, run a game, let it cool, etc, etc. This allows the stuff to cure, and give max effect.

Best answers
TBH, i think my CPU likes to do wierd ****, it will range from 38-50?C, and will go anywhere from 1.3 to 3.9 ghz when it's supposed to be 2.6 which it stays at most of the time.
More than likely that's a erroneous reading by Ai Booster. Use something else to check the clock speed.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
More than likely that's a erroneous reading by Ai Booster. Use something else to check the clock speed.
I already was going like what the hell, 3900 MHZ with a Athlon X2 5200 and only 42 degrees on STOCK cooling.

To your temperature "problem". Well there isn't any.

I have an Athlon X2 4400(The little brother of the X2 5200 so to say) and its running about 39 to 45 max.(Stock)

Mine CPU's temperature is obviously lower because of the lower MHZ its running on.(2200MHZ vs your 2600MHZ and I have a great air flow in my computercase, HDD are idle 19c and stressed 27c MAX XD)

The reason why your MHZ is jumping over the place is because of Cool 'n' Quiet. This little handy application lets your CPU run less cycles when your just browsing and throttles it up to stock speed when required.

P.s. If you experince performance below your computer standards, it could be Cool 'n' Quiet.(I removed because the driver was *****ing when I played Call of Duty 2)

P.s. 2 To be hunderd procent sure of your CPU temps use, http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/
Do not use it at the same time as Asus temp tools as your system might become unstable and crash.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't use onboard audio, but lowering the signal, and boosting from the speakers might help.

As for application of AS, you need to use alcohol to get the gunk off the HSF and the proc, can't stress this enough: MAKE IT CLEAN AS POSSIBLE. Put non-excessive amount of arctic silver between both items, then run a game, let it cool, run a game, let it cool, etc, etc. This allows the stuff to cure, and give max effect.
Yeah, I don't know if it's my speakers, or my card, or what. But here's what I"m getting: http://putstuff.putfile.com/31056/3288386

It might be a little soft, so if you can't hear it well, turn up your speakers. I've been fiddling with my speakers and stuff for a while now and nothing seems to be working. =/

This only happens sometimes, with certain songs. This song happens to be one of them. Please don't comment on the song itself, merly the problem, if you do comment on the song, at least post something that might fix my problem, thanks D:

Best answers
What is the bitrate of the songs that goof up? If they all happen to have the same bitrate... then we might've found your problem.

Though, i doubt that the bitrate has anything to do with it. My expertise isnt in the sound department. :/

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is the bitrate of the songs that goof up? If they all happen to have the same bitrate... then we might've found your problem.

Though, i doubt that the bitrate has anything to do with it. My expertise isnt in the sound department. :/
Not sure, that song was playing off of google video.

Best answers
lol... oh. Yea, im guessing that if you listen to music on your PC, then your using WMP or Itunes.

If so, what are the bitrates of the songs that are messing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom