Just simple question.. If you had the FrostBite 2.0 Engine ..

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The entire Red Faction engine was built around the "destruction" feature, Goldsrc isn't. You can make an engine for the purpose of having realistic destruction, but to effectively use it on our current hardware, you would have to scale back on other areas of the engine.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While destroying land scapes in Red Faction was indeed fun as I also spent hours doing that. The biggest explosion you have is a grenade or a rocket launcher. ESF:F has spirit bombs and GIGANTIC energy attacks. One ball would / should destroy a mountain and the land that it sits on. How fun would it be to be in a level with mountains everywhere and to have it all destroyed with one single attack?

Yes we can scale that back so it doesnt happen, but you also have to remember... ESF is not a slow game nor an actual FPS game any more. ESF:F is in fact appx 3x - 5x faster than our 1.2.3 release. So hiding in a hole in a wall to kick a rock at them or shoot a beam at them would be pointless because before you even release or press the button, the other person would be long gone and out of your range before you even hit them.

And yes as fun as destroying land would be, imagine joining a server where the entire land is already gone and your entire battle field is just a flat surface... Personally Id be annoyed about that. ANOTHER ISSUE is because this is a hacked in feature, calculating destructed environments and sharing that information with other players over the internet at a rapid rate will cause an immense problem with both the computers , internet speed, and gameplay.

gameplay as in, one player will have shot a mountain with a bomb and destroyed the land scape, if you factor in the time for the engine to calculate the destroyed landscape and then to send it to all the players on the server. Not everyone will have an enjoyable game.

HENCE, for our hacked to hell engine and game playability, functionality, and usability, we will NOT feature destructible environments.

Best answers
so what? for real..........that would only happen when u join a server where they already played some hours...and u can still add something like a reset after the planet explodes^^ namek style:D when planet suffers too much damage the planet dies.....with lava fontains and stuff....dark air....ground cracking apart:D
and it still would be cool to gothrough a destroyed village....see the capsule corporation lying in ash.........
playing with a friend or something on a own server would be cool awesome! and u can also sure change something with the pls and stuff....so a single kamehamehaa doesnt destroy a whole mountain.....well atleast not when ur just at a pl of 1million or something...i really would enjoy that:D West city would trumble under my power:D

to bad esf cant add that.........but hopefully they decide atleast for battle damaged models^^

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I like the "at least" in that, as if to say that making multiple versions of each model and skin for each character and adding the code to make them change isn't asking for much.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just give the mountains like 100k HP, so they wouldn't get destroyed in every map or at least at the beginning of the match. Once they're destroyed, leave a big crater in the ground so it wouldn't be a flat surface after destruction.

Best answers
there is sure a way to configurate the damage for the mountains and the earth and stuff....just a little balancing

and for the models....it aint that hard to add some scratches and stuff on the models and add the modelchange to a specific among of hp....it is some extra work sure thing.....maybe they figure out a way to make it easier...like clothes get a extra model....and on the normal model only scratches will be overlayed...over the normal skin and the normal clothes are destroyable...would be awesome!^^ that way u could add other clothes to the models...not every goku on the server would look the same.....and adding some scratches and stuff wouldnt then be a big problem either...the clothes model would stay for all transformation stages....and if they gonna add healing...then only the damaged on the skin gets healed....and the clothes stay that way....laying a model over another one is possible....adding some scratches which only get layed over the model shouldnt be that problem either...if they can add a scratch over another skin it would be real easy.......if they would have to make a skin for every stage...its a bit more work....but well...i even think i gonna suggest that cloth over model thingy:p if that is realisable then the modeler dont even have to make a lot more models....just one "nude" model and not even all chars have clothes...they take the clothes and add some hp to them and well i dont know exactly how its possible without killing performance that much but maybe it gives a idea:D

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there is sure a way to configurate the damage for the mountains and the earth and stuff....just a little balancing

and for the models....it aint that hard to add some scratches and stuff on the models and add the modelchange to a specific among of hp....it is some extra work sure thing.....maybe they figure out a way to make it easier...like clothes get a extra model....and on the normal model only scratches will be overlayed...over the normal skin and the normal clothes are destroyable...would be awesome!^^ that way u could add other clothes to the models...not every goku on the server would look the same.....and adding some scratches and stuff wouldnt then be a big problem either...the clothes model would stay for all transformation stages....and if they gonna add healing...then only the damaged on the skin gets healed....and the clothes stay that way....laying a model over another one is possible....adding some scratches which only get layed over the model shouldnt be that problem either...if they can add a scratch over another skin it would be real easy.......if they would have to make a skin for every stage...its a bit more work....but well...i even think i gonna suggest that cloth over model thingy:p if that is realisable then the modeler dont even have to make a lot more models....just one "nude" model and not even all chars have clothes...they take the clothes and add some hp to them and well i dont know exactly how its possible without killing performance that much but maybe it gives a idea:D
You clearly have no knowledge of Half Life or how it works it would seem. So let me break it down for you.

Every scratch on the model every tear in the clothes every limp in the walking would require a separate model.

As as example giving Goku the ability to have a torn shirt and torn pants would result in 4 Goku models taht need to be made:
1.) Normal with no damage
2.) Pants torn, no damage to the shirt
3.) Shirt torn, no damage to the pants
4.) Shirt and pants torn.

Now lets add a bloody left hand to the mix and see what we get:

1.) Normal with no damage, no damage on hand
2.) Normal with no damage, hand damaged
3.) Pants torn, no damage to the shirt, no damage on hand
4.) Pants torn, no damage to the shirt, hand damaged
5.) Shirt torn, no damage to the pants, no damage on hand
6.) Shirt torn, no damage to the pants, hand damaged
7.) Shirt and pants torn, no damage on hand
8.) Shirt and pants torn, hand damaged

So its 8 models just for 3 possible damage outcomes. Adding a ripped of shirt to the mix would add another 4 more models because it kinda replaces the torn shirt.

So if you have 6 areas of damage that can be done to the model that do not overlap with previous damage areas such as (right leg, left leg, right hand, left hand, pants, shirt) as a result you must make 2^6 models which is exactly 64 models just for 6 damage areas. For 1 character.

Why you ask, cause we have animated clothes, and if we want to continue with such quality, we would have to animate the tears in the clothes, we would have to animate the different movement for the damaged body parts and so on.

Yes we could do clothes separately, but the result would be arms and legs occasionally popping out of the clothes on certain animations. And even that wouldnt help since we would pretty much have to model so many separate clothes pieces that still need to be animated.

So if you are really keen on this happening, why dont you show what kind of skills you have and lend a hand.

Best answers
i would but i cut myself on a piece of paper^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom