Just curious: Will the forum ever be fixed?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know that you all know it's been "broken" for some time now. But will it get fixed? My best guess is that's Greg's problem, and seeing as he's never around that it may not get fixed anytime soon. But it's just annoying when i try to say something, and put a ":)" at the end, it doesn't show (just like now all you see is "") So people usually misinterpret what i say, and i do the same to other people. And resort to using =) which is annoying on my part cuz i never do it that way.

Nothing big really, just curious.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, well I hope he fixes it some time, we should all overstream his PM box so that he can fix it, but i'm sorry, i'm not sure what the problem is, something to do with quotation marks.....?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, that depends per person Walmat, some people have a box with an X show up, but others (including me) don't see anything. And when I'm making a post, instead of anything showing up next to the post box (where you type) I get to see alot of words (one word for each smilie) which is rather annoying.
Overflowing Greg's PM box won't work, because I don't think he is online that much. Infact:

Last Activity: 01-29-2006 04:17 AM

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I, too, wish they would fix the forums. I know they fixed the avatars not working, but as for the emotes, well, they're still screwed...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm, I wonder why this has been doing this, does anyone know why, a coding error perhaps? Well I think I understand what problems you're talking about, but I myself have no clue why, and it's a shame that Greg hardly comes onlnie, but I hope he reads te A.S.A.P! :)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Try to view any of the emoticons (right click -> view image)

Example: http://forum.esforces.com/images/icons/icon37.gif

Not Found
The requested URL /images/icons/icon37.gif was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
The files are missing, and he doesn't know how to use .htaccess files correctly. *insert rolling eyes emoticon here*

Just click "Disable smilies in text" before hitting Submit Reply. :p

And the chances of this being fixed are approximately... zero, even though it would take 1 minute to copy the default emoticons out of the vbulletin archive/steal them from another forum.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
I see nothing as I have FF and FF doesn't use the box with a red X. Personally, I just put a space in the middle. : )

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, like i said it's not a big deal. I'm just wondering if it ever gets fixed. :x

donnierisk said:
Okay, well I hope he fixes it some time, we should all overstream his PM box so that he can fix it, but i'm sorry, i'm not sure what the problem is, something to do with quotation marks.....?
I'm not talking about quotation marks, I'm talking about emotes (smilies). When i type ": )" with no space between i see ":)" (i put the smilie in the parenthasese[sp?] with no space, as you see, nothing showed up[for me i see nothing])

And i regularly forget to make it =) instead so something shows up. Thus getting my introuble because the smilies really change the mood of what you're saying.

For example:
1. Walmart Security sucks! =P
2. Walmart Security sucks!

See the difference, one implies I'm joking, the other i'm serious. So really smilies do make the difference.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, until someone with database access gets around to fixing the emoticons, I suggest that you get into one of two habits:

Habit A: Use text smilies that aren't recognized by the forums.
Habit B: Start selecting "Disable smilies in text" as you post. That way, regardless of what you put, the smiley will show up as you have input it, like this :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
Well, until someone with database access gets around to fixing the emoticons, I suggest that you get into one of two habits:

Habit A: Use text smilies that aren't recognized by the forums.
Habit B: Start selecting "Disable smilies in text" as you post. That way, regardless of what you put, the smiley will show up as you have input it, like this :)
Okay, that's all i wanted. You can close this now. Thanks.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
It has nothing to do with the forum database, you need someone with access to the files on the server (FTP, SSH, etc.)... and as far as I know that is only 1 person.

Ah, that's good to know. In any case, the point of my original post stands - there is nothing I, personally, can do about it. ~Maj

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will disable smileys until they are repaired. I'm going to talk to masta and see if I can't get backend access to repair the mess here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom