Jumping for distance vs Jumping for hight

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Got a simple one here, just as the title implies something that perhaps could also give esf a bit more of the classic dragon ball feeling; y'know the one, back when everyone didn't just fly all the time. I propose making at least the tap effect for jumping while moving a quicker kind of overly complicated evasive maneuver. Lets call it a hop.

Wouldn't have to add or change any animations I think, just give the player about 3 or four times the speed(maybe control?) for a third the time you are in the air. Gaining the option to dodge left right, forward, back & up without burning as much ki as teleporting but perhaps gaining as much or more distance at a slower more trackable rate. I would like to see the game more fully utilize the jumping mechanic and it's own already, exceptional, 3d movement by evolving the jumping feature in a very simple and I believe effective way.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
lol

I actually like the idea, although when you want to dodge, you normally want to do it instantly. Thus teleport works better in that regard. And when you just want to move without a time constraint, you fly.

I would like to see something like this because more options are good to have while skirmishing, especially if you are in a stamina bind. Maybe a dev can speak more on the design aspect.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
I always liked the jumping in esf, especially the wall jumping. On the rare occasion you jump into an enemy and melee them it feels really good. I agree with teleporting for dodging, but stamina is going to be a big factor now as you said. I imagine like blocking, it doesn't really need to be there, but it makes for a good piece on the board and could have great potential, combined with small ki attacks while chasing an opponent who is low on ki, or even reverse the situation and say you need to escape. Make a smoke screen and get out of sight.

I just love how esf rewards creative application. It's the heart of genius in it's design!

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked wall jumping just for how cool it looked and felt. I hope it stays,

Badassologist Ph/D
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
one of the best suggestions ive seen. its definitely capable of being balanced and adding another dimension to the ESF gameplay.

Misanthropist
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Teleport will always be more effective, but ...

I would like to see something like this because more options are good to have while skirmishing, especially if you are in a stamina bind.

.. And it would be nice if chaining different techniques together didn't feel clunky.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
In 1.2.3 that clunky feeling cant be helped, especially on high ping servers where your timing is delayed. That aside one can adjust the style of play on the fly, requiring more of a steady hand, than the frantic snap-to esf is intended for.

The range of adjustment given how you personally handle the game is nothing short of impressive, flight patterns alone prove this, but when combined with attacks, and combined with well timed wall jumps makes the playstyle out to be like artful dancing in the right hands.

Problem I have with PRO players, is that they pre-define their style of combat to leave no room for play or error on the other side. In many cases I find these patterns predictable, and rigid as a bread stick.

Problem remains that said person has trained themselves to be far superior in terms of speed, and can just as easily predict your prediction. It's quick, it's too the point, and it's not pretty. BUT DAMN does it give you Eren Yeager(Attack on Titan) levels of drive and determination.

With all that skill and talent, I would personally expect most fans of DBZ to act like the series villains, and let weaker opponents have more freedom of movement and more time to execute their efforts, ala, toy with them; before relentlessly assaulting them. But what can you do aside from pretend your Krillin and Yamcha?

ONLY esf lets you express your execution so diversely in such a simple manner. Adopting little things to improve on current features is the road to immortality!

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Seven months later... I have to ask if you guys have considered this suggestion, and if you plan on using it or something like it at all? I really think it will add to the overall gameplay experience in bounds!

The only Russian ESF fan
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Although not exactly being what you want, there already exists a way to leap for distance in 1.2.3.
Double tap the directional key, then release it and immediately jump. An alternative to glide.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
A technique I employ, and I would call it an advanced technique in terms of this games abilities. I suggested the jumping cause the jumping in the game lets you bound like six(Or more) stories high, and it's proven that people can jump a greater distance than they can in terms of height AND the kind of bounding I'm thinking about has been done in the series several times.

I guess I'll just have to resign myself to using turbo run, and jump/teleporting to get that kind of distance. Really this is something I felt would help enhance the wall jumping, and dodging experience.

Best answers
when you hear strange sound in the night you know
well u could also beam jump with turbo on... that's fastest way to go around. just cancel beam immediately as it contacts.

P.S. what clunky feeling in esf? it's the smoothest and fastest game i played... if you get 'clunked' on actions your timing is just wrong.
like with TP if you hit right timing for it you can chain tps in like 200 ms gaps.

Last edited:
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’  Sลซpฤ Lรฉgรฉรฑdฤrรฝ
Best answers
Let's say you are in a bad position, no KI left to fly/teleport etc etc... You double tap W/A/S/D or space to get away from attacks without having to stay still to regenerate KI

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Turbo will not make beam jumping any faster in Final, so I hope it has a decent speed compared to flight. Still I'm talking about low KI mobility, beam jumping is not that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom