Jinx's Model (2nd attempt)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why bother making a thread asking for help if you're not going to supply them with the information they require to aid you? You keep posting torsos and that's great, but they need wire frames to critique the model. If you're not going to make it easy for them, don't bother.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
..... I cant just ask for help when itz needed =|?

I'm not bein mean or nuthin x.x im just askin for alittle rope here and there so i can climb the mountain

I'de rather have the final model be crit'ed wire frame crited becuz Ide get the chance to vs what I see is good overall vs everyone elses thoughts =p , besides there isn't a faster/better way to learn than to learn first hand

Btw i cant wait to finish this xD, i get a feeling that making a model with clothes will be much easier xD

btw ty Onslaught , J-dude, Laheen, and the spiderman guy(man 2 beat>.<) for helping me so are.

Best answers
Why bother making a thread asking for help if you're not going to supply them with the information they require to aid you? You keep posting torsos and that's great, but they need wire frames to critique the model.
Normally I'd hate to say this, but xerimethius is right. You need to post wireframes to get proper crits, Jinx. It makes ppl judge the polyflow as well...

It's required for proper commenting/criticizing x.x PLEASE understand... >_>

Best answers
Basically, it works like this. You aren't going to get any comments that will improve your skill or understanding of the program unless you do as they say. I myself haven't a clue how those programs work (To a degree) but I can understand what they're talking about. Posting pictures of your model all smoothed out like that isn't going to help you in any way, and this thread becomes pointless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you should stop making to many big smoothshaded Renders.

Its pretty annoying when you open this thread, seeing something unfinished, represented that big when you have seen such a product already 49124089 times.

like everbody said , show the wires ( the lines you use to work on your mesh)
dont make them toooo big please. also try to go on yourself, there isnt anything better then beeing selftaught.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<_<....
The reason why i haven't posted wires is because ide rather tough it out and figure things out on my own @ first ^^ , instead of taking the e z way...
what do you mean "The EZ way"...? there is no EZ way in modeling. Of course.. there is a "make things more difficult" way, which you of course have found. Trust me man, post the wires or no one will really care to help you... nor could they anyway if they did want to.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
take it from someone who knows, if you won't listen to me, listen to growler. he started out as a real pain in the ass know it all... and now he is actually very good.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Legs need a dash of detail. The point of the pubic bone is a nice touch, but it seems a bit too sharp. And btw...why is the neck beveling out?

Anyway, I know you're trying to work it out for yourself, but honestly, showing wires is the best way to show fellow modellers your polyflow. Polyflow is an essential aspect; it's not just about getting a shape right. You have to consider the economy of poly to ensure that your model can deform properly when you rig it. Otherwise the model can produce some disappointing results when you attempt a rig. Where you're at isn't an unsalvageable point in the modelling process. You can still do just about anything to fix questionable polyflow, but if you can catch it early, it's much easier to fix.

Trust me from experience. Almost a year ago I was working on a model and posted my results here. I was a beginner to critique and had no proper training in modelling a character meant for a rig. I posted my polyflow and was bombarded by more seasoned modellers with critiques, and you shook me greatly since I felt I had done nothing wrong. It took me SOOOOO long to begin understanding proper polyflow, as I would remake the model and keep getting shot down and make it again. I STILL can't say for sure that I have it mastered, but I'm certainly much more enlightened than I was and have been producing much better models since.

All in all, I HATED it to the point of verbal tirades, but the critiques of the people here bettered my abilities many fold. It may eventually REALLY piss you off, but if there's anything that can force you to do better, it's when you're doing it to prove you can make something they approve of.

Best answers
are they just edited cylinders the arms + legs, and also looks like your tweaked the poly flow majorly :D nj

Best answers
Holy crap, nice! o_O

See, that wasn't so hard, now was it? xD

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I c...

I post wires.. and i get nothing(critiques)..

great..

ty 4 the complimentz tho...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You haven't posted wires. Post the damn wires so we can stop having this conversation.

My bad. I thought I was on page 2.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks good to me. Watch the shoulders though. Some of the angles seem a tad sharp. Though I see why I thought you'd meshsmoothed. I thought there were far fewer polys than you've got going here. Make 'em count though. If a vert isn't defining much between other verts, you might as well weld it to another one. Aim for detail, but away from complexity...if that makes any logical sense ;)

Plus, here's a tip: When making a character you want to be detailed, it's always best to have a nice lower poly model as a base. The fewer polys the better, so use them as efficiently as possible. Then make the skeletal rig w/ biped. Doing this will almost automatically make your rig easier to manage and increase your overall control. This is because having few vertices to work with allows the biped less geometrical errors and less work to do to for setting the rig up.

After the rig is done with the low poly model, add your meshsmoothing/turbosmoothing on top of the modifier you used for the biped control (ie: skin, physique, etc). Obviously you should use meshsmooth with specific vertices selected to ensure you don't smooth what needs to remain sharp, but the result is utterly pleasing. Basically, the smoothing modifier acts in real-time as the biped moves. Since the smoothing is applied after the biped rigging, it will smooth out the low poly as it changes shape, which provides a very organic "fleshy" behavior to the mesh as it moves. This prevents and effectively eliminates sharp deformations that would occur if you applied a biped rig to a high poly version, where you would have to manually ensure that each of your numerous vertices behaves properly.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Ty, but i have no clue what rigging is =|, although phobs told me eariler that itz somethine like the "skeleton of model"?

Also =p I read in some thread that you shouldn't have triangles, but i was wondering are they bad ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ty, but i have no clue what rigging is =|, although phobs told me eariler that itz somethine like the "skeleton of model"?

Also =p I read in some thread that you shouldn't have triangles, but i was wondering are they bad ?
Oh God...aye-aye-aye-aye-aye...

Okay: a rig is how you get your character to move. You either create a bone-system or a biped (for humanoid characters), and then align it and size it out inside your model. Once that's done, you either apply a "physique" or "skin" modifier to your character model. Using either modifier, you choose the biped root (or pelvis of the biped; either works) which creates a default rig for the character. Basically, at this point, you can move any bone on the biped, and the character model's polys will follow those bones making the body animatable. However, the default will ALWAYS need to be severely personalized for it to work properly. Some vertices will follow the wrong bones. Some vertices will be incorrect because multiple bones are influencing them. Some vertices (easiest) will simply not be connected to any bone, and you'll have to assign them to the right one by hand.

It's a lot of work, and with a high poly model, it can be torture. I speak from experiencing this digital nightmare myself. The fewer the vertices you have to correct, the less difficult it will be to rig. Follow my meshsmooth after advice and it will make the whole thing painless. Mind you, don't settle for just "okay" when you set up a rig. A beautiful model can look tragically ruined with a half-assed rig.

EDIT: Oh, and about tris; they're fine, but polys are best. If you have tris, make sure they have a specific purpose.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
J-dude ty again =)

Hey everyone check the first page plz, was trying to think of some cool pants ideas, as i modeled these mants from thin air...

obviously itz not done ^^ but its a start xD

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
think of the skeleton as the skeleon, the mesh is what then gives shape (like your muscles) and then your texture would be it's skin.

and having critique on your model is far better than having compliments.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
think of the skeleton as the skeleon, the mesh is what then gives shape (like your muscles) and then your texture would be it's skin.

and having critique on your model is far better than having compliments.

Yup I want critiques..

Go checkout the first page! the arms are beginning to shape up, altho the shoulders were a pain so far.

Btw does anyone know how to texture a model?.. like how can I begin adding color and texture to my model ^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom