Japan Ready to Militarize Space

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gojira said:
TOKYO — The Diet has passed a law allowing space to be used for military purposes, including allowing Japan to possess early warning satellites that could be used as part of a missile-defense system and to jointly develop with the United States satellites for defense purposes.

The bill cleared the House of Councillors at a plenary session Wednesday morning.

The new law emphasizes the development and utilization of space, based on the U.N. Outer Space Treaty, which prohibits the deployment of nuclear and other arms in space, as well as on the defense-only principles of the Constitution.

The law proposes space development for security purposes based on the following aims:

• Improving people's livelihoods.
• Eliminating threats to human lives.
• Contributing to international peace and Japan's national security.
In addition to this, the law also includes provisions for the establishment of a new strategy headquarters, headed by the prime minister, to deal with space development in order to strengthen Japan's competitiveness in the global space industry.

Once the new office is created, a Cabinet member will be appointed to oversee development, while a space agency also will be established within the Cabinet Office within a year of the law going into force.

The law aims to set up a tax system and other monetary measures that will enhance the technical capacity of the nation's space industry and promote private sector investment in the field.

Since 1969, when the Diet adopted a resolution that restricted the use of space to peaceful purposes, successive governments have limited the nation's space development to "nonmilitary" purposes.
Source: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/5799397.html

It always starts with defensive measures. Then they realize the best defense is a great offense. As most of you know, the US has been a major voice against banning weapons in space, so it makes sense for our allies to slowly follow suit. It's only a matter of time before all of the major players weaponize space. The question is whether we'll be using those weapons on each other..........OR ON ALIENS!

Gundams, mechs, blah blah. In before you guys turn this into anime central.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering Japan's geographical location, I'm going to say yes.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
C'mon guys anybody who is worth his weight in salt knows Gundams were only developed because of the development of Minovky particles, which disrupted radar and interfered with long range combat.

In other news, I kind of hope it takes them long enough to load sophisticated weaponry into space for me to live out my life without the next-gen cold war scare in our outer atmosphere. Japan may be assisting us, but they're still under our laws to not form a military right? We'd have to repeal that before they could start making actual weaponry.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're doing it for purely defensive reasons, but I don't see what would stop us from adding some "attachments" to their equipment or piggy backing using their rockets.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's barely a differen't situation than Israel. We hand them high tech solutions to military problems to deal with a particular enemy nearby. I see nothing wrong here, screw North Korea.

Best answers
this is made as a way to defend them selfs just in case north korea shoots another missle over japan towards the united states like they did in 2006 4th of july i remember that day we almost went to war with them over that until they seen how we were doin it up in iraq then thats when north korea started to get rid of there nukes and stuff but they are still a threat they kidnap people alot in asia whatever though i hope they make a gundam and then they can have gundam wars lol

Best answers
this is made as a way to defend them selfs just in case north korea shoots another missle over japan towards the united states like they did in 2006 4th of july i remember that day we almost went to war with them over that until they seen how we were doin it up in iraq then thats when north korea started to get rid of there nukes and stuff but they are still a threat they kidnap people alot in asia whatever though i hope they make a gundam and then they can have gundam wars lol
Periods dude... please.

I can't even comprehend that. =P No offense.

As for the militarization of space.... ****in awesome.

Thats all im saying.

Best answers
Surely a weaponized outer space won't hurt us once we get that Star Wars defense system up...right???

:fight:

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Surely a weaponized outer space won't hurt us once we get that Star Wars defense system up...right???

:fight:
Star Wars was created for the purpose of knocking out ballistic missiles. Having Japan place defensive armaments in space is mutually beneficial for both them and us. Our space-based weapons are above and beyond anything we had hoped to stop with the Star Wars program. I look forward to seeing a test demonstration of our space railguns at some point.

Last edited:
Best answers
Star Wars was created for the purpose of knocking out ballistic missiles. Having Japan place defensive armaments in space is mutually beneficial for both them and us. Our space-based weapons are above and beyond anything we had hoped to stop with the Star Wars program. I look forward to seeing a test demonstration of our space railguns at some point.
I was joking, thus the smiley.

The Star Wars defense system more or less turned into the new "heat guns" that the U.S. is putting out as "non-lethal" (reports indicate that it can be quite lethal). It has even been equipped to planes as the new ballistic missile defense.

To the point of space with weapons I figure it was going to happen sooner or later (I'm sure the original Star Wars defense was partially based on this eventuality too). Let's just hope we build interstellar motherships before we build the ion cannon that can blow up Earth.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

The Star Wars defense system more or less turned into the new "heat guns" that the U.S. is putting out as "non-lethal" (reports indicate that it can be quite lethal). It has even been equipped to planes as the new ballistic missile defense.

To the point of space with weapons I figure it was going to happen sooner or later (I'm sure the original Star Wars defense was partially based on this eventuality too). Let's just hope we build interstellar motherships before we build the ion cannon that can blow up Earth.
thats not gona happen. They are to buissy making defense systems and new weapons to even think of space colonization ^^

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

The only difference being heat guns actually work.

@ Grega: I don't know about actual colonization, but we intend to start building bases all over the place. To what end, I'm not sure, but it's probably for both civilian research and military purposes. Maybe even military research. Do our rules really apply on a base on the moon when there's no humanitarian agency to enforce them?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sadly, probably not, but if the public found out they were doing some outrageous **** there, some type of justice would come of it one would hope.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sadly, probably not, but if the public found out they were doing some outrageous **** there, some type of justice would come of it one would hope.
I don't know, man. Angry space letters wouldn't make me stop experimenting on humans.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's the population at home that you have to worry about. But then again, I'm not so sure I guess. Look at the U.S's secret prisons..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly space defense systems would probably be a good thing. One it would encourage people to figure out a better way to get to space and would also help clean up the orbit.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how would it clean up the orbit? You can't destroy matter, so if we blew up **** in space, it'd still be there, only now it would be orbiting junk instead of an orbiting space station. Everything currently orbiting the earth would still remain there.

And I would imagine that we're currently thinking of new ways for space travel, regardless of if we militarize space or not.

If you ask me, nothing good can come of space militarization.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how would it clean up the orbit? You can't destroy matter, so if we blew up **** in space, it'd still be there, only now it would be orbiting junk instead of an orbiting space station. Everything currently orbiting the earth would still remain there.

And I would imagine that we're currently thinking of new ways for space travel, regardless of if we militarize space or not.

If you ask me, nothing good can come of space militarization.
Pretty much everything awesome that we have is thanks to the military. Hell, they're even leading the fight for alternative fuels now. People don't give enough credit to the military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom