Jack Thompson and Adam Sessler Debate Over "Bully"

Best answers
The game daily guy did great.

Jack Thompson completely owned Adam Sessler and kept a level head throughout the entire debate.

Adam was obviously infuriated at the sight of Jack Thompson. He was way to emotional.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Diamond Princess said:
The game daily guy did great.

Jack Thompson completely owned Adam Sessler and kept a level head throughout the entire debate.

Adam was obviously infuriated at the sight of Jack Thompson. He was way to emotional.
I'd be pissed too if I was able to talk to Jack Thompson, though I do agree that Adam Sessler should of kept a cool head. This was an interesting video though, I thought when Jack Thompson started raising his voice was funny.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rockstar is releasing a new game?! Quick, I need some more popularity because I haven't been in the press lately!

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sessler was supposed to be emotional, I think he was more of a gag guest than anything. That was barely a debate, nobody got time to talk about almost anything. I wanted to hear Jack's argument against parental responsibility but they ended the discussion too quickly. Perhaps I can find his position somewhere online.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mark wins this debate no question. Not only did he keep a cool head about it, but he brought up a very good point in that, it really is the parents responsibility on what their children watch, play, and do.

Also:
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

We're a free country, we have the right to go out and do whatever we want within the law. If I feel like going out right now, buying San Andreas, and killing people, blowing **** up, and having sex with hookers only to kill them afterwards, that's my right. And I'm not going to let an attourney change that.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well he does have the right to protest, and a change would be merrited here or there. Parents are human, and humans are totally irresponsible creatures, so relying on one human to keep another one in line is an excerisize in futility. We'll see what happens in a year or two down the line.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't even watch all of it, cause I'm at work. I don't think I have to. No. Just...no.

First of all G4 is a sponsor-driven joke, it is a terrible place for this kind of thing to be held. Its lack of journalistic integrity is on par with the al Jazeera news network. Secondly, a legitimate debate is definitely needed, desperately, before we will ever be taken seriously, and this kind of 'for ****s and giggles' type stuff only serves to further stereotypes about us. Third and last...Rockstar sucks anyway and this game is just another lame attempt at milking controversy for a profit.

Honestly if I could I'd make a "gamers against rockstar" group. Or at least a "Legitimate Gamer's Society." The defense of this stupid game idea only serves to make us appear more juvenile, more ignorant, and more disrespectful than ever. And it does so toward people who are watching it who are much more important than Jack Thompson himself is.

Hillary Clinton hates video games as much as Lieberman and Thompson. What if she gets elected president one day?

Honestly...just think. This is a battle that has to be won on HIS terms for it to be a final victory. Inviting him on G4 in hopes he'll say something ignorant that's quotable only adds fuel to the enemies of video games, and the fact that we're defending the usual junk from Rockstar is a perfect sign pointing towards the enemy's perceived reality of us--that we WANT 'murder simulators' and 'rape simulators' more than we want GAMES.

It will take a charismatic, fiery, level-headed and sharp person to step up in our representation to ever change things. I mean you guys sit and laugh at Jack because he rants and raves but look around. There's nobody out there that's FOR us, only varying degrees AGAINST us.

Things need to be done right and soon. Otherwise, by the next president there are going to be game legislation laws that are going to completely RUIN this free industry, I promise you.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL

Jack is loosing it >.>

Friction in video games is one thing. But when the news report of killings and stuff like that that happen in the real world it causes the doubt that friction my even be real.

Fact is. To be human is equal to be powerhungry. The question is only how to gain that power. Most people just shoot on straight the easy way. "The stronger i am, the more buts i kick the more respect i have" And thats what causes violence. Not games >.>

Its like saying "Im ny dream i killed my neighbour now im realy hona do it"

Come on >.>

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris` said:
If I feel like going out right now, buying San Andreas, and killing people, blowing **** up, and having sex with hookers only to kill them afterwards, that's my right.
No no NO.

It is perfectly within my capacity and ability to go out and buy cheese, but does that mean I have a right to cheese? And if for whatever reason, on any given day, lets say the grocery store is out of cheese, have my rights been violated? No, of course not, that's retarded.

Nobody has a right to buy San Andreas, you included Chris, you're misconstruing the law.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
holy **** jack thompson is old. wow...

lol... he trained on doom to do it!

adam sesler is hilarious.

Best answers
I always pictured jack thompson as some indian guy, I don't know why. Anywho games like bully, in my opinion, are stupid and a waste of space and money. However it's the right of rockstar and other people to be able to play/make such games, as long as they are old enough. Parents should really look at what their children play.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have to agree with sessler though, people are using video games as a scape-goat for all the **** thats not right

cloud13

C
Actully thompson didn't keep a level head at all, if you recall he was screaming for them to keep going so he can get his stupid point across. Its parants like him who just want a scapegoat for being a bad parrent. Im 16 and ive played violent games sence i was 10 if i recall my first was carmageddon on the pc. I have never been in a fight or even made another person bleed other then on the football field. Idiots like this humiliate my intelligence with this bull****. If parents could teach their children the difference between reality and otherwise and go take a class on how to raise a child.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the real debate is around what Thompson wasn't allowed to say, which is whether or not the parents are really responsible. I honestly don't believe our generation or the last one is responsible enough to handle their children. I head the electronics department at my retail store and I see on average about two kids a day buying rated M games because their parents tell me "He'll be ok" or "He's seen worse on TV." People in general are irresponsible, and sometimes it would do us well to have someone with a little more sense than we have step in and 'assist' us in regulating ourselves. If a parent raises his child on video games to begin with (some as young as 6-7) you can already see a problem developing, and of course the parent who lets his kid raise himself on the computer isn't going to care about an M rating on a video game. Besides, when it comes right down to it, you can blame the parents all you want, but the damage is already done to the kid, and when he grows up he'll be as leniant about it as his parent was. Somebody has to step in somewhere.

Best answers
The thing that I hate about him is how he insists on saying these guys 'trained' on Doom. I mean Jesus, I'm not saying the rest of his argument is bulletproof or anything- because, well, it isn't- but that is probably his most laughable point.

I've played a lot of Doom in my time, but I don't think any of it has prepared me for the actual experience of handling a gun. To compare a controller (or a keyboard/mouse combo) to an actual weapon, with the incredible difference in weight, shape and, y'know, the ****ing huge difference in use, is absolutely ridiculous. This man is supposed to be educated! If this kind of moron gets through the education system, becomes a fully qualified lawyer, then wooft, then America is in a pretty bad state.

I suppose you could say I was raised on Video Games. I asked my Mum if it ever bothered her that I played really violent games when I was younger, and she just said she gave me enough credit that I could tell fantasy from reality. After all this time I'd hardly say I'm capable of killing someone.

So I don't think it's just irresponsible parents that cause this problem, and I don't think it's the games developers fault either. People are looking in the wrong place when it comes to placing the blame for violent crimes in general. Video games are just a scapegoat for people like this, because no one wants to fight the bigger problems that we all know are there. Bad parenting, bad education systems, they all contribute to a persons character. Violent movies, TV, or games will only affect you if it's in your character to be affected.

Jacks just trying to make a name for himself, get a bigger bank balance, because he knows people just love to go after the scapegoat as opposed to the real problems, because tackling the real problems is hard.

The answer is never gonne be in censorship, not in a 'free' world. :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i still hate walmart for not selling me mature rated games, when sam goody does, even though they got sword of knocked away since gamestop came in, even though i hate them.

Sessler had a good point though, simple as it was. We had violence before video games...

and thompson is just an idiot, "i predicted that columbine would happen !1!!!one!!1! sooner or later it was going to happen, regaurdless. thats like saying your going to eat today.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope this... Bully is banned from our gaming world. No better yet, Rockstar Games - they seem to spend an abnormal amount of time promoting violence in their games, and the funny part is they're good at it. This is so pathetic. You run around as a little snot in school torturing other kids & teachers. What kind of bull**** are they cramming into games these days? If any of you feel up to trying this game, it's not something to be ashamed of, but if you actually plan on reserving it I really feel sorry for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom