Its legal to download Cartoon episodes right?

DMW

Best answers
My friend and I have a dissagreement.Is it legal or not to download cartoon episodes.Such as Dragonball z.Anyone who knows for sure please let me know so we may end this dispute.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
hmm this is a hard decision, it is not legal to download normal episodes but it is illegal to download movies because the only way to see them is if you buy them, it is not legal to download movies but is legal to download episodes unless you use them for trading purposes

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it's legal since they sell DVD sagas.

Because if you downloading episodes were free. There would be sites with all episodes or else why would they take sites with episodes down?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...What?

The American dubs of DBZ are licensed under FUNimation. Yes, it's illegal to download them. -_-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if an anime is licensed it is illegal to download. it has to do with copyrights and what not. since naruto is licensed its actually illegal to download any episodes of that show.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well actually it's not about what's on the dvds, but about liscencing. Basically, funimation liscensed DBZ from Toei. Therefore they have ALL rights to american distribution. Any DBZ content is controlled by them, especially episodes.

Retired
Best answers
this is what i figure. if you download for the purpose of watching it once because you missed it being aired on cable then its fine.

you already pay a cable bill which if you wanted you could record the show in question which alot of people do.

i figure if you pay the cable bill and miss a show, there's nothing wrong to download the show and watching it.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that's your opinion even if you think that's legal it's not... even if it makes sense
to answer your question, NO it's not legal

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes ofcourse it would be illegal

streaming is just a different way to download it
ofcourse that also would be illegal ?!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, its more than a little illegal for sure :p

look at it this way. FUNimation are paying for the licence to show the episodes. you are paying sky/whatever network for your license to view that channel.

by downloading them for free, your avoiding the payment on your end. your basically stealing someones money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
yeah, its more than a little illegal for sure :p

look at it this way. FUNimation are paying for the licence to show the episodes. you are paying sky/whatever network for your license to view that channel.

by downloading them for free, your avoiding the payment on your end. your basically stealing someones money.
I get what you mean, but that analogy isn't really correct :p

You can choose whether or not to buy the episodes. Just because they are licensed doesn't mean that automatically means you have to give them your money. In that sense, it's not stealing, seeing as how the money doesn't belong to them until you actually buy the episodes. :p

But yeah, downloading licensed anime hurts the people who do buy anime, because the DVDs will be more expensive in the end. I only download unlicensed anime and more often than not even buy them when they get printed. :p Just because DBZ is an old show doesn't mean it's fair to download them for free.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DMW said:
My friend and I have a dissagreement.Is it legal or not to download cartoon episodes.Such as Dragonball z.Anyone who knows for sure please let me know so we may end this dispute.
Short and easy answer: It's not legal to download anything.

Nag

N
[longer answer to the previous posters post ;)]

yup it's illegal, because in any aspect of you downloading an episode, or whatever, you are taking money from companies.

No matter what format you what it from, TV, DVD, etc, it contains advertisements, be it obvious commercials, to leaflets inside the DVD case, to the miniture logo (of say The WB for example) on the DVD spine. If you download an episode, all that is removed, and the people who disribute the episodes via download are removing that money from all companies involved, and usually have their own adverts on websites to make money for themselves, even if it all supports hosting fees. They get closed down and sued because advertising is BIG money to companies, and for every person that downloads, they lose that little bit more money.

If you record from TV yourself, it is different, since you are not selectively watching the show. If you record from TV you are still recognising the channel you recorded it from and you are recording all advertisements that go with it, if you download instead of record, then you are bypassing the advertisements and the TV station, and don't forget that the TV station wants it's important ratings etc, in order to tempt other programs and advertisers to the channel/network. Even recording from TV involves you purchasing something to record, and then media to record i on, and again, download removes that cash from companies.

They (the companies) can't do much to downloaders thou. The viewer isn't responsible, all the viewer wants is to watch the show in the best way possible, and downloading is sometimes that way. The distributers are the ones to blame in this case. Think of it like how drugs are treated (i'm not suggesting that you should take drugs here, it's only a comparison :D), if caught in the act, a user won't really get much punishment by the law, but a dealer will get the full force of the law, depending on their traffic, which applies in the same way to illegal downloads.

Personally, i'm going to keep downloading. I am of the belief that there should be a world wide release, maybe even spread out over a couple of weeks. i live in the UK, and i like some american shows, and i don't see why we should have to wait like 3-5 months for shows of the same language to be released here... and regional coding on DVD's is also a load of bull... it's the same content, just show it all at the same time, the TV releases will be faster, and the downloading community will be drastically cut.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not illegal unless you delete it from 24 hours you download it from. It isn't illegal if it's not licensed. =/

Best answers
Both are illegal no matter what. If you look at the dvds they say "Dragonballz is a copyright of....Any copying(blabla bla).. you can get up to five years in jail and/or a $200,000 fine" something like that so it's illegal no matter what. It is however legal to tape the episodes on your VCR when they are airing.

DMW

Best answers
So no matter what its illegal.Thats what i thought,my friend carlos dissagrees with me as he says I quote "it isnt illegal if its been aired on tv and i have payed for it via sattalite,they already got there money from me for that,i didnt record it so i downloaded it,its just like recording.I can watch it when i want either way so whats the problem".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom