It's in development, our first time machine.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sry, my friend erased some of my codecs so I can see some realy strange colors(green and red and orange and yellow) on that movie. Can U eplain me what is it all about.

Best answers
sry, my friend erased some of my codecs so I can see some realy strange colors(green and red and orange and yellow) on that movie. Can U eplain me what is it all about.
A guy developing a way to contact the future through bending time?

Best answers
i dont care, its all cool and class, but he shouldnt really mess with time, think about what could happen if something went wrong if he mess's up the space/time continuum, people from the past could be coming into the present, future ppl going way into past, time itself would be just haywire.

eventually would most likely CAUSE a black hole so the galaxy would shift out of place?

overall, i dont think people should mess with time, or even try.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont care, its all cool and class, but he shouldnt really mess with time, think about what could happen if something went wrong if he mess's up the space/time continuum, people from the past could be coming into the present, future ppl going way into past, time itself would be just haywire.

eventually would most likely CAUSE a black hole so the galaxy would shift out of place?

Did you even read the article? Stuff can't go into the future with this. Stuff from the future could only come back to when the device was activated. Black holes aren't even involved!

I don't think people should be so ****ing ignorant.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I like how almost every tech thread turns into an "omfg humans are evil and technology is going to ruin our lives!1!11!" thread because of posts like these.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, everyone needs to go read The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchet, RIGHT NOW!!!

it involves the concept that you may have known about the location of your house, all your life... but only two weeks ago.

hehe.

anyway, i firmly believe, that if time travel were possible, that someone would have come back and told us by now.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If someone came back and told us that it is possible, then when we do create a time machine, why would we send someone back to tell us? If we discover it in the future, why would we care enough to tell people of the past it's possible? If we currently have the technology, there's no reason to go back hundreds of years and inform the past. Time paradoxes are everywhere. Think about it. The video clearly explained a situation that's also a time paradox if you pay close attention. The issue was never actually addressed in the video clip, however.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well then there is that "multiverse" theory, which means that if someone went back in time to tell us to build a time machine, a whole new universe would be created, in which that universe has the people building a time machine and the older one continues as normal.

I never liked the idea of time travel.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you saw someone that says hes from the future. Youd normally have him locked up in a mental institution.

In any case. I belive some things he says is a bit of bull****. But the theory is interesting.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The ways it sounds, those in the future will be able to contact us, or come back to the invention of the first one. Although this all seems scary, in the very least it would prevent people from altering historic events that lead to where we are now.

Really, it seems like a fail-safe to me. Almost like setting a backup point in your computer's system restore. Hopefully the technology will only be allowed in the proper hands. At this point in time, it might be an invaluable thing. If the machine were used properly, then those from the future would be able to provide us with radically advanced technology. Perhaps radical new means of generating power that would have taken us 500 years? The means to colonize other worlds? Tell us of other civilizations, or warn us of natural catastrophes? Or maybe even stop pollution and emissions and clean up the Earth hundreds of years before the technology is available, and put these means into action early. The possibilities would be endless. Quite likely, it would be the single greatest achievement in the history of mankind.

And if the machine ends up to ruin the world from then on? The first message sent would be to tell the inventor to destroy it. Really, this is a gamble, but it could open up so many miraculous possibilities that I have few qualms about seeing the thing finished.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Chakra, the multiverse is a set of hypotheses. There is no true evidence for or against them. M-Theory dictates a similar but fundamentally different multiple universe scenario. However, M-Theory has no evidence other than in equations, purely theoretical thinking. Going 'faster' than the speed of light could in fact have no effects whatsoever. According to another 'theory', the Varying Speed of Light 'theory', the speed of light actually changes from different parts of the universe to another (there is some weak evidence to suggest this), which if true, means that this machine will have no effect other than increasing the relative speed of a particle past a certain point (which may yield some very interesting results).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i see a loop going on here, the future sends us information that helps generate advanced technology. we build on the technology to an even greater extent, we send that information back to the past...

if this **** actually works well solve the mysteries of the universe in a single day just based off of this theory

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If someone came back and told us that it is possible, then when we do create a time machine, why would we send someone back to tell us? If we discover it in the future, why would we care enough to tell people of the past it's possible? If we currently have the technology, there's no reason to go back hundreds of years and inform the past. Time paradoxes are everywhere. Think about it. The video clearly explained a situation that's also a time paradox if you pay close attention. The issue was never actually addressed in the video clip, however.
why not bother? it could lead to inventing it earlier, stopping numerous bad things from happening etc.

lets face it, anyone who is worried about "messing up their own timeline" shouldn't worry anyway. if the timeline is skewed, no one will no about it, so who cares?

as i said. you may very well have only known about your entire existance, for the last 2 days.

Best answers
lol, everyone needs to go read The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchet, RIGHT NOW!!!
I could almost kiss you for having said that! You read Terry Pratchett's work? lol. Granny Weatherwax rocks!

Anyway, back on topic. I know of a million things I'd love to see from the future.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what they said on the video made alot of sense, you cant go back to a moment where a time machine didnt exist or wasnt activated. its basically like a telephone, only across time instead of distance.

i dont see why this wouldnt hold true in the hyper technologic future either, you cant exactly get anywhere without a mutual gateway between the two points.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People from the future can offer us their technology. And perhaps we can start on repairing our world. Assuming we're still around in 200 years or so.

This is interesting, but when you think too much about it, it just gets confusing.

Best answers
I believe it's not gonna work, returning into the past is not something humans can do. Using lasers to go back in time? WTF? That guy is gonna fry himself before he can even try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom