It's about ****ing time, Valve.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The long-talked-about, much-anticipated Left 4 Dead expansion pack, first mentioned on Kotaku, hits the PC and Xbox 360 this spring.

The L4D Survival Pack introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode, Valve announced today. They also say that a Critic's Choice Edition of the game is heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

In addition, PC gamers will be able to get their hands on the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source Software Development Kit which will allow the creation of custom Left 4 Dead campaigns that will be discoverable via L4D's matchmaking system. The SDK update is also due for release this spring, and is free of charge to all owners of L4D on the PC.

"Since Half-Life launched in 1998, Valve has made continuous efforts to expand the offering of its products beyond what's included on the day of launch," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "With Half-Life and Counter-Strike, and more recently Team Fortress 2, we've learned that we're no longer making stand-alone games but creating entertainment services. With Left 4 Dead we're extending that tradition by creating additional gameplay and releasing our internal tools to aspiring developers so they may also create and distribute new Left 4 Dead experiences."

OK, you can run around shouting now.
http://kotaku.com/5147229/left-4-dead-survival-pack-unveiled

Finally! I wonder what the survival game mode is, though.

Best answers
huzzah, finally.. could be fun poking around at mapping for L4D

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe now its worth the money

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A bit underhanded if you ask me. Valve released the game unfinished at $50 and are going to charge us more to restore the work that should have been released with the original title. Valve isn't alone in moving this trend forward, with Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider recently releasing 'real endings' and additional end-game content in the form of DLC, effectively requiring gamers to pay for the ending that wasn't pushed out with the product.

Left 4 Dead is a decent experience but there isn't enough content to justify $50. I regret purchasing the game at full price.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game is great, and in my opinion, it was worth the $50 purchase. I just pray that the DLC is free.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I just typed on the chatbox, if I had to venture a guess, this content will be free (provided you bought a PC copy of course)

1. Valve has never charged for downloadable content on the PC. Team Fortress 2 has thus far received over 50 free updates, some of them adding considerable content (new weapons, maps).
2. They seem to base their business model on giving out free updates. Sales spike 20 percent whenever free updates are released and it builds customer loyalty.
3. Valve has stated in the past that they'd prefer to give out free downloadable content on the 360, but Microsoft won't let them

If I had to venture a guess, Valve will release this pack for free, repackage the game and use the new content to justify keeping the 50 dollar price tag. With that being said, I'm waiting to buy Left 4 Dead once it reaches 20 dollars.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with what Sub and Majin said on the chat box, this game is definatly not worth 50 dollars. I mean, it's a low budget game for a high price of sale. If people think carefully the only great thing abou L4D is the idea behind the game (killing zombies + co-op + fastshooting + bosses) (and we all have an idea that ideas writers are badly payed), for the rest, I think it can be made by a team who knows how to mod the source engine properly, not necessarily Valve it self. I mean, BlackMesa seems to explore better the source engine than L4D, but lets say they are equally well developed....black mesa will be for free (I think). I'm not saying L4D is not worth any money, but 25 dollars for it would make valve and their publisher get like what? 30%? 40% of profit? making it 50 dollars is pure profit I think.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't fault valve really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom