is the wiimove really all that innovative ?

Best answers
i mean, now that i think about it more, how is the controller anymore innovative then a wireless mouse...it just has a analog stick in place of the arrow keys on the keyboard...im startin to think that it might not be so innovative after all..:(

Best answers
It's quite innovative and it's revolutionary because it has not been fully introduced into the gaming industry previously. Also, it's not the technology that's innovative(not anymore) it's the way it's being used in Video Games, that makes it innovative. It's up to the developers to make something new and innovative with the Wii-mote. I find the Playstation 3's motion sensor controller to be slightly more superior-- its more advanced because it doesn't need an laser to read anything. It has a wirless reader and an measurement system that doesnt require the remote type design-- however, im still glad Nintendo went with their current design though, it'll surely feel fresh either way and i still think it will allow for alot more innovative gaming titles in the future, then that Playstation 3's version of it. That's not to start a system war either, just a minor comparison.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A wireless mouse can only track movement on a flat surface. The Revolution's controller can track movement in space. That's how it's more innovative.

Best answers
Exactly the actual controller isn't actually innovative, it's the way it's going to be used. Think of the ds the system is innovative but really it's just a handheld that uses a touch screen, however the ways that games can be played on it are "innovative".

Best answers
uhh but how is the ps3 controller supeior or advanced, when it cant eve rumble diamond ?..i understand now, but i just dont see why people are acting like its a godsend so much to save the gaming industry, and industry that has growing and rising profits, all signs of an industry that is flourishing, not dying and needing to be saved by nintendo...i just think it might end up overrated and what will they have to base the wii on if it fails o_O

Best answers
Babyboy said:
uhh but how is the ps3 controller supeior or advanced, when it cant eve rumble diamond ?..i understand now, but i just dont see why people are acting like its a godsend so much to save the gaming industry, and industry that has growing and rising profits, all signs of an industry that is flourishing, not dying and needing to be saved by nintendo...i just think it might end up overrated and what will they have to base the wii on if it fails o_O
Well people say that the lack of innovation (by people I mean Nintendo) and the rising cost of video games and consoles are going to shrink the market; thus Nintendo wants to save the day (by save I mean make the most profit).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you think about it, even the way its being used isnt all that new, theres many arcade games with interactive sets, football (soccer, stupid american pig dogs...) games are a prome example, where you kick the ball into the net and it shows whether you score or not.

theres some martial arts games which detect your movements within a given space to see if youve blocked, dodged, or parried.

and lets not forget the light gun, thats where the interactive controller began, and its still one of my favorite toys. the wiimote is just a small step up, especially if you considder the above examples (there really are a lot more.)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there was a ps1 controller with motion sensing ages back, i mentioned this awhile ago in a thread arguing about "sony stealing the technology" but had no evidence to prove it existed.

it was called the tiltforce2, a playstation magazine did an article about it to defend against the people calling sony "controller thiefs" (dont have any scans, sorry)

these new motion sensing controllers are not innovative, or new in concept, and if the tiltforce2 was any indication, People would much rather just play with a standard controller.

I have a gut feeling that the MORE they try to push the wiimote into their games, (as opposed to a standard controller) the more people are going to be trading it in towards a 360 or ps3 =/.

and thats not a fanboy comment, can ANY of you name a SINGLE succesful psx game that used the tiltforce2?... i didnt think so.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When saying the two controllers are similar, but differ in how popular/how many people used them, you can't compare some gimmicky PS1 controller with a controller that Nintendo focuses much of its marketing on. It is hyped much more, therefore more people know about it compared to that PS1 controller, and therefore, it is natural for the Wiimote to be much more widely known than the PS1 controller.

Therefore, saying that the technology wasn't interesting enough for gamers back then does not mean it will fail now. Nintendo has hyped the tech and potential for it far greater than I assume SONY did for its controller.

Best answers
uhh but how is the ps3 controller supeior or advanced, when it cant eve rumble diamond ?.
What makes you think that rumble is such an advancement, in the technological department ?

not dying and needing to be saved by nintendo...i just think it might end up overrated and what will they have to base the wii on if it fails
This is why I have been leaning alittle towards supporting the Playstation 3 fully now. Im begining to dislike quite alot of my fellow Nintendo Fans for being obnoxiously blind all the time, on alot of decisions Nintendo is making, and their stances. I've been preaching it for months. I'm in love with Wii console and it's (chick friendly ^_^ YAY) Wii-mote. But either way, lately, I have been absolutely sick of all the secrecy hype and false claims that Nintendo does make. This industry is nowhere near dying, or even getting stale for that matter, and we don't need Nintendo and their innovation to save the day. Im very happy that they are pushing for new ideas and i really do think the Wii-mote will turn out to be extraordinary, but it's certainly not something the industry necessarily needs to thrive, like Nintendo falsely suggests.

The video game industry has been growing year after year, and it hasn't been because of "innovation" and "change". It is because video games are starting to become an accepted form of entertainment among the mainstream, right up there with film and television. That is the direction the industry needs to head in to expand, and that is what Microsoft and Sony are pushing for, not Nintendo's, not yet anyway. Video games need to be elevated as a sophisticated and diverse art form, much like the film industry. Quirky motion sensing is a big risk(When your basing your entire system on it), and most likely won't reach out to mainstream as much as i had initially thought, as far as gaming systems goes(handhelds are the major acception). Wii Sports, Bob Ross painting, and ect can only convert so many people. I guess i had to wake up from my Nintendo fantasy land and face some of the facts.

Best answers
so ur saying that innovation isnt needed but ya know..the day when people get bored of conventional games will come man, so to keep the industry alive somebody needs to do something about it..and what better time than now preevntion is more effective than the cure.

it's easier to keep a fire burning than it is to relight it after it goes out...sony and ms should not want to squeeze every last bit of entertainment out of conventional gaming before changing how games are played.. people will get bored, stop gaming and it will be much harder to convince them to start again...it's important to keep the industry dyanmic, keep it moving to keep people on their toes and keep them interested :D :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But at the end of the day, none of this matters.

It's good to have variety, at the very least. You will agree with me on that, yes?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard that the wii mote will be quite expensive though, ?60 each here the uk, anybody know if this is true?

the ? is a pound (gbp) sign, for some reason it doesnt show up o_O

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
But at the end of the day, none of this matters.

It's good to have variety, at the very least. You will agree with me on that, yes?
I agree wholeheartedly. ^_^

I've heard that the wii mote will be quite expensive though, ?60 each here the uk, anybody know if this is true?

the ? is a pound (gbp) sign, for some reason it doesnt show up
Im pretty sure no one knows yet, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering the 'new' technology that the Wiimotes contain, I do expect them to be more expensive than normal controllers, as they likely take more effort to build than, say, a standard PS2 controller. o:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can also expect a bunch of little addons for your left hand, too.

It could go either way. I see people either picking it up and using it and thinking it's the future of all console games, or I see them picking it up and finding it completely awkward in everything but a first person shooter. There really won't be much middle ground.

@Diamond Princess: It's good to see people acknowledging both sides of the fence, rather than rabidly/blindly defending one. We could use more people with that kind of attitude around here. Good work!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not like I can't say wether it's innovative or not until I actually use it =/

But from I can say now, it DOES look fun to hold, seriously.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
A wireless mouse can only track movement on a flat surface. The Revolution's controller can track movement in space. That's how it's more innovative.
Just returning to the actual topic at hand, here; frsrblch is correct. It's quite different when pitted against a wireless mouse. A mouse will track two-dimensional movement along a surface, where the Wiimote will allow control along the remaining Z axis (that is, whereas you can move a mouse left and right, as well as to and fro, and any combination of those directions, the Wiimote will also detect movement going up and down, as well as left and right, and to and fro - essentially, a mouse allows complete control in a 2D sense, whereas the Wiimote seeks to offer control in a 3D sense).

nuttzy said:
if the tiltforce2 was any indication, People would much rather just play with a standard controller.
I think that's a valid concern, but I don't believe that it's as applicable to this situation. For one, the PSX, itself, wasn't designed specifically to cater toward games that would allow use of that control. Much like a DDR pad, or a steering wheel control, the "tiltforce2" was released only to deal with, at best, a small handful of games that would require extra control in the form of tilting - that really only helps, imo, in games such as flight sims. The Wiimote, on the other hand, is the primary control for the Wii - developers already know that motion sensing is going to be a big feature for Wii titles, whereas the Tiltforce was brought in at some point in the middle of the PSX's lifetime to make an attempt (apparently, a failed one) to introduce a new way of controlling a system that already had a well-established system. With the Wii, on the other hand, the "full 3D" control is not some third-party peripheral waiting to leap into the market when the console's sales are peaking. It is a known, integral feature of the console, and there are already major developers designing (or planning to design) titles for this method of control. One of the issues, I'm sure, with the Tiltforce is that it didn't have enough significant titles to back up what it was trying to do. I maintain a shred of hope that circumstances are different this time.

However, that's only a prediction. As the Tiltforce was introduced in a different context, I'm inclined to believe that things might be a bit different. However, that's optimism on my part - I'm still waiting to see some solid demonstrations of this Wiimote being used over several gaming genre. I prefer not to defeat the idea before it can attempt to make an honest appearance. In any case, I like to leave my tastes open - in the event that the Wii does not prove to be a successful idea, I can always fall back on my ever-present gaming nostalgia to seat me comfortably with the familiar, Sony-style gamepad.

Time will tell, folks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know quite as much about both systems as some of you people but I'll be buying both of them when they come out.

The main reason I'll be picking up a PS3 isn't for any revolutionary innovations or things like that. Rather simply, I like the selections of games PlayStation has; plenty of RPG type games and Guitar Hero got me hooked at my friends house. That coupled with the fact that I can play PS2 and PS1 games on the PS3 means I'll have a MASSIVE amount of games to play (that's a good thing, considering I don't own a PS1 or PS2).

The main reason I'll be picking up a Wii is because the controller caught my interest, honestly. In truth it does look "revolutionary" for a gaming console, even if arcade games have had similar things before. Nintendo doesn't have quite the wide variety of games the PlayStation has, but it's got some solid titles I'd like to pick up, I really don't care if they're "rehashed" or not. Call that "fanboyism" if you like, it doesn't really matter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom