Is the Internet considered "Virtual Reality"?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whenever I speak of my real life outside of the Internet, I state it as "reality". But then does that mean that the Internet is "virtual reality"? We can read, talk, view, watch each other all on the internet, so could it be considered "reality"?

What do you think?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For me it is some kind of virtual reality on social level, because a lot of people act differently on the net.
Then there are those chat-room like things where you have a 3d avatar.
That's even one step closer to VR.
But I think 'real' VR would be if you smell, see and feel things that are not real (= beiing physically present)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, virtual society might be more accurate, because we aren't really "in" the internet.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whenever I speak of my real life outside of the Internet, I state it as "reality". But then does that mean that the Internet is "virtual reality"? We can read, talk, view, watch each other all on the internet, so could it be considered "reality"?

What do you think?
What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you mean what we can taste, smell, hear and feel then what's "real" is nothing more than electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

Anyway, the internet is used to transfer data to and from computers. Thus, the internet is nothing more than a form of communication. A virtual reality on the other hand is another form of reality, one that is simulated by computers and/or software. In ways, you can probably consider the internet a virtual reality based on the definition of virtual reality, with the exception of the 3d interactive component.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah "virtual society" fits much better, becuase people do/say **** that they would not probably do in real life.

Best answers
Nice thought, yeah I'd say it is a virtual reality. But sometimes it gets hard to differentiate it with the real world. And thats when one needs a rest of sorts. Although we do say stuff we'd never say out loud in real life, it doesn't actually mean we wouldn't say them. Its just the circumstances. There's actually a much lower chance of people actually laughing at our faces online. However, when we are online, we are required to be stronger as well, if not conservative of what we do say. Since you wouldn't know most people for a long time, blatant criticism on your work would actually find a way to hurt you. In real life, thats where people are conservative. They will not say "meh". Not to mention any reply online given in CAPITALS IS RUDE and could hurt you. It's not how you'd say... virtual, yet I find that it is like a second life that you lead. A life that constantly changes. Where you constantly meet new friends. And face different challenges that you'd never face in real life. Yes, the internet is a virtual reality. But one that mustn't be thought of as non-existant.

whew. :) Johnny Quest anyone?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you mean what we can taste, smell, hear and feel then what's "real" is nothing more than electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
Dude, wtf... Don't quote The Matrix while I'm around...

Best answers
No, no, youre all wrong...
Internet is made from series of tubes, that get clogged if you throw too much trash in it...
...or something along those lines...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom