Is Steam problematic?

Best answers
I tried to order Half-Life off Steam with my debit card three times now and it keeps saying that it's 'potentially fradulent'. Then when I tried to use one of my Credit Cards that wouldn't work either. On their forums there seems to be alot of other problems like this. Just wondering if this happens alot or somthing, all I wanted was to play this MOD and I can't even buy the game to play it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have steam problems.... about steam...which is related to valve....and not esf.... why here? Why the ESF forums?

To help you out: www.bestbuy.com It's 20 dollars.

Best answers
Wal-Mart.com says it should be on the shelves 10/11/05 in the 9.99 section so I can simply check over there after I get off work tonight at Staples.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never had any major issues with steam to be honest
I use it, it works, I like

But like Fire Phoenix said, this isnt a ESF problem
chances of you finding an answer here are slim, sure you might get one but it's really better to ask on the steam forums or just get a new legaly bought key

Best answers
Well I mainly want to play ESF, not mess around with Steam. Steam won't respond to any of my posts, support tickets, or PM's. I'm not paying 20 bucks for a game that i can get for 10 off steam.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
unfortunately i found the steam team to be very incompetent, although granted they probably get about 2000 different post and emails anywhere from a day to a weak

Best answers
Because their system is very problematic, how come this game doesn't run on its own?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ssjflint said:
Because their system is very problematic, how come this game doesn't run on its own?
Because it's a half-life mod.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I noticed the increase of threads in the Steampowered forums which state problems with validation of their credit cards.

Just buy it at the store for a very cheap price. Better yet, look for a pre-owned one which should be very cheap. The only downside to a pre-owned Half-Life game is that the CD-Key would be in use.

You also must realize Steam is still in development much like this modification is. Meaning the final product has yet to be released. The only time you will know when the final product is released is when there are no more "Steam 3.1, Steam 4.0, Steam 100.0". At least that is what I personally believe.

Also the new Steam has a different store system than the previous store system. So I would not expect much from it this early into the release/update. Not to mention this version of Steam has a lot to be fixed hence why it was called a Beta.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe repeated attempts to purchase half life through steam with credit cards, even as few as two different cards, flags the account for potential fraud.
This is only my suspicion however, and shoudn't be taken as fact :)

Best answers
Yes, I tried to use my debit card twice and it says it is fradulent, then I tried to use my credit card twice and it's saying that too. It would suck if they actually did get in contact with my bank and messed up my credit and debit cards. But since it's a problem with others I don't think they will. Wal-Mart is supposed to be coming out with a copy of Half-Life for 10 bucks, I was there last night after work (I work at Staples, my store used to carry it but now were out of stock and it's discontinued) and the only closely related thing is the HL Anthology or the CS Anthology for 20 bucks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[SAS]Orion said:
I believe repeated attempts to purchase half life through steam with credit cards, even as few as two different cards, flags the account for potential fraud.
This is only my suspicion however, and shoudn't be taken as fact :)
Yes'm, I believe you hit the nail right on the head. I remember seeing a thread about one guy who tried something like that. One of the Valve guys came in and was like "You tried to use 15 different credit card numbers".

The guy had nothing to say after that. Gonna assume it's the same sort of thing here. /me nods

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
Yes'm, I believe you hit the nail right on the head. I remember seeing a thread about one guy who tried something like that. One of the Valve guys came in and was like "You tried to use 15 different credit card numbers".

The guy had nothing to say after that. Gonna assume it's the same sort of thing here. /me nods
Exactly the thread I was thinking of :)

Not that i'm accusing you of trying 15 different cards of course, that's just where I got the information from :)

Best answers
I tried maybe six times with the same debit card, twice with the other. I just wanna play ESF, sick of dealing with Steam. I submitted two support tickets and still no response.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that might be why :(
Your only option is to wait for valve to contact you i'm afraid.

You could purchase half life in a store of you see it thought, that would work.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
all power to the ppl who bought half-life 1997 before steam was even invented XD
anyway. steam isnt a bad thing after all, in fact, i never had real issues with it. i never ordered anything online through steam though.
buy it in a box, enter your key, load it and play :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom