Is my finger broken?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never broken anything in my life, but I'm wondering right now if I've actually broken the first joint (not the knuckle) of my right ring finger.

Last night, late, I tweaked that finger backwards a bit when I lost balance on my bed and tried grabbing my computer desk to stop falling. It hadn't really hurt. It was more like what I'd feel if I'd really hit one of my toes. I kept it in a comfortable position overnight, but still it's not good to move it too far in either direction. It's not really pain, but I feel a good deal of pressure that builds up if I try. There's mild swelling, and the palm-side shows an almost unnoticable small blue bruise at the joint.

I'm going to see a doctor about it tomorrow. Right now it's more a major annoyance than anything else, but something I'd rather not spend a long time with either way. I also notice that you can keep the muscles at rest and use your other hand to bend the finger considerably further before pressure or pain is felt.

Anyone have a thought?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have to ask, the answer is no.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you can't mvoe it at all, then yes, it is broken.

if there's slight movement, then you sprained it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're going to see a doctor tomorrow, why even bother posting here?

Best answers
Don't bother with the doctor's visit, it isn't broken. Doctor will just tell you to try to take it easy and not f it up even more. Then he'll take your monies.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it has a small range of motion, about 45 degrees of freedom. It feels best half curled, between the extremes. Sprain sounds about right, really. I had thought though that spraining only lasted a few hours, which is why I wondered about a break. I don't know what breaks feel like, so I couldn't be sure.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it has a small range of motion, about 45 degrees of freedom. It feels best half curled, between the extremes. Sprain sounds about right, really. I had thought though that spraining only lasted a few hours, which is why I wondered about a break. I don't know what breaks feel like, so I couldn't be sure.
definite sprain. you wouldn't be able to move it if you broke it.

Sprain can last from a few days to a week or two.

depending on the severity.

no need for a doctor. if anything, within 3 days if you still cannot move it at all, go see a doctor.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks, I'm glad to know I won't need a doctor to try and painfully pop a joint into place or something. And it can move, sure, I just can't make a fist or do a "Vulcan" sign r anything like that X]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
best way to know is to get it looked at. doesnt really help to ask here :s

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm 90% sure it's a sprain. That comes from a first aid certified person, but unless I see it I can't be 100%.

You can move broken limbs, though you will feel a grating sensation when you do. You might not be able to move with a severe sprain, especially if you tore the tendons or ligaments in your hand.

Best answers
when i broke my leg in half and the bone poped out, i could still move my toes lol. So just because he can move it doesn't mean it isn't broken lol

and yeah its probably a sprain

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when i broke my leg in half and the bone poped out, i could still move my toes lol. So just because he can move it doesn't mean it isn't broken lol

and yeah its probably a sprain
Yeah, your toes.

but were you able to move your leg? I doubt it.

I broke my shoulder, but I was able to move my fingers. As for my arm, I couldn't lift it or anything.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm telling you, you can move a fractured or broken limb . . . I've seen it several times. Not well, but sometimes sprains or severe connective tissue damage are worse.

But what the hell do I know, I'm only first aid certified and have used it quite a few times to help break and sprain victims.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the muscles are still intact, then yes, you should be able to move your limbs whether they're broken or not, though the movement will be limited since the bone is broken.

I never broke anything before either, but I have been told by numerous people that you'll know when you've broken something.

Best answers
I've had my right leg fractured when I was younger. Broken limbs can be moved , however the pain is atrocious. I even tried going back on my feet. I could but when I tried using the broken leg I just fell down again.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with DiebytheSword, I probably don't know as much as him but in the past I've researched sprains and this sounds like one. Even a dislocation is agonizingly painful and a break... well you'd know if it was.

Anyone familiar with RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. That will help.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone familiar with RICE? Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. That will help.
<object width="300" height="110"><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/43Y_8opjeX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="300" height="110"></object>

The voices made me do it. :(

You'd still be able to move a broken bone as long as there's no muscle damage, it'd probably hurt like hell though. If it doesn't hurt when you move it, you didn't break it. Just don't use it for a while.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shove it up your ass, and if you enjoy it, you might be a homosex--- err wait, what was the question again?

Oh, right, like others have said, if you have 45 degrees of motion with minimal pain, it's very unlikely that it's broken.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If it were broken, I can promise you the following would happen

A. You'd scream.
B. You'd cry.
C. You'd be lashing out in pain.
D. You wouldn't be able to move your finger at all.
E. All of the above.

I'm not even kidding. Breaking a bone hurts, it hurts bad.

I wouldn't cry though. I'm a tough macho man that only cries after sex. Not breaking something insignificant like a finger.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I'm feeling sure it's a sprain too. I woke up this morning with increased mobility. Still can't curl it well, but I can straighten it well enough now. My Dad's sure it's a sprain. He tells me he's broken fingers many times. And yeah, sometimes without thinking I overcurled it, but it was more of a sudden "Ouch! Oh yeah, probably shouldn't do that..." than agonizing pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom