Is it possible to play with Joystick?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I have a Joystick PC Can I play with him ?, and if not, then you can do it?

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You can. I wouldnt recommend it. You need snap aiming with precise movement. No joystick is capable of that. But if you want to give yourself sich a big handycap, then simply go to options and turn on joystick look. HL itself should support it, meaning so does ESF.

If not, then you can set it up as mouse emulation.

Basically playing this game with a joystick is suicide mode.

Capt'n Red Beard
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
You can. I wouldnt recommend it. You need snap aiming with precise movement. No joystick is capable of that. But if you want to give yourself sich a big handycap, then simply go to options and turn on joystick look. HL itself should support it, meaning so does ESF.

Challange Accepted!!!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers

You don't have to worry I Pro in Joystick

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't have to worry I Pro in Joystick
Can you spin round 180ยฐ instantly and still have perfect aim with the joystick? If yes, then youll be fine, if not, then youll be at a dissadvantage.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
steam controller, keyboard + mouse emulation

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
steam controller, keyboard + mouse emulation
Not quite. Steam controller is like playing with a laptop mouse pad. While it is more precise than a joystick, its still inferior to a mouse. Its a great inbetween though. It should allow people to play RTS games with a controller along with shooter games. But twitch shooters are not really one of them. The mouse movements needed are to big for the touch pad of the steam controller.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I didnt say its the best way to play, im 100% mouse ans keyboard, just said that its possible to use a steam controller since it emulates a mouse and keyboard
Not quite. Steam controller is like playing with a laptop mouse pad. While it is more precise than a joystick, its still inferior to a mouse. Its a great inbetween though. It should allow people to play RTS games with a controller along with shooter games. But twitch shooters are not really one of them. The mouse movements needed are to big for the touch pad of the steam controller.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS ZenFone 2 mit Tapatalk.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
For me precise aim will ALWAYS be from the wrist, not the fingers. any form of tracker pad is useless to me

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
For me precise aim will ALWAYS be from the wrist, not the fingers. any form of tracker pad is useless to me
Thread title is: ''Is it possible to play with Joystick?'' answers was yes

its not ''hey corealex, what is the most precise aim for you?''

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒน Regular Rosรฉ
Best answers
Heยดs obviously giving you his advice and opinion on the matter, and if some of you bothered to play 1.2.3 you would know for a fact it is impossible to play correctly with a controller.

Misanthropist
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Hell you could use GlovePIE and play using almost any input device - random controllers, and other electronics like MIDI or even a toaster if you were motivated enough. It's not always easy but it can be done. Having fun doesn't necessarily require you to be obsessively competitive.

I once experimented with an Emotiv EPOCH (a contextual EEG neuro-interface for PC) and ESF which was ultimately useless unfortunately (but fascinating nonetheless). A motion glove proved far more efficient. You'd really be surprised what you can do if you try all sorts of different haptic and input ideas. The mouse isn't the only effective XY controller in the universe yknow...

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒน Regular Rosรฉ
Best answers
Long story short yes you can but you will die a lot.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒน Regular Rosรฉ
Best answers
You will get killed plenty of times

Misanthropist
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You got your explicit answer in the first reply. Don;t get pissy that's it sparks a discussion :S

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Obviously the controls are not designed for joystick and I don't expect them to be anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom