Is it possible to not sleep?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
No offense to you as person, but that is a load of bullcrap.

You're heart doesn't need the rest, your heart even keeps when you are asleep at the same rate.(If you arent running or anyother activity that may influence your heart rate)
Scientist think it's brain related and that the brain needs a "refresh".(The brain just keep working, but in a different way)
Actually, yeah you're heart does. Not only is my bloodpressure bad because of sleeping improperly (which directly damages the heart by increasing the amount of work it has to do) but a close family friend died from working three full time jobs and only getting two days worth of sleep a week.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:

You're heart doesn't need the rest, your heart even keeps when you are asleep at the same rate.(If you arent running or anyother activity that may influence your heart rate)
Scientist think it's brain related and that the brain needs a "refresh".(The brain just keep working, but in a different way)
Actualy your heartrate drops during sleep. Same thing when you are totaly relaxed ^^

I even tested that myself. With modern electronics. I was hooked up to a puls meter cause i became a bit weak after inhailing a bit to mutch smoke at a fire we had once. After a while my puls was 90. Well i closed my eyes and started to breathe deaply in throo my nose and out throo my mouth. Slowly ofcourse.

My pulse droped by about 10 after i opend my eyes again i saw it at 80 than it jumped back to 90. And it was 90 all the time i had my eyes open. Similar when you sleep. Your bodey regenerates and your heart beats slower. Its all part of the process of saving up energy.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Doesn't change the fact that we still use the "fruits of their labor", if you will.

My advice is stay up as long as you can and find out. I'm sure the effects differ from person to person.
Most of the records were destroyed since Hitler did not want any evidence of anything he did to be discovered (one of the reasons he and his right hand man killed themselves). The only thing I know of that the experiments did that benefited a lot of people was the creation of the nuremberg code of medical ethics.

Devion said:

Your heart rate slows down when you sleep and your body temperature decreases. It's not just the brain that is benefiting from sleep, it's your whole body. Sleeping gives your body time to recooperate from whatever you did that day.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The short answer to this thread is "No, it's not possible to forego sleeping." As to the complex nature of sleep, nobody knows. Medical science knows very little about sleep, how the body 'regenerates' through sleep, or what the mind does during sleep.

Most educated people believe sleep allows the brain to organize and sort through the memories you created that day, but again, nobody really knows. Perhaps there is some way to permanently avoid sleeping. But as I said, modern medical science knows nothing of it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just get a cyborg body. You never have to commit the digusting acts of eating or disposing of bodily waste either.

But in all honesty, though I've sometimes regarded sleep as a waste of time as well, you shouldn't see it that way. Sure, you may get more work done pulling an all-nighter, but then your entire next day is usually shot by either sleeping, or feeling like crap because you need to sleep.

Get your regular eight hours of sleep a night (something I should try better to live by myself) and you should develop a comfortable schedule. We may know very little about the inner workings of sleep, but we know it's something you can't live without.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep... ask him

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i usually get between 2-4 hours sleep per night.

it sucks.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like to get 9 hours of sleep a night, but sometimes there are times when I can't go to sleep for 1 or 2 days at a time. Doc said theres nothing wrong with me, and the only thing he can do is give me sleeping pills but theres no way in hell I'm taking those.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
i usually get between 2-4 hours sleep per night.

it sucks.
Wow, then you're awake for 20 hours or 22 hours per day? Wow... I can do so many things in those hours.

How do you do it? Taking caffine naps? D:

Best answers
Cucumba said:
I have permanent kidney and liver damage, as well as hypertention, from sleep apnea. A condition in which you never really sleep because you gag on your tounge while you snore. This had been going on for years, and the sleep study done on me showed that at it's worst I was "woken" from deep sleep 64 times in one hour. Lighter sleep was in the 30 range, but you get the point:

*I am now considered diabetic, but supposedly it can be controlled with diet, so I may not need insulin just yet.
*I have a problem holding potassium in my blood, which causes salt not to be excreted from cells and the blood stream. It also affects how well my electrolytes are distributed to my muscles, giving me severe cramps, and heart "weirdness".
*I have fatty liver disease from my body not properly ridding itself of wastes in the blood.
*When I finally got my blood pressure checked, I had a 200/120 BP, which can cause a stroke.

My doctor told me that had I stayed the way I was going, I would probably have a stroke (which can be lethal) at the tender age of 29.
My father had virtually the same problem many years ago. After he got himself an oxygen machine while he sleeps, he pretty much stopped having sleep apnea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MONXver2.0 said:
Who ells is tired of sleeping? It really is a waste of time IMO. :S
uhmm i though so too once, but then i just couldnt anymore, i had to sleep, or i would have headache all the time, red eyes, no power and always feeling sleepless.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
In lab rats, it takes 28 days for them to die, though it's undocumented in humans. It takes a few days to hallucinate. Insomnia doesn't mean you get no sleep at all, it just means you don't get reasonably enough sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tripp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Gardner_(sleep_deprived)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

All interesting reads on sleep deprivation.

EDIT: Fire Phoenix, care to cite a source? Not trying to call you out, but I wasn't aware of such a study and would like to read it :O
Unfortunately I can't. I only remember it. I was young and I read it somewhere. But I remember it because my mother (who at the time was trying to become a nurse) did a research paper on it- and I found it facinating- that's why it kind of stuck. So unfortunately I can't cite any sources, but I remember- and if I remember correctly no one could sue anyone because they chose to be subjects of an experiment. So chances are it wasn't a big thing. (20 days may be a little off, but i remember a 20 somewhere in the topic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom