Is it possible to downgrade to SP1 without formatting my OS partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, here's the deal. I upgraded to SP2 a while ago, and I hate it. I found SP1 again (after losing it somewhere) and I want to downgrade. My question is: Can this be done without formatting my OS partition?

Best answers
Nope. Anyway why don't you like it? I mean if you want a less secure operating system thats more buggy then ok.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mainly it's because my drivers partially don't work with it. WMM is messed up and crashes, and I have no TV Display. Also keeps nagging me about updates. I just like SP1 more. So I'll have to format then?

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So what you are saying is that you want to downgrade to sp1 because you dont want to spend like 10 minutes updating your drivers? If you are complaining about windows asking for updates you can turn that off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I updated my drivers completely, the newest version from ATI's website. Still my TV display tab didn't open. When I go to Properties > Settings > Advanced I have only this:

I should have lots of other tabs, like OpenGL, Direct3D, Displays, Overlay, etc. I had around 12 tabs on SP1 with the same drivers. Also Windows Movie Maker doesn't work as it did on SP1, it either crashes or turns the clip upside down. Everything is bugged. I disabled the updates but that's about it. Now are you going to tell me if it's possible or what?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try the ATI Tray Tools (or if it's not there, get them).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright. Now look here: I know I'm being a tad harsh, and you all just want to help, but unless you know the answer to my question which is: "Can you downgrade from SP2 to SP1 without formatting the OS partition?" don't bother posting. You've all got good intentions, but I just don't like SP2. You know the saying "Newest isn't always best". At least for me it isn't. So please, don't post if you don't know the answer to this question.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I updated my drivers completely, the newest version from ATI's website. Still my TV display tab didn't open. When I go to Properties > Settings > Advanced I have only this:

I should have lots of other tabs, like OpenGL, Direct3D, Displays, Overlay, etc. I had around 12 tabs on SP1 with the same drivers. Also Windows Movie Maker doesn't work as it did on SP1, it either crashes or turns the clip upside down. Everything is bugged. I disabled the updates but that's about it. Now are you going to tell me if it's possible or what?
It's not worth it. You're better off with Service Pack 2.

For the Windows Movie Maker crashes, just do what I do. Instead of importing a whole movie into the collections, just use Fraps to record specific scenes that you want in your videos, then import the newly created video into Windows Movie Maker. Unfortunately, there are some movies that you just can't get into Windows Movie Maker, and I have found a number of them, usually among the AVI format due to the different codecs you can use for compression.

Now, for your original question. I think you can uninstall Service Pack 2 without formatting your operating system partition.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks, MC. Just one question for you: I formatted my OS partition once I installed SP2 (don't ask why, I'm just more experienced to do it like that, didn't want to **** anything up), so will following that guide still downgrade me to SP1, even though I made a clean install of SP2?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks, MC. Just one question for you: I formatted my OS partition once I installed SP2 (don't ask why, I'm just more experienced to do it like that, didn't want to **** anything up), so will following that guide still downgrade me to SP1, even though I made a clean install of SP2?
It should work, though I'm not too sure. It seems like you can uninstall Service Pack 2 like any other program.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope you're right. I'll do some backups first and then try that guide. It seems pretty simple and harmless. Thanks for your help, man.

Best answers
The reason you can't see those other tabs is because you installed ATi Control Center. It's a crappier alternative control panel.

BTW, moved to tech bench.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bah, thought this needed to be in Tech Bench, but I thought it was only for hardware. Oh well. Anyway, I'm sure I didn't install ATI Control Center, because I know it's crap. I chose not to install it when I updated my drivers.

EDIT: I tried that guide. Methods 1 and 2 don't work, and I'm not going further. I've learned not to mess with the serious stuff. I think I'll just format my OS partition anyway, nothing important is even on it xD

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hahah oh great

you do realise, when you move to SP1, you'll need to reinstall your pc within a few days anyway right?

it has more holes in it then swiss cheese.

[edit]
make that like less then 15 minutes if you don't have your internet security set-up properly, but that's just delaying the inevitable anyway

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I do have to agree with people here, SP2 is much better. Have you attempted to use older drivers for your video card?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hahah oh great

you do realise, when you move to SP1, you'll need to reinstall your pc within a few days anyway right?

it has more holes in it then swiss cheese.

[edit]
make that like less then 15 minutes if you don't have your internet security set-up properly, but that's just delaying the inevitable anyway
Do you realize that I have had SP1 for two years and had no problems with it? I never use the default Internet Security, I hate Microsoft. I have a good firewall and anti-virus program, don't need anything more.

@Skyrider: Yeah, I have tried. It didn't work.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey man , your sp2 had a instaler or it was trough autoupdate ?
If you instaled like i'v did once you can uninstal it to it's in the control panel , add/remove programs you can find it there it sould be even if you download it trough autoupdates (not 100% sure) but you can uninstall it from there the other method it's to reistal win but when it ask you if you want to format you do not accept, selec levea it as it is and continu install (this will only delete the old win and add your new windows)

Best answers
John I think he said he clean installed with a winXP sp2 CD.
dan_esf_fanatic said:
I formatted my OS partition once I installed SP2 (don't ask why, I'm just more experienced to do it like that, didn't want to **** anything up), so will following that guide still downgrade me to SP1, even though I made a clean install of SP2?
Anyway he said he's reinstalling windows anyway. :) Best choice seeing as itll even clean up any crap thats in ur registry. Back up! Back up! :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
downgrading to sp1 isn't pretty wise, but it should work if you uninstall it from registry, and via control panel, also, try on hunting for all sp files in windows folder

Best choice would be linux for you anyways, since you don't even play that much anymore ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NO!!!! No no no no. I'm not messing with linux again. No way, uh uh, never again!!!

@John: It wasn't through autoupdate, it had a CD of its own, but I did a clean install because my C partition was filled with useless **** anyways. I'll try that second option anyway, thought it would work like that, but I wasn't sure.

EDIT: Well, I installed SP1. Let's show some before-after pics:

BEFORE

AFTER

pwned xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom