Is it me or is the #esf IRC Channel not popular anymore?

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looking at my logs for the past couple of weeks I've noticed the declining of chatting going on in the channel. All I usually see is this for instance...

17:38:54 ] *· · ChanServ sets mode [ +l ] 31
[ 18:04:46 ] *· · Scruff` [ ~chrismack@?????? ] has quit IRC: Quit
[ 18:05:00 ] *· · ChanServ sets mode [ +l ] 30
[ 18:49:45 ] *· · Pcjoe|Studying [ pcjoe@?????? ] has quit IRC: Read error: EOF from client
[ 18:50:00 ] *· · ChanServ sets mode [ +l ] 29
[ 19:01:34 ] *· · Winlont [ ~xliteuser@????? ] has joined: #esf
[ 19:01:42 ] *· · Winlont [ ~xliteuser@????? ] has quit IRC: Registered
[ 19:01:42 ] *· · Winlont [ ~xliteuser@????? ] has joined: #esf
[ 19:07:20 ] *· · photoshopdocument [bdashorst@????] has quit IRC: Read error: Connection reset by peer

All day long and I am wondering where all the chatting and fun times went to and why their aren't so many users who visit the forum come chat with us in the channel even if its not esf related. #esf use to be a fun channel at one time going back a year or two maybe now its just user joins, user parts, user quits irc and so on I want to see this channel rise up from the dead and be the happening place it use to be.

Is it you don't know how to use IRC? Don't want to be bothered with it? Or is it something else?

So post your comments and suggestions on this topic and why you might not be visiting it anymore I would really like to see. Maybe we can get #esf to be the happening place it use to be instead of a graveyard that it is now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get IRC off my networks blacklist and i'll be there every night ;P

I remember the good times...all both of them I was there for anyway.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You may have noticed the decline of #esf occured shortly after I stopped idling in it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've just never really bothered to go and chat in IRC. I've dropped in like maybe 3 or 4 times and that's it. I dunno why, I just don't go. I guess I could try hanging out there a little more often, i'm not gonna promise anything though. :p

Best answers
esf is dieing.

now the irc room is dieing.

forums are next.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, most of the PEOPLEWHOIMNOTLISTING hang out in #CHANNELNOTGOINGTONAMEHERE But, like I was banned from #ESF and I mostly make the channel active by typing too much ;_;

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there is periods during the year where people are too busy for idling, such as fall, winter, and spring.

Summer is probably when it's usually packed.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, people are getting bored of 1.2 and anything that has to do with esf. Forums shouldn't be in any danger since we have the awesome off-topic section.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Finals may have a part in it. That's why I haven't been real active in there as of late.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Zeo hit it on the head. Which would explain why my post-count has hardly budged this month.

Best answers
Okay, i have a few questions.

Wtf is IRC? I know its "Internet Relay Chat" but I thought that was the forums the whole time. Is it a chatroom or what? and where can I download it at?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the #1 reason that I'm seldom in there these days is because of how university works. I'll pop into the channel during the odd month that I don't have exams (ie: September and January, plus a month or 2 in summer) and will actually chat. If I pop in during other months, I generally do so to speak to someone sepecifically. So, at the end of the day, classes really cut away much of the time I'd potentially be able to offer to IRC.

The other reason is that a lot of people who I used to chat with a lot have stopped showing up (either just in IRC, or on both IRC and the forums). I still come in to see if any of those folks have returned (even if just for a short time), but I often find people who don't really want to talk to me on IRC these days (aside from my adoring fans on the forum staff, heh).

Still, I agree - it would be nice to have some fresh blood in the channel. IRC used to keep the community tightly-knit, and there is usually quite the interesting bunch of people in there (well...there used to be, I can't speak for how things are nowadays, as I'm not in there as often), so I highly recommend the channel to anyone who enjoys this community.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The next forum competition may use IRC as a meeting ground for the task given. Perhaps that will give the infusion of new blood we're all looking for.

Don't quote me on that though. We're still working out the specifics of it ;)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So...how do I go about getting into the channel or server or w/e?

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I still idle in #esf, but I don't chat anymore. All the guys I used to chat with are gone >_>

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
suicidal_maniac said:
I still idle in #esf, but I don't chat anymore. All the guys I used to chat with are gone >_>
Only cause I'm banned :D

@Maj
I've seen GFK come back for sometimes, but I rarely see him still. I'd hang out for awhile, maybe he'll come back for a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom